Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Hockey Goalie Question?

Old 06-20-04, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hockey Goalie Question?

Recently, there is a commercial running on TV with the line, "Who says pro athletes need to be in shape?"

It shows a shot of some massively overweight goalie who is able to lodge
his body in the goal, taking up all open space and blocking every shot.

Just wondering if there is actually any rule prohibiting such a person from playing goalie?

Could this type of strategy be effective in an actual game?
Old 06-20-04, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You can't be serious...

No, there's no rule. And if a player did need to go outside of the normal measurements outlined in the rule book by the league, they would make exceptions - case and point - Zdeno Chara had to ask the league to allow him to use a stick longer than the mazimum because of his extreme height.

As for the strategy...it would be about as effective as tits on a bull.
Old 06-20-04, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK. I'll admit I don't watch a lot of hockey. However, there are many
sports where players of excess size and bulk have advantages over others.

Most hockey players rely on speed and quickness. However,
couldn't a goalie actually gain an advantage by having a large body mass?

Of course, this question was inspired by a commercial from an obvious non-fan
Old 06-20-04, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd ay unless the goalie was so fat that he could take up every inch of net space, being that ****ing big would only hurt him.
Old 06-20-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, in that commercial it appears as if he is THAT fat.
Old 06-20-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Reminds me of my theory that the NFL should have a tiny midget running back... One they could give the ball to and then throw over the top of the line for the TD/first down.
Old 06-20-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Considering your standard NHL Hockey net is 6 feet wide, that would be a large ass person. They would have a heart attact putting on the equipment.
Old 06-21-04, 01:55 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Such a person would have a huge 5-hole (that's the gap between a goalie's legs for you non-hockey fans). Next time you see that commercial, watch for it. Also, as others have mentioned, the net is 6-feet wide, while the puck is only 3-inches in diameter. The ability to quickly move from side-to-side is a must.

I hate that commercial BTW.
Old 06-21-04, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Another great example of using size as an advantage:

Old 06-21-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Hockey Goalie Question?

Originally posted by diesteldorf

Just wondering if there is actually any rule prohibiting such a person from playing goalie?
Well I don't know about the pros...but I played against a guy that my team nicknamed "Fatty McCheeseburger"

He was quite the human pylon.
Old 06-21-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ah the old sumo wrestler in goal trick. the thing is, no matter how big the guy is, he can't cover every inch of the goal and his 5 hole all at once. you need to be nimble and quick to move and cover up your open areas.
Old 06-21-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Goblincat
Reminds me of my theory that the NFL should have a tiny midget running back... One they could give the ball to and then throw over the top of the line for the TD/first down.
They have rules against this, a team got to rekick a fg and win in the Playoffs last year, IIRC, because a player used another to project himself higher and block the kick.
Old 06-21-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Decker
Another great example of using size as an advantage:

Untiil MLB changed the rules shortly thereafter.
Old 06-21-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Untiil MLB changed the rules shortly thereafter.
Didn't know that. How were the rules changed?
Old 06-21-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Decker
Didn't know that. How were the rules changed?
I am pretty sure they changed the rules for some sort of height consistancy and the commissioner banned little people from baseball, but I don't have time to look for it. I could be wrong though.
Old 06-21-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Speaking of rule changes with regards to goaltenders. I believe sometime in the 50's a coach in the NHL tried to use both of his goaltenders in the net at once, 2 people should be able to cover the net right. Wrong, both of them kept fumbling over each and getting in each others way. After that, the NHL set up a rule with only 1 goaltender in the net at a time.
Old 06-21-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A goalie that big would have a heartattack putting on the equipment, also he would have all kinds of gaps that shooters could take advantage of. He would be tired halfway through the 1st period just trying to keep his balance.
Old 06-21-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Veeck's stunt came in the second game of a doubleheader between the Browns and Tigers on August 19. Between games Veeck staged an elaborate 50th-anniversary celebration for the American League, attended by Commissioner "Happy" Chandler. The celebration featured acrobats, antique cars, a band made up of Browns players, and for the finale, an anniversary cake. The 3-foot-7 Gaedel jumped out of the cake, wearing number 1/8 on a Browns uniform originally made for the son of former owner Bill DeWitt

Folks thought they'd seen the last of Gaedel, but in the bottom of the first he was announced as a pinch hitter for leadoff batter Frank Saucier. Gaedel came out of the dugout swinging a miniature bat. He had been signed to a legal contract days before, but Veeck delayed mailing the papers to the league office until the Friday before the big day. He wired the league office that morning to add Gaedel to the roster, and St. Louis Manager Zack Taylor had copies of both documents to show stern plate umpire Ed Hurley that Gaedel was a legitimate member of the Browns.

Over the objections of Detroit Manager Red Rolfe, Hurley allowed Gaedel to face lefthander Bob Cain. Hurley saw to it that the Tigers held to the letter of the law, forbidding catcher Bob Swift from sitting on the ground to provide a lower target. Gaedel, stationed in the righthanders' box, took a wide stance and crouched, leaving a minuscule strike zone. Hurley called all four of Cain's deliveries high.

Before the at bat, Veeck had warned Gaedel, "I've got a man up in the stands with a high-powered rifle, and if you swing at any pitch, he'll fire." (In James Thurber's story, "You Could Look It Up," which Veeck claimed he'd never read, a midget-little person may be politically correct, but there have been hundreds of "little" major leaguers but only one midget, Eddie Gaedel-was sent up to walk but, enticed by a fat pitch, grounded out.)

Gaedel trotted to first, where he was replaced by pinch runner Jim Delsing. Gaedel patted his caddy on the rump and trotted to the dugout accompanied by wild applause. "For a minute, I felt like Babe Ruth," Gaedel said in a postgame interview. Although Commissioner Chandler found the incident entertaining, AL President Will Harridge was not amused. He expunged Gaedel's name from the official records and banned any further appearances by midgets.

"Fine," Veeck wrote back. "Let's establish what a midget is in fact. Is it 3 feet 6 inches? Eddie's height? Is it 4 feet 6? If it's 5 feet 6, that's great. We can get rid of Rizzuto."

Here is more:
http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseb...in_wreck11.stm

Last edited by chanster; 06-21-04 at 03:36 PM.