Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Yankees new pitcher(s)

Old 06-16-04, 06:02 PM

Yankees new pitcher(s)

Will the Yankees acquire Freddy Garcia from the Mariners? Who will they trade for him?

I doubt they will be able to get Randy Johnson

Really needing a lefty starter, who else can they go after?
Old 06-16-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rueter
Old 06-16-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think by the end of the week the NYY's will get RJ and Pedro for three grounds crew YMCA members and Garcia will be thrown in for the chance to actually talk to Sir George.
Old 06-16-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Yankees new pitcher(s)

Originally posted by knuckles
Really needing a lefty starter, who else can they go after?
BARRY ZITO

which would make the starting rotation: Mike Mussina, Kevin Brown, Javier Vasquez, Barry Zito and Jon Lieber

@ the thought
Old 06-16-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would the first-place A's trade Barry Zito?
Old 06-16-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

anyone but Zito.

They should get that Webb guy, or Ben Sheets or Perez from the pirates. Dontrelle?
Old 06-16-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DaveNinja
anyone but Zito.

They should get that Webb guy, or Ben Sheets or Perez from the pirates. Dontrelle?
There's no way in hell the Marlins trade Dontrelle. He doesn't even hit arbitration for two years, and he's obviously someone they want to keep long-term.
Old 06-16-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who do the Yankees have to trade? They would have to find a pitcher that is grossly overpaid that they could just swallow his contract, like Kevin Brown.

But I dont think there is anyone good on the market right now. They are going to be screwed!
Old 06-16-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jeremy517
Why would the first-place A's trade Barry Zito?
I don't know exactly why but on ESPN rumor mill I heard that Barry Zito may be traded at the deadline. Its highly unlikely but still a possibility. I'm guessing they'd be willing to trade him for money reasons that I don't know about.

And trading for Ben Sheets sounds like a possibility I also like Victor Zambrano of the D-Rays.

Hopefully they get someone to add some depth to this rotation.
Old 06-16-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Goat3001
I don't know exactly why but on ESPN rumor mill I heard that Barry Zito may be traded at the deadline. Its highly unlikely but still a possibility. I'm guessing they'd be willing to trade him for money reasons that I don't know about.
Alot of A's fan have already realized that there is virtually no way we can keep the big three together long-term. Hudson should be a lock, Mulder over 50-50, after those two Zito is the odd man out. My guess would be if Blanton comes up at all and shows he can pitch early Zito gets moved.
Old 06-16-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

chrisih8u is right... the Yankees don't have anyone to trade for a big-time pitcher. Their farm system is pretty well decimated by this point, and they don't really have the top-level prospects it would take to get some of the players that are being mentioned in this thread.
Old 06-16-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by chrisih8u
Who do the Yankees have to trade? They would have to find a pitcher that is grossly overpaid that they could just swallow his contract, like Kevin Brown.

But I dont think there is anyone good on the market right now. They are going to be screwed!
It is going to be tough, but that said --

Yankees > Red Sux (4.5 games back)

Last edited by Bushdog; 06-16-04 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-16-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bushdog
Yankees > Red Sux (4.5 games back)

Its still early and our star pitcher isnt on the DL.

The Red Sox were missing Nomar, Nixon, and Mueller. Now that 2 of them are back, we'll see what happens.
Old 06-17-04, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WildcatLH
chrisih8u is right... the Yankees don't have anyone to trade for a big-time pitcher. Their farm system is pretty well decimated by this point, and they don't really have the top-level prospects it would take to get some of the players that are being mentioned in this thread.

True but hopefully the Yankees can figure out a way to deal Jose Contreas. Of course even after a trade they'll be paying about 90% of his contract but this guy needs to go. Maybe packaging him in with a few top prospects they can make some sort of deal happen.

Of course the best case scenario (For Yankee fans) is that they trade Contreas to some team for 3 prospects that Billy Beane would want and then deal those 3 guys to Oakland.
Old 06-17-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Contreras had 3 good starts in a row. And somehow the yankess are 18-3 in their last 21.

Surely they have weakness in starting pitching, but the team has some time to work out their issues. And they have a pretty big lead over the 2nd best team in their division and league.
Old 06-17-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the Yankees rotation is in trouble only if Mussina and Brown are out for an extended period of time. They will try to trade for another starter, but I don't see them landing a 2-3 type guy, because they don't have much to offer in return. If Brown and Mussina come back, they will be fine.... although the Boss does like to pull off trades.... so who knows.
Old 06-17-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk God

1) Randy Johnson is not coming to the Yankees. He has an exclusive no trade clause, and he does not want to play any where on the East Coast. The only place RJ would accept a trade to is Anaheim. He has a house there, and might consider the trade. RJ is going to retire a D-back. The D-backs want to keep him around so they can retire his number. The guy won 4 CY Youngs and a World Series here. Since the D-backs are new in the league, they want to have some sort of history. If they traded RJ they would be flushing all of that down the toilet.

2) Webb is not on the trading block. He's projected to take over the #1 slot once RJ is gone.
Old 06-17-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
2) Webb is not on the trading block. He's projected to take over the #1 slot once RJ is gone.
If Webb keeps pitching like he has this season then I feel sorry for the D-Backs.
Old 06-17-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by dancinns
If Webb keeps pitching like he has this season then I feel sorry for the D-Backs.
Jeez, give the guy a break. He's in a bit of a slump. He's got #1 starter stuff, so I'm not concerned.
Old 06-17-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
1) Randy Johnson is not coming to the Yankees. He has an exclusive no trade clause, and he does not want to play any where on the East Coast. The only place RJ would accept a trade to is Anaheim. He has a house there, and might consider the trade. RJ is going to retire a D-back. The D-backs want to keep him around so they can retire his number. The guy won 4 CY Youngs and a World Series here. Since the D-backs are new in the league, they want to have some sort of history. If they traded RJ they would be flushing all of that down the toilet.

RJ definitely likes the warm climate. I think he had a house in Arizona before they even got the team.

I think Freddy Garcia is the most likely option for the Yankees. He's the most talented pitcher on the trading block and he's having a strong season. The only reason the Yankees might not want him is because he's a headcase, but he has plenty of experience being booed here because of last season.

I just hope the Yankees are interested just to get some kind of bidding war going so the Mariners get something decent in return.
Old 06-17-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But again, who do the Yankees have to trade? I doubt they have more to offer than another team out there. Most playoff-contending teams would like another quality starter at the trading deadline, so there are more teams in the bidding. Its not like a positional player, where a couple teams may be set at the position.
Old 06-17-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any deal the Yanks make for a top quality starter or for a guy like Beltran would probably include Dionner Navarro. He's their top prospect, a catcher, and about the only guy in their system that would bring a good player in return right now.
Old 06-17-04, 05:31 PM
Moderator Emeritus

How about Matt Morris or Woody Williams? If you're looking for a lefty, supposedly Rick Ankiel is ahead of schedule, and may pitch this season.
Old 06-17-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The yankees will just overhype one of their prospects and con someone into taking him.