Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Hidalgo to Mets

Old 06-17-04, 03:45 PM

Hidalgo to Mets

Its official the Mets have picked up Hidalgo for D. Weathers

The Mets are expected to pay him 8 mil while the Astros will pay the remaining 4 mil of his 12mil pay this year.

Big deal-

Last edited by knuckles; 06-21-04 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-17-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Hidalgo to Mets

Originally posted by knuckles
Its official the Mets have picked up Hidalgo for D. Wells

The Mets are expected to pay him 8 mil while the Astros will pay the remaining 4 mil of his 12mil pay this year.

Big deal-
wells is on the padres

this deal was for david weathers

houston got screwed
Old 06-17-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, in't it more like the Mets are paying 1/2 of his salary for the year (since half the year is over) less 4 million, plus another 2 million to buy out his contract in 2005.

So (12 million/2) = 6 million. Less 4 million, leaves 2 million for this year, and 2 more to buy out next year. Or, 4 million for him to finish 2004 with the Mets.
Old 06-17-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Hidalgo to Mets

Originally posted by db27
wells is on the padres

this deal was for david weathers

houston got screwed
Hidalgo has turned absolutely sour, plus he's making $12M this season. They also have a bullpen that has begun to fall apart. Considering they were trying to unload Hidalgo all off-season, they were hardly screwed.
Old 06-17-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, for as much as they paid Hidalgo and as little as he's done for the 'Stros, I'm amazed they could move him at all.
Old 06-17-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting...

This showed up as the ad on the top of this page...
Old 06-17-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dancinns
Interesting...

This showed up as the ad on the top of this page...
The Mets pre-ordered for 33% off.
Old 06-18-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Re: Hidalgo to Mets

Originally posted by Mad Dawg
Hidalgo has turned absolutely sour, plus he's making $12M this season. They also have a bullpen that has begun to fall apart. Considering they were trying to unload Hidalgo all off-season, they were hardly screwed.
indeed, I was just checking out how he has fallen off over the last month.

maybe he'll spark with the mets
Old 06-18-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[darkelf]Hidalgo's power numbers have struggled as well this season.

Prior to this year, he had 130 HR in 2,628 (2,827 - 199) AB, for an average of 20.2 AB/HR. This year he has a whopping 4 HR so far, over the 199 AB, for an average of 49.75 AB/HR. Not great numbers at the Juicebox.[/darkelf]
Old 06-18-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Yeah, for as much as they paid Hidalgo and as little as he's done for the 'Stros, I'm amazed they could move him at all.
In dollars it is going to be like 3.5 million the rest of the year for a team that is pitching extremely well and who for as bad as they are are in striking distance in their division. If he could somehow produce under Don Baylor it could be huge. It is a gamble for the mets, but it is not a big one and it really only has potential upside for them.
Old 06-18-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As a Mets fan, I like the trade.

Hidalgo is great defensively (at least arm wise), and is better than the Shane Spencer/Karim Garcia platoon in RF.

Hidalgo hated Jimy Williams, and hopefully a change of scenery will get him going in a contract year. He has potential to hit 40 homeruns and get on base. He could be a very good #5 hitter behind Piazza and Floyd.

The mets only add 1 million to payroll this year, and have a 2 million dollar buyout.

Weathers hasn't been very good this year, and Griffiths has sucked in the times he has been called up.
Old 06-18-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Bushdog
In dollars it is going to be like 3.5 million the rest of the year for a team that is pitching extremely well and who for as bad as they are are in striking distance in their division. If he could somehow produce under Don Baylor it could be huge. It is a gamble for the mets, but it is not a big one and it really only has potential upside for them.
He does have potential, but he hasn't shown anyone in the past few years that he will become the player he was touted to be.
Old 06-18-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Applejack
As a Mets fan, I like the trade.
I'd like it were I a Mets fan, too. Doggie is a good guy who needs to find some consistency. He also needs to shorten his swing up so he can catch up with mid-90's fastballs on a regular basis. He has been very Bagwell-like over his career, in that when he's on, he's great. But much like Bags, when he's off, he is just awful. In the field, no problems. Past leg injuries slowed him down (he used to be a very quick CF prospect), but he still gets around, and has a very good gun.

I'll miss the guy personally. He should have never been given that huge contract, but that is what mid-market teams have to do to keep homegrown players. So looking at his contract and recent production, I don't see room for criticism of the Astros for having to make the move. But it is a deal that could potentially be great for NYM, and I wish him the best.

As far as Weathers, Gerry Hunsicker has historically loved the guy. He tried to make a move for him in 2001 when he was lights out for Milwaukee, but the Cubbies beat him to it. Then he was in the running to ink him during that off-season until he chose NYM. Their Miceli gamble has paid off in spades, so it's not too much of a gamble to hope that he can at least come close to the numbers he has posted during the last few years.