Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Sports Illustrated's Top 10 SportsRadio Hosts?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 11-04-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I heard on the radio today that Sports Illustrated did an article on who they thought the top 10 Sports Radio hosts were. Does anyone have a link or the issue that has that? I'm curious to see who they are.

Here in Chicago my favorites are Mac, Jurko and Harry, afternoons on ESPN Radio, Golic and Greeny in the mornings, as well as Mike North on the Score, although I don't like his new morning show.
Old 11-04-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 232 Likes on 187 Posts
I miss Tony Bruno and Tony Kornheiser. I don't mind Van Earl Wright replacing Bruno so much since I like Andrew Siciliano and Crystal Fernandez as his sidekick on The Morning Extravaganza. Still a lot better than Mike & Mike IMO.

My favorites are the Sports Reporters (Andy Polly and Steve Czaban) from 5-7 on SportsTalk 980 in DC.
Old 11-04-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As soon as I heard that Mike North was on the list, I dismissed the entire list. His new show is completely unlistenable...as bad as Murph and Fred were, they were better. My morning are Mike and Mike now...they actually talk sports!!

I'm with you rabbit, if I had to pick a Chicago area team to put at the top of my list I'd be torn between Mac Jurko and Harry and Bohrs and Bernstein...complete opposites, but both good.

But Kornheiser ruled them all!
Old 11-04-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i too miss kornheiser but considering i don't really pick up espn radio too well, it doesn't matter much.
Old 11-04-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog

My favorites are the Sports Reporters (Andy Polly and Steve Czaban) from 5-7 on SportsTalk 980 in DC.
I do like there show but there are way too many comercials and Sports Updates (who needs 3 of those an hour on a regular sports day)

Andy doesn't seem to know much about any sport. The only thing he knows is Redskins so he get annoying really fast.
Old 11-04-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Somebody help refresh my memory...

Van Earl Wright was doing the CNN headline news sports reports like a couple years ago, right? Is that where I know him (and his voice) from? If so, that's why I can hardly listen to the extravaganza, since I associate that voice with highlights. That, and it just seems odd when the girl keeps calling him "Van Earl".

We don't get Mike and Mike, since until Cowherd, there's some local yahoos on. I can only take Cowherd in small doses.

After TonyK left, I was somewhat pleased to have Tony Bruno to fall back on. I am really saddened about the morning now.

I actually like listening to Dibbs and Showkiller (and to a lesser extent, DP) in the afternoon. I also enjoy listening to Bobby V, and Todd Wright in the evening (both more for entertainment), as well as... I forget his name. I remember him doing IRL coverage for ABC, but know I hear him sometimes Sunday evenings (don't know when the last time I heard him was) on ESPN, often, I think, from an IRL track pressbox. He covers all sports, not just motor racing. I just can't remember his name.

Jim Rome's.....

Long pauses in his sentences....

Start to annoy me very quickly.
Old 11-04-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
The Morning Grind w/ Martin Kilcoyne (local Fox sports director), Tim McKernan(local CBS sports reporter) and Jim "the Cat" Hayes (FoxSports Midwest reporter) on 590 The Fan in St. Louis is great. And you can listen to it live over the internet...for free.

www.kfns.com

Last edited by B.A.; 11-05-04 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-05-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it was Top 12, actually. I don't have my issue handy, but:

Mike and the Mad Dog (NYC)
Jim Rome (LA)
Tolbert and ? (Bay Area)
Some guy in Dallas
Some guy in K.C.
Some guy in Miami.

I don't think Mike and Mike were included. I could be wrong though.

Wish I could be more helpful.
Old 11-05-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would think at least one of the ESPN guys would be on it.. Maybe Dan Patrick

Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
I think it was Top 12, actually. I don't have my issue handy, but:

Mike and the Mad Dog (NYC)
Jim Rome (LA)
Tolbert and ? (Bay Area)
Some guy in Dallas
Some guy in K.C.
Some guy in Miami.

I don't think Mike and Mike were included. I could be wrong though.

Wish I could be more helpful.
Old 11-05-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Jim Rome might actually be decent if he didn't read emails, take phone calls, only interviewed guests and limited his show to a half-hour. But probably not.
Old 11-05-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by B.A.
Jim Rome might actually be decent if he didn't read emails, take phone calls, only interviewed guests and limited his show to a half-hour. But probably not.
Your average ass-kissing email:

Dear Jim-

Stop it!!! I just spit coffee all over my monitor at work! Your Manny Ramirez take was hilarious. I can't stop laughing. War Kevin Millar's gatorade cup, errrrr, flask in the clubhouse. I'm out.

Gus in Wocester
Old 11-05-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
Your average ass-kissing email:

Dear Jim-

Stop it!!! I just spit coffee all over my monitor at work! Your Manny Ramirez take was hilarious. I can't stop laughing. War Kevin Millar's gatorade cup, errrrr, flask in the clubhouse. I'm out.

Gus in Wocester
Rack it.

I'm glad he's off daytime here. But that's moot, since I listen to [hawk]Burns and Boerstein[/hawk] during that time.
Old 11-05-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Van Earl Wright was doing the CNN headline news sports reports like a couple years ago, right? Is that where I know him (and his voice) from? If so, that's why I can hardly listen to the extravaganza, since I associate that voice with highlights. That, and it just seems odd when the girl keeps calling him "Van Earl".
Van Earl is the smartest guy in the biz. Been doing radio and TV for all these years and has little or no actual sports knowledge. As the detroitsportsrag said about Van Earl's show that used to be on WDFN in Detroit:

"To this day, when Wright is brought up on WDFN, you are most likely to hear a story about V.E. admitting to not watching a Lions game because it was nice outside. That used to make for great Monday radio."
Old 11-05-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by clemente
As soon as I heard that Mike North was on the list, I dismissed the entire list.

But Kornheiser ruled them all!
Same here as well, Mike North is just complete garbage. And yes Korn is great.

And if Rome is on this list then I am sure this was created at 4am after a week long drug binge.

Some/many do not like Mike and Mad but looking at all of the competition I think they do a very good job. Good chemistry between the two.
Old 11-05-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

and as someone else said he has such......... long ......pauses... and every interview he mentions the guest names ever 15 seconds.... a shame because he does get good people

wish jim everett had really kicked his ass

Originally posted by B.A.
Old 11-05-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by j123vt_99
and as someone else said he has such......... long ......pauses... and every interview he mentions the guest names ever 15 seconds.... a shame because he does get good people
I heard like three minutes of one of his shows earlier this week. Some caller was praising (read: sucking up to) Jim by saying that it was great how Jim never says "ummm", "errr", etc while he talks. I just wanted to yell at the caller that it is because he trained himself to take huge pauses instead.
Old 11-05-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I miss Tony Bruno and Tony Kornheiser. I don't mind Van Earl Wright replacing Bruno so much since I like Andrew Siciliano and Crystal Fernandez as his sidekick on The Morning Extravaganza. Still a lot better than Mike & Mike IMO.

Ah, the good ol days of Angelo Cataldi, Tony Bruno, and Al Morganti. Bruno got greedy and left.

The great thing about Sports Radio in Philadelphia is they don't talk about teams other than the Eagles, Phillies, Flyers and Sixers. That is, of course, unless the other teams are PLAYING one of our 4.

Last edited by CRM114; 11-05-04 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-05-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by CRM114

The great thing about Sports Radio in Philadelphia is they don't talk about teams other than the Eagles, Phillies, Flyers and Sixers. That is, of course, unless the other teams are PLAYING one of our 4.

That must be some depressing radio then considering Philly has gone 22 years without a title despite being fully represented in the major sports.
Old 11-05-04, 02:27 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
Boers and Bernstein is the only show I listen too. Their war with Hawk Harrelson over the summer was highly entertaining and the Steve Alford interview from a few years ago, where they bashed Alford while they had him on the phone for trying to pressure the girl who Pierre Pierce raped to drop the charges, was awesome.
Old 11-05-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
TONY KORNHEISER IS BACK ON IN DC!!!!!!!!

Kornheiser Returns To WTEM - 11/5 - More breaking news on DCRTV. Washington Post sports columnist Tony Kornheiser (right) returns to the DC radio waves. Starting Wednesday, 11/12, Kornheiser will air live and locally on Clear Channel's SportsTalk 980, WTEM. From 9 AM to 11 AM. With a replay from 11 AM to 1 PM. Kornheiser began his radio show in 1992 on WTEM, before taking it national with ESPN Radio in 1998. And giving it up earlier this year. Also, Kornheiser does "Pardon The Interruption" with fellow Postie Michael Wilbon for ESPN TV. Last summer, there was talk of Kornheiser doing the morning show on Infinity's classic rock WARW. But that never materialized.
Old 11-05-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Awesome! Colin Cowherd sucked anyhow.
Old 11-05-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like both Mike & Mike and Jim Rome, so I guess I am in the minority, eh?
Old 11-05-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That must be some depressing radio then considering Philly has gone 22 years without a title despite being fully represented in the major sports.
Its therapeutic.

There is always enough controversy to keep things interesting.
Old 11-07-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

does anyone know if that station has a web feed? hope it doesn't affect PTI

Originally posted by Trelach24
TONY KORNHEISER IS BACK ON IN DC!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got my issue Friday and it doesn't look like anybody has actually posted the list, so here it is:

The Funk Brothers - Atlanta 790 The Zone
The Razor and Mr. T - San Francisco 680 KNBR
Jim Rome - Nationally Syndicated
The Hardline - Dallas KTCK 1310
Mike North - Chicago 670 WSCR
Kevin Kietzman - Kansas City 810 WHB
Paul Finebaum - Birmingham 960 WERC
Angelo Cataldi - Philadelphia 610 WIP
Mark Madden - Pittsburgh 1250 WEAE
Hank Goldberg - Miami 560 WQAM
Glenn Ordway - Boston 850 WEEI
Mike and the Mad Dog - New York City 660 WFAN

They don't rank them, other than the entire article is about The Funk Brothers. The others are listed on a graphic that says "Here are SI's choices of the shows that make the most noise." They don't really say these are the best shows, more like the loudest. Some of the descriptions are gruff, easily incensed, brazen, and downright nasty.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.