Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NBA Exspansion draft

Old 06-17-04, 10:31 AM

NBA Exspansion draft

Has anybody got a list of the unprotected players that the Charlotte Bobcats (I still don't like that name) will be able to choose from?
Old 06-17-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Note: All RFAs wil become UFAs once they're drafted

Atlanta Hawks: Alan Henderson, PF
Boston Celtics: Chucky Atkins, PG; Ernest Brown, C (RFA); Jumaine Jones, SF; Brandon Hunter, PF; Michael Stewart, C
Chicago Bulls: Antonio Davis, C; Ronald Dupree, SF (RFA); Marcus Fizer, PF (RFA); Scottie Pippen, SF; Eddie Robinson, SF; Jerome Williams, PF
Cleveland Cavaliers: Ruben Boumtje Boumtje, C (RFA); Jason Kapono, F; Ira Newble, SF; Kevin Ollie, PG
Dallas Mavericks: Tariq Abdul Wahad, F; Tony Delk, PG; Danny Fortson, PF; Antione Walker, SF/PF
Denver Nuggets: Jeff Trepagnier, SG (RFA)
Detroit Pistons: Elden Campbell, C
Golden State Warriors: J.R. Bremer, SG (RFA); Evan Eschmeyer, C; Popeye Jones, PF
Houston Rockets: Adrian Griffin, SG; Eric Piatkowski, SG; Maurice Taylor, SF/PF
Indiana Pacers: Jamison Brewer, PG (RFA); Primoz Brezec, C; Austin Croshere, PG; Anthony Johnson, PG; James Jones, SF; Scot Pollard, C
LA Clippers: Matt Barnes, SF (RFA); Keyon Dooling, PG (RFA); Predrag Drobnjak, C; Eddie House, SG; Josh Moore, C (RFA)
LA Lakers: Derek Fisher, PG; Rick Fox, SF; Jamal Sampson, C
Memphis Grizzlies: Troy Bell, PG; Ryan Humphrey, Dahntay Jones, SG; Bo Outlaw, PF; Theron Smith, SF; Jake Tsakalidis, C; Lorenzen Wright, PF/C
Miami Heat: Brian Grant, PF; Eddie Jones, SG; Loren Woods, C (RFA)
Milwaukee Bucks: Brian Skinner, PF; Erick Strickland, PG/SG
Minnesota Timberwolves: Ervin Johnson, C
New Jersey Nets: Kerry Kittles, SG; Alonzo Mourning, C; Rodney Rogers, SF; Tamar Slay, SF (RFA)
New Orleans Hornets: Courtney Alexander, SG (RFA); Maurice Carter, SG (RFA)
New York Knicks: Shandon Anderson, SF; Penny Hardaway, PG; Allan Houston, SG; Moochie Norris, PG; Cezary Trybanski, C
Orlando Magic: Reece Gaines, PG; Britton Johnsen, SF (RFA); Zaza Pachulia, C; DeShawn Stevenson, SG (RFA)
Philadelphia 76ers: Greg Buckner, SG; Derrick Coleman, PF; Marc Jackson, C; Todd MacCulloch, C; Aaron McKie, SG/SF
Phoenix Suns: Howard Eisley, SG; Jahidi White, C
Portland Trailblazers: Omar Cook, PF; Dan Dickau, PG; Desmond Ferguson, SG (RFA); Eddie Gill, PG; Ruben Patterson, SF; Vladimir Stepania, C; Qyntel Woods, SG/SF
Sacramento Kings: Gerald Wallace, SG/SF
San Antonio Spurs: Matt Carroll, SG; Malik Rose, PF; Charlie Ward, PG
Seattle Supersonics: Calvin Booth, C; Richie Frahm, SG (RFA); Jerome James, C; Vitaly Potapenko, C
Toronto Raptors: Lamond Murray, SF; Jalen Rose, SF; Alvin Williams, PG
Utah Jazz: Curtis Borchardt, C; Alexsandar Pavlovic, SG
Washington Wizards: Lonny Baxter, PF (RFA); Juan Dixon, PG/SG; Christian Laettner, C; Jerry Stackhouse, SG
Old 06-17-04, 10:57 AM

Yuck not much to choose from. Thanks for the list though.
Old 06-17-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If I were the Bobcats, I would take Juan Dixon off the Wizards' hands.
Old 06-17-04, 11:20 AM
Moderator Emeritus

They need to draft Austin Croshere.
Old 06-17-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope they don't take Piatkowsi. He had a down year for Houston, but he was previously a damn reliable shooter off the bench. I wish they'd take Mo Taylor, but no one's touching the contract.
Old 06-17-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like a lot of salary dumping on that list.
Old 06-17-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cdollaz
Looks like a lot of salary dumping on that list.
Except by the Blazers. Why would you protect Dale Davis?

I can understand protecting Damon Stoudamire and his insane contract, since the he's the only NBA-quality point guard on the Blazers, but protecting Davis makes no sense. $9,000,000 for a backup center is insane.

Of course, this is all moot since they'd never take Davis, but I'd still rather see them protect Woods than Davis.
Old 06-17-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the mock expansion draft from ESPN.com Insider (assuming a few trades)

1. Jahidi White, C, Suns (Suns give Charlotte $3M and a future 1st rounder for taking the salary off their hands)

2. Elden Campbell, C, Pistons (Same deal as above)

3. Christian Laettner, PF/C, Wizards (Same deal as above)

4. Troy Bell, PG, Grizzlies

5. Aleksandar Pavlovic, SG/SF, Utah (And Charlotte giving something to Utah for making him available)

6. Gerald Wallace, SG, Kings

7. Qyntel Woods, SF, Blazers

8. Brandon Hunter, PF, Celtics (team option for 2004-2005)

9. Zaza Pachulia, C, Magic (player option for 04-05)

10. Jamal Sampson, C, Lakers (team option for 04-05)

11. James Jones, F, Pacers (team option for 04-05)

12. Jeff Trepagnier, G, Nuggets (RFA, becomes UFA)

13. Ruben Boumtje Boumtje, C, Cavs (RFA, becomes UFA)

14. Tamar Slay, SG/SF, Nets (RFA, becomes UFA)

Building the Bobcats
This expansion mock draft is divided into three parts. With the first three picks, look for the Bobcats to deal with an eye toward picking up draft choices and moving veteran players to other teams in trades. In that scenario, they gain one pick this year, two future picks and $9 million in cash to offset the $16.7 million cost of those players next season. Under the rules of the expansion draft, Charlotte could waive White, Campbell and Laettner immediately and clear them completely off their cap. Chances are, they'd do just that.
The next group of players are those the Bobcats are likely to keep. This group includes Bell, Pavlovic, Wallace, Woods, Hunter, Pachulia and Sampson. If the Bobcats kept all seven players for next season, the total cap hit comes to just $7.8 million. Wallace, Woods and Pavlovic all play similar positions, though, so don't be surprised if the Bobcats take at least one of them with an eye toward using him as trade bait before the draft or later in the summer.
That's not a bad core. Bell is capable of playing point. Pavlovic, Woods and Wallace all can swing between the two and the three. Hunter can play the four. Pachulia and Sampson both can be back-ups at the five.
The last four players -- Jones, Trepagnier, Boumtje and Slay -- would be waived immediately with no cap hit or salary ramifications.

Phase 2
Next, the Bobcats turn to the regular draft to start filling holes. With the No. 4 overall pick, they could be looking at Luol Deng, Josh Childress, Andre Iguodala and possibly high schoolers Shaun Livingston and Dwight Howard. The player Bickerstaff really wants, though, is Emeka Okafor, and he's been trying to work out a deal with Orlando to get the No. 1 pick. Would a combination of the No. 4 pick and one or two of the players they just drafted fill the bill for Orlando? Or, if the Bobcats strike a deal with the Wizards, would a combo of the No. 4 and No. 5 picks make the Magic bite? Bickerstaff believes Okafor could give the Bobcats an immediate presence in the paint that they're not going to find in the expansion draft. Charlotte also has a second-round pick it likely will use on a big.
The Bobcats won't find everything they need in the draft, but given the extra cap space they'd save in the the expansion pool as outlined above, the team would have roughly $18 million to fill in the holes via free agency.
With young players such as Kenyon Martin, Mehmet Okur, Jamal Crawford, Quentin Richardson, Stromile Swift, Rodney White and Hedo Turkoglu available, Charlotte might be able to land a couple of nice, young free agents.
If I were Bickerstaff, I'd conserve cash and offer nice deals just above the mid-level exception to restricted free agents Swift and Crawford. Both are young, immensely talented and really need a change of scenery. If you offered both a starting salary around $5.5 million to $6 million a year, chances are Memphis and Chicago wouldn't match. Wizards big man Etan Thomas is another possibility, if the price is right.
I'd use the other $6 million or $7 million on a few well-placed veterans who know how to win and play hard. Players such as Brian Cardinal, Bob Sura, Bruce Bowen, and Michael Curry would all be good fits on an expansion team.
If the Bobcats follow that blueprint -- and if other teams and players cooperate -- here's what their lineup could look like come October.
Point guard: Jamal Crawford, Troy Bell
Shooting guard: Gerald Wallace, Qyntel Woods
Small forward: Alexsandar Pavlovic, Michael Curry
Power forward: Stromile Swift, Brian Cardinal, Brandon Hunter
Center: Emeka Okafor, Zaza Pachulia, Jamal Sampson

That's a pretty decent team to put on the floor in year one -- high-octane, fun to watch, with a real eye toward developing some young stars for the future.
Old 06-17-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by WildcatLH

New Jersey Nets: Alonzo Mourning, C

does New Jersey really think someone is going to take that contract off their hands
Old 06-17-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Deadpool
does New Jersey really think someone is going to take that contract off their hands
I don't think that was their point. They left him unprotected so that they could protect someone else.
Old 06-17-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk God

reading the thread title is giving me a headache
Old 06-17-04, 02:51 PM
Suspended

I really hope the Lakers find a way to keep Fisher
Old 06-17-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

no, but why on earth would they protect him?
Old 06-17-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When is the expansion draft going to take place? Is it before the NBA draft?
Old 06-17-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Chucky Atkins
Thats pretty funny. What did Ainge do that trade for?
Old 06-17-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dabaomb
I don't think that was their point. They left him unprotected so that they could protect someone else.
OK good point, but I find it funny that he is still even on their payroll. Why is he still there?
Old 06-17-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK good point, but I find it funny that he is still even on their payroll. Why is he still there?
Because he hasn't officially retired yet?
Old 06-17-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

his contract was a 4-year $20 million guaranteed contract. No insurance companies would insure his contract given his health condition so the Nets have to eat the entire thing.

They had to sign Mourning to sign Kidd so that $20 million is like an extra $3 million a year on Kidd's contract.
Old 06-17-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Antoine Walker would look good in Charlotte
Old 06-17-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by B.A.
If I were the Bobcats, I would take Juan Dixon off the Wizards' hands.
If the Wizards didn't protect Dixon, then they have eight players better than him that they did protect? God, I hate being a fan of this retarded team
Old 06-17-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jericho
If the Wizards didn't protect Dixon, then they have eight players better than him that they did protect? God, I hate being a fan of this retarded team
I definitely don't think there are eight guys on that team that are better than him. He can defend better than most and he can score when given the opportunity.
Old 06-17-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I were the Bobcats, I'd take Eddie Jones. Yes, he's getting up there in years, but he could be a great leader for a young team. Especially if they take either Deng (or the SF from Arizona).

Honestly, you could make a playoff worthy squad out of some of these guys.
Old 06-17-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVD Josh
If I were the Bobcats, I'd take Eddie Jones. Yes, he's getting up there in years, but he could be a great leader for a young team. Especially if they take either Deng (or the SF from Arizona).

Honestly, you could make a playoff worthy squad out of some of these guys.
I think the Bobcats should take it a step further and take all of the Jones. Except for a PG, you could make a whole team out of them
Eddie Jones SG, James Jones, SF, Jumaine Jones, PF and good ol' Popeye Jones C.

Maybe they could get convince Anthony Johnson to change his name.
Old 06-17-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Reading an article earlier... while it sounds like many of those players are solid and are worth taking even with their bloated contracts (Jones, Grant, Stackhouse), the Bobcats have a salary cap of only about 29 million for next year. Dedicating 8-10 million for a player is a tough sell for a team that is looking to build a team around young players.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.