Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Lesnar shows Vikings some raw ability..

Old 06-13-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lesnar shows Vikings some raw ability..

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...8914787.htm?1c

Lesnar shows Vikings some raw ability, but will they give him a shot?
BOB SANSEVERE
Associated Press

ST. PAUL - Brock Lesnar is an imposing young man. He has a body you often see chiseled from marble, not flesh and bone. His arms are thicker than most people's thighs, his back so wide you could hang a Picasso from it. He is 6 feet 3, 286 pounds of thick, rippled muscle. Just standing there in a shirt and pants, he looks like a football player after all the pads have been put on.

The thing is, Lesnar doesn't just want to look like a football player. He wants to become one.

Lesnar had a tryout Friday with the Vikings to see if it's possible.

"He is a project with a capital P," said Scott Studwell, the Vikings' director of college scouting. "He's got physical tools, but he has a long way to go."

That's not news to Lesnar.

"I know I'm raw. I know I need work," he said. "I'm a project. I'm looking for someone to mold me."

He would like it to be the Vikings. He says he is ready shuck his image as a professional wrestler and play in the National Football League.

"This isn't a publicity stunt. This is the real deal," Lesnar said. "It's something I want to do. I don't want to wake up when I'm 50 years old and say I should have tried."

So he's trying now by trying out. The Vikings were the first of about a half-dozen teams interested in working him out.

Lesnar's tryout with the Vikings drew more than two dozen people, including coaches, scouts, players and even secretaries who were curious about a guy who wants to go from making what he described as "a couple million dollars a year" as champion of World Wrestling Entertainment to making the NFL minimum of $260,000.

"I think a road is involved here, but it's not as long as some people think," said Ed Hitchcock, Lesnar's St. Paul-based agent.

Actually, the road might be longer than Hitchcock and Lesnar would like to think. Lesnar is 26 years old and hasn't played football since high school. He toyed with the idea of playing for the Gophers as a senior, but that never happened. Instead, he concentrated on wrestling and won the NCAA heavyweight title.

"I wish I would have gone out for football," he said.

Lesnar ran 40 yards during Friday's tryout and his 4.75-second time was faster than most of the Vikings' defensive linemen can do. The defensive line, by the way, is where Lesnar would like to play.

"I like to attack the ball," he said.

The ability to get into that attack mode is what has the Vikings wondering. Lesnar struggled some with agility drills during his tryout, and even had trouble getting into a proper defensive stance.

"Is his first step up to par? No. Is his footwork up to par? No. Is his hand speed up to par? No. He's just raw, just as raw as they come from a football-playing perspective," Studwell said. "He's not raw from an athletic standpoint."

That's why Lesnar is tantalizing why the Vikings or some other NFL team might be willing to give him a chance.

"He is talented. He is a good athlete. He has a history of achievement. And you know he has a work ethic," Studwell said. "Is it a shot in the dark? Yeah. How long would it take him to come up to speed? How long would it take us to find out if he can play?"

Vikings coach Mike Tice, who has the final say, told Lesnar he doesn't have a roster spot for him. He also told him that could change. Once the Vikings conclude their developmental camp this week, Tice might cut a few players.

"If I have a roster spot, then we'll figure out where we need help and where we need to try a guy, including a Brock Lesnar," Tice said. "I told him he needs to get his groin healthy."

Lesnar suffered a pulled groin and bruised pelvis, broken jaw and busted left hand in a motorcycle accident in April. He's still healing.

When he spoke to Lesnar, Tice encouraged him to work out for other NFL teams.

"Each time he could get better," Tice said. "I also told him to hire a former NFL player who played on the defensive line. He doesn't need to go to a gym."

Lesnar has been working out the past seven weeks at an athletic training facility in Tempe, Ariz.

"What he needs is football," Tice said. "If two weeks from now he's healthier and has gone through workouts, we'll talk about the possibility of taking him to camp."

Here's a prediction: Tice will find a spot for Lesnar.

When told of that prediction, Tice laughed. He likes developing players, something he often did when he was the Vikings' offensive line coach.

"I like the kid," Tice said. "Anybody, including us, has to have patience, because he's raw. If you have patience, which we've shown here, I see a little bit of glimmer there. If you see opportunity and have a roster spot, why not roll the dice?"
Old 06-13-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I read eariler this month there was about 5 teams interested in seeing Brock in action. I'm not going to be shocked if he ends up on someones roster, though I doubt he'll be content with a practice roster spot if it comes down to it.
Old 06-13-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bet you some team finds room for him on the roster, too. If he can develop technique he could be a monster. Though no telling what his instincts are.
Old 06-13-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would like to see the VIkings give him a chance, even on the regular roster throw him out there on Special teams, he has like a 4.6 40.
Old 06-13-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That would be great if we could pick him up...he has potential written all over him.
Old 06-13-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll wait for the day to see him F5 someone on the field out of instinct.
Old 06-13-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He's 6' 3", 286. Runs a 4.75 40 (at worst, they said he can run much faster, but due to his motorcycle accident, he was slowed), and what sports is a better translation to football than wrestling (and i mean real wrestling, not WWE). They just need to sign him. 1 year deal, league minimum, see what happens.
Old 06-14-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will see him soon in WWE. I just dont see him a football player.
Old 06-14-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Since his footwork was *that* bad in a 20x20 ring, how is he going to fare on an open field, especially on Turf? I expect to see embarrassing ankle-breaking moves by RBs on SportsCenter if he makes it.
Old 07-27-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Vikings have finally signed Lesnar to a contract.

link
Old 07-27-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My poor Vikings making bad decisions again.

Prove me wrong Brock!!!!!
Old 07-27-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wabio

It doesnt seem so bad. They can easily cut him if he sucks during training camp. But I am surprised he made a team.
Old 07-27-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by wabio

I feel your pain, but their defense does blow and has blown for a few years now.
Old 07-28-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by nchhabra
I feel your pain, but their defense does blow and has blown for a few years now.
Looking up for 2004, though. Not because of Lesner. That's a media stunt, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-28-04, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by nchhabra
I feel your pain,
no no no... it's "Here comes the pain".

Old 08-30-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He got cut today!

http://www.wrestlezone.com/articles/95903818.php
Old 08-30-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No surprise to me. With only five practice team spots, there was almost no chance he was going to make it.
Old 08-30-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

actually they said he still may get signed to the practice squad.
Old 08-31-04, 12:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Aren't there 8 spots now?
Old 08-31-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A player has to be cut and clear waivers before he can be signed to the practice squad.
Old 08-31-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

lol........i guess he just got the F5