Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

how exactly did pistons beat the lakers?

Old 06-19-04, 04:12 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

could someone break it down. a coach's type perspective would be great.

yes, it's constantly said that pistons defense overwhelmed lakers. but what specifically were pistons doing that other teams like spurs or twolves couldn't?

it's said how pistons contest every shot. what, did other teams just stand around and watch?
Old 06-19-04, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you read the Finals thread? Or even think about asking your question in it?
Old 06-19-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
- More cohesive as a team.
- Less off-the-court baggage.
- Much, much hungrier.
- "The Sixth Man" (Those Palace Crowds were undeniably a factor)
Old 06-19-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

they scored more points.
Old 06-19-04, 12:17 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

-They killed them on the glass
-They played great defense and made it hard for Kobe to take good shots and Shaq to get the ball
-Played much better team basketball
-Were the deeper team
Old 06-19-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrX
-Played much better team basketball

Ding! ding! ding! We have a winner!

And Phil Jackson knows this. One reason he's retiring IMO is that he knows he cannot effectively teach team basketball to this group of players. Jackson's triangle offense runs off the premise "you must give up the basketball to get better scoring opportunities". It took him years to convince Jordan of this. The problem with the Lakers now, is there are too many shot callers who want to make the highlight reel.
Old 06-19-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They let Shaq have his points but shut down the rest of the team. Which is pretty effective considering Shaq can only play 3 quarters of good basketball.
Old 06-19-04, 11:56 PM

two reasons why

malone busted hid knee(lakers needed malone not for his offense, but for his dirty work aka rebounds)

also the refs pretty much screwed the lakers(fouls)
Old 06-19-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk God

when all else fails.. blame the refs

sure.. detroit basically manhandled the lakers for all 5 games
sure detroit should have swept the series

but it was definitly the regs

Old 06-20-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by tucker
two reasons why

malone busted hid knee(lakers needed malone not for his offense, but for his dirty work aka rebounds)

So the answer of "The Lakers got flat out beaten by a better team," doesn't work for you?
Old 06-20-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Kinda like this:
Old 06-20-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by tucker
two reasons why

Old 06-20-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Quake1028
Is dat de river in egypt?
Old 06-20-04, 02:24 AM

wow... im sure it was all the refs... those 20 point games were determined by those miserable ticky-tack fouls, right?
Old 06-20-04, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know the Pistons dominated the Lakers, but any sane person can see the fouls were totally in the Pistons favor. Perhaps that was because more games were played in Detroit then LA. Still, nobody should say the Lakers lost because of the officiating, but regardless, it was god awful.
Old 06-20-04, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I know the Pistons dominated the Lakers, but any sane person can see the fouls were totally in the Pistons favor. Perhaps that was because more games were played in Detroit then LA. Still, nobody should say the Lakers lost because of the officiating, but regardless, it was god awful.
I know many people have said this, but honestly I just didn't see it this way. I saw ridiculous calls being made on both sides, but this is something that often happens in basketball. More fouls were called on the Lakers, but could that be because they actually were fouling more often? Of course I could be wrong, but this is just the way I saw it.

Regardless, as you said, ultimately it wasn't the refs who decided the series which is something we can both agree on.
Old 06-20-04, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Officiating being all on the Lakers side was a big thing said by some during their threepeat. There was even a sports journalist that wrote an article before the finals predicting the officials would turn on the Lakers because Stern knew the team had an uncertain future and the Pistons could be the next profitable dynasty for the NBA.

If you believe in the Stern controls the NBA conspiracy theories then there you go. Personally I don't. I think many superstars on all teams get calls made in their favor, because the league wants stars. I don't think Stern wants refs deciding the outcome of games though. The Spurs winning two titles should be proof enough of that considering they are in the smallest market and near the bottom of the list of teams the league could market to make money and draw ratings.
Old 06-20-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk God

I know the Pistons dominated the Lakers, but any sane person can see the fouls were totally in the Pistons favor. .
you meant any laker fan could see this
right?
Old 06-20-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No criticism of you, but this is what every fan of every team sees. I'm not saying you're making it up. I'm sure you really believe it. I don't have any citations in front of me, but there's actually psychology work to show that in uncertain situations people are more likely to see their team get screwed and the opponent get benefitted.

Also, now to get a little personal (just kidding), it takes a lot of cajones for a Laker fan to complain about preferential refereeing. Did you watch most of the season? Deck seemed stacked in their favor to me, in games I didn't have any stake in.
Old 06-20-04, 09:58 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 06-20-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Even if the calls were in the Pistons favor, it still doesn't explain how LA got their asses handed to them by as much as 29 points at one point.
Old 06-20-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Pistons were usually the aggressors. They drove to the basket, hustled like mothers, and generally didn't settle for tons of spot up shots. All of this motion helped then get more calls. The Lakers depended too much on jumpers, and didn't challenge the Pistons nearly enough.

The only thing the refs did was what they always do, give the aggressive team more calls.
Old 06-20-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
IMO i think browns stratagy of leaving Shaq alone and letting his players go after the rest of the team is what did it.

The Lakers got outplayed and outcoached.
Old 06-20-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never understood the notion of team foul shoots having to be the same or even close.Call it fairly, not trying to make fouls even when one team is outplayig the other. The Pistons beat LA in every aspect possible. The biggest reason the Lakers fouled so much was there lack of athleticism. At times they tried to mimmick what the Pistons did defensively (which would usually happen 3/4 times in 2 minute spurts) and would hack the Pistons cuz LA is old and unathletic (excluding KB8 and usually Malone pre injuries).LA's dynasty ran out of gas.
Old 06-20-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only person with any right to bitch about calls is Sheed. If youre not him shut up. And if youre a Laker fan bitching about calls you really need to shut up.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.