Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

McGrady wants out of Orlando

Old 06-19-04, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

McGrady wants out of Orlando

ORLANDO, Fla. - Tracy McGrady has reportedly told the Magic that he wants out of Orlando. McGrady informed the team of his decision in a meeting on Friday, the Orlando Sentinel and Florida Today newspapers reported on their Web sites, quoting league sources.

Magic spokesman Joel Glass declined comment on the reports. McGrady didn't answer phone calls, and someone who answered the intercom at his gated home said he wasn't there Friday night. His agent, Arn Tellem, didn't return a call from The Associated Press.

McGrady can opt out of his seven-year, $93-million contract after next season, and has said he will do that rather than suffer through more losses such as the 21-61 campaign that ended in April.

Team executives repeatedly have said they wanted to know soon if McGrady is in or out. They insist they won't let him walk without receiving compensation, as happened with Shaquille O'Neal, who joined the Los Angeles Lakers (news) as a free agent in 1996.

The future of the Magic apparently wasn't an interest for McGrady on Friday as he skipped a pre-draft workout by potential No. 1 overall pick Emeka Okafor.

McGrady also won't watch prep power forward Dwight Howard work out with the team on Saturday. The Magic own the top pick in the draft and are deciding who to take or whether they should trade the selection.

McGrady has said he'd rather see Orlando deal the pick it won in the draft lottery to acquire veteran help.

"That's his opinion," said Okafor, the 6-foot-10 center-forward from Connecticut.

Magic general manager John Weisbrod claims he has received trade bids that are intriguing and getting better by the day.

"There are teams offering three guys and their first-round pick. Three established players and a lottery pick is certainly a respectable offer for a team that has a lot of holes to fill," Weisbrod said. "It comes down to making a judgment of how special you think one of these two kids can be."
--------------------------------------------------

Well personally I hope they go for a Ron Artest-Al Harrington trade with Indiana. I'd love to see Artest in a Magic uni.
Old 06-19-04, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk God

One of the rumors around Phoenix is a trade that would involve Shawn Marion and the Suns 1st round draft pick this year for McGrady.
Old 06-19-04, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
One of the rumors around Phoenix is a trade that would involve Shawn Marion and the Suns 1st round draft pick this year for McGrady.
I just heard Marion and Stoudemire.
Old 06-19-04, 05:45 AM

I hear that the Pacers are considering Artest and Harrington for T-Mac.
Old 06-19-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Magic apparantly want Francis, Mobley, and CAto from the Rockets for McGrady. As a Rocket fan, I would do that in a second.
Old 06-19-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I just heard Marion and Stoudemire.
I can tell you, that isn't going to happen. They won't give up both for him. They want to keep Amare.
Old 06-19-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And why the hell would they? I mean he's a nice player, but Marion and Stoudemire are two potential superstars. I think Phoenix would be stupid to give up that much.
Old 06-19-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by cdollaz
The Magic apparantly want Francis, Mobley, and CAto from the Rockets for McGrady. As a Rocket fan, I would do that in a second.
Really? As a Magic fan I would love to see Francis and Mobley here, Cato is a nice bonus too.
Old 06-19-04, 02:08 PM
Banned

Really? As a Magic fan I would love to see Francis and Mobley here, Cato is a nice bonus too.
I am a Magic fan, I wouldn't want Francis here, I saw some Houston games and I am not impressed with him, why don't we get Yao Ming instead? I wish we could but I could dream, right?
Old 06-19-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DVDFreaker
I am a Magic fan, I wouldn't want Francis here, I saw some Houston games and I am not impressed with him, why don't we get Yao Ming instead? I wish we could but I could dream, right?
Well Yao would be great but I doubt Houson would deal him. Francis is a great penetrator he's not the best jump shooter but he's a clutch player. And I've always liked Cuttino, not the greatest SG in the league but he still gets his points. I'm still hoping for the Pacers deal and we get Ron Artest. Ron Artest and Emeka Okafor will make us next years Detroit Pistons!!
Old 06-19-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hear that the Magic wanted Artest, Harrington, Bender and Tinsley. I really can't seem them offering Artest in the package.
Old 06-19-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk God

francis is a really good player

mcgrady is a great player

francis, mobley & cato definitly benefit the magic.. especially since tmac wants out regardless
Old 06-19-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DVDFreaker
Yao Ming is the second most untradeable player in the league next to Lebron James.

Yao Ming is a money maker for Houston. He has single handedly helped make the Asian (esp. Chinese) community into fans of the NBA. Given Houston's huge Asian population, they sell out cuz of him.

On the road, any place with a decent sized Asian community sells out Houston games cuz of him.

Not only that, you can't teach 7'5," esp. someone whose 7'5" with the skills of a small forward.

On a side note, I watched the Chinese Under 18 National Team play the NYC Gauchos AAU team the other day in the Bronx. They beat the stronger Gauchos 97-85. The Gauchos couldn't shoot for crap. The best player on the Chinese Under 18 National Team wasn't even there cuz he's too good.

They had 2 sick guards that I think could play college ball. They were like 15 and 16 years old too.

One guy, Luo Zhi, is the second best player on the team and supposedly when Gilbert Arenas went to China with Jordan to do clinics, he played Arenas one-on-one and beat him to 8 but then Arenas said to play to 20 and he lost by a point or two.

China is gonna send 4 players to the Adidas ABCD camp in Hackensack, NJ this year.

China also has a PF/C on their National/Olympic Team, yi jian lian, whose supposed to be considered a top 5 draft pick in the 2005 or 2006 draft.

Last edited by Dabaomb; 06-19-04 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-20-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Shaq will go to back Orlando and T-Mac will withdraw his request to be traded (according to ESPN predictions).
Old 06-20-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Abranut
Shaq will go to back Orlando and T-Mac will withdraw his request to be traded (according to ESPN predictions).
Which begs the question, what can Orlando give up to get Shaq both in terms of salary and in terms of talent
Old 06-20-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jericho
Which begs the question, what can Orlando give up to get Shaq both in terms of salary and in terms of talent
The #1 pick is a nice way to start that kind of trade. You give that pick, more draft picks, and you use Howard and Hill to match salaries.
Old 06-20-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope we see a 3 team trade. McGrady, O'Neal, & who ever else wants in.
Old 06-20-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It would be interesting to see if the Pacers or Suns get into that 3 way trade.
Old 06-20-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by tofu
It would be interesting to see if the Pacers or Suns get into that 3 way trade.
I think they are only interested in McGrady and possibly signing Kobe.
Old 06-21-04, 12:04 PM
Retired

The top pick, and it would have to be a multi-team trade.

I've read that orlando is Shaq's top choice, but I still doubt it will happen.
Old 06-21-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
The top pick, and it would have to be a multi-team trade.

I've read that orlando is Shaq's top choice, but I still doubt it will happen.
Still, Shaq should bring A LOT more than the top pick. Nor does it make a ton of sense for the Lakers to bank so much on a rookie. Even if they trade Shaq, they should remain a legit contender with Kobe and at least something else of talent. Even with a third team involved, the Magic have nothing of real value to give them.
Old 06-21-04, 01:43 PM
Retired

Which is why I said I doubt it would happen.

If it did, I'd think it would involve the top pick and some players going to a third team, some veterans to the lakers, and probably Juwan Howard to the Lakers as well.

But I just don't see how they can make the numbers work, or get other teams interested in players other than McGrady.

Though I suppose they might be willing to ship McGrady to a third team, but what good is shaq without another star on the team.
Old 06-21-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still, Shaq should bring A LOT more than the top pick. Nor does it make a ton of sense for the Lakers to bank so much on a rookie. Even if they trade Shaq, they should remain a legit contender with Kobe and at least something else of talent. Even with a third team involved, the Magic have nothing of real value to give them.
remember, though, that Shaq is paid about $30 mil, plus can opt out after the coming year. Both of those things reduce his value to any other team. In other words, they're not going to get his "true" value in return...
Old 06-21-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

David Aldridge of ESPN wrote a nice article about it today summing up all of the realistic trade scenarios that he thought up
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...vid&id=1825532

His suggestion of a trade to the Nets is very interesting.
Old 06-21-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like ESPN is reporting that a McGrady to Houston deal for Francis, Mobley, and Kato is in the works and is almost done. More to come I'm sure.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.