Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Rob Neyer moving to ESPN Insider?

Old 06-10-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rob Neyer moving to ESPN Insider?

According to ESPN.com, it appears that Rob Neyer's column will only be available on ESPN Insider starting next week. Although it doesn't explicitly say so (I hate vague language), it appears that his column will no longer be available on the free site.

That sucks! He's the most interesting baseball columnist out there, IMO. But I sure as hell won't pay ESPN to read him. Oh well...
Old 06-10-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

I hardly go to espn.com anymore. So much stuff is now on insider, plus even on a T1, their pages take a long time to load due to all the clutter.

The only reason I seem to go there anymore is to see if the Sports Guy has posted any new columns.
Old 06-10-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Where do you go for online sports news/analysis?
Old 06-10-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by LurkerDan
For baseball, we go to Darkelf.
Old 06-10-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Nowhere really right now. Just the local sports pages and USA Today. It is the dead season for sports right now.
Old 06-10-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well there goes my only reason for ever checking out ESPN.com. I guess it's good that ESPN is realizing exactly how valuable Neyer is (I'm sure a lot of people will sign up for the Insider) but it really sucks for the majority of us.
Old 06-10-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I pay for it. It's worthless, but it's 5 bucks a month + a free sub to ESPN the Magazine. Anyway, if he does go over there, I'll be glad to share his articles as needed.
Old 06-10-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whats so good about this guy? Ive never read a column of his.
Old 06-10-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by chrisih8u
Whats so good about this guy? Ive never read a column of his.

His use of statistical analysis to back up his arguments is what makes him a better baseball writer than anyone else I have ever read.
Old 06-10-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
His use of statistical analysis to back up his arguments is what makes him a better baseball writer than anyone else I have ever read.
Ill guess ill go search his archive then.
Old 06-10-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good, Mad Dawg can post his columns on the board for us then.
Old 06-10-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
Better than Bill James?

I still have two of James' old abstracts (1984 and 1985), and I still read them every few years or so. Great stuff, absolutely sealed my love of baseball.

Neyer is very good, second only to James. But James was better at his peak (1980's).
Old 06-10-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by bardevious
Better than Bill James?

I still have two of James' old abstracts (1984 and 1985), and I still read them every few years or so. Great stuff, absolutely sealed my love of baseball.

Neyer is very good, second only to James. But James was better at his peak (1980's).

Bill James wrote books. Neyer is a columnist, so I should have said 'columnist' instead of 'writer.' Of course Neyer pretty much belongs to that Bill James school of baseball analysis.
Old 06-10-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bardevious
Better than Bill James?

I'm sure Neyer would agree with your assessment; he definitely "follows" Bill James. I have never read Bill James; I don't think a book about the game could interest me for long enough. I need column-sized pieces.

I like his use of stats analysis, but I also like his love for the game and its traditions while not being afraid to challenge those traditions.

And I love the fact that he always gets accused as a Yankee hater, having an east coast bias, etc etc etc, when anyone with half a brain who reads his column knows that stuff isn't true.
Old 06-10-04, 01:09 PM

It's $5 a month? Wow, really? That's $60/yr! I like Neyer and he does good work, but I certainly wouldn't pay $60/yr for one columnist, plus the occasional Insider link that seems like it could be of moderate interest.

If you want 4-5 columns per day, at a level beyond what Neyer usually does, I have a much better deal for you guys.

For only $3.33 per month ($40/yr), subscribe to http://www.baseballprospectus.com. As a preview, subscribe to the free daily newsletter, which includes small snipets from all columns.

You can also read a excellent series of free articles which serve as an introduction to the world of BP and the type of detailed statistical analysis they do. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/about

They also host Pizza Feeds and Bookstore appearances around the country if you want to yap with the guys and find out more about the type of stuff covered in BP. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/events/. The Boston Pizza Feed I told you guys about last week is full, so I hope you Boston folks already signed up. But at the present, there are events scheduled in NY, NJ, Louisville, and Toronto.

Screw ESPN, read BP instead!

(no, I don't get a cut if you sign up...)
Old 06-10-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DarkElf
It's $5 a month? Wow, really? That's $60/yr! I like Neyer and he does good work, but I certainly wouldn't pay $60/yr for one columnist, plus the occasional Insider link that seems like it could be of moderate interest.
Wait, wait, wait. You don't just get Rob Neyer. You get various columns from newspapers everywhere that would otherwise be free, as well as rumors gleaned from third-party sources that are incorrect 95% of the time. On top of that, you get news that isn't important enough to make ESPN's free area. Who's foolish now??

Old 06-10-04, 01:18 PM

I'm sure Neyer would agree with your assessment; he definitely "follows" Bill James. I have never read Bill James; I don't think a book about the game could interest me for long enough. I need column-sized pieces.
I think I have a few of his "Abstracts" stored away somewhere at my parents' house.

The old Bill James books were written as a series of articles. You could read each chapter in half an hour or so, unless you wanted to play with the numbers, in which case, it would take a lifetime to read.

James is our founding father. In a world of box scores, he awakened us to an entire new world of understanding baseball. But as is usually the case, his disciples have improved on most of his stuff, often using his ideas as the basis for more accurate and detailed analysis.
Old 06-10-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Neyer is awful. He sometimes writes good stuff, but he's mostly a huge Angels basher, so maybe that is why I dislike him so much.
Old 06-11-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I think Neyer is awful. He sometimes writes good stuff, but he's mostly a huge Angels basher, so maybe that is why I dislike him so much.
The truth hurts, doesn't it?
Old 06-11-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And I love the fact that he always gets accused as a Yankee hater, having an east coast bias, etc etc etc, when anyone with half a brain who reads his column knows that stuff isn't true.
Old 06-11-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He sometimes writes good stuff, but he's mostly a huge Angels basher
No he isn't.

Like Dan alluded to, many people think Neyer is baised against their team (or biased towards the Yankees, Red Sox, etc). In reality, the only team he might be biased towards (the Royals), he still writes about objectively. He isn't biased against any team.
Old 06-11-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jeremy517
No he isn't.

Like Dan alluded to, many people think Neyer is baised against their team (or biased towards the Yankees, Red Sox, etc). In reality, the only team he might be biased towards (the Royals), he still writes about objectively. He isn't biased against any team.
He's actually pretty harsh to the Royals, and they are his favorite team...
Old 06-11-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's actually pretty harsh to the Royals, and they are his favorite team...
I'd still consider that being objective, because for many years, they had one of the worst GMs ever.
Old 06-11-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Neyer worked with James for several years, and in fact they just published a book together.