Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Baseball Simulators

Old 06-08-04, 02:50 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Baseball Simulators

Anyone like text-based Baseball
simulators? As a stat geek, I love 'em.
I love playing with teams and players
with realistic results.

As a kid, I played Micro League Baseball and Earl Weaver Baseball (anyone remember those)?

For anyone interested, there's a free simulator out there called Strategic Baseball Simulator. I found it a few years ago from a blurb in Game Pro, I believe. This games a lot better than other simulators you have to pay a lot of money for.

Check it out and let me know what you think! Perhaps a DVD Talk SBS Baseball league should become in the works?

http://www.sbs-baseball.com/

PS-I put this in Sports forum, because I think we'll find more people interested in it than in the Video Games forum for some reason.
Old 06-08-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm playing a text-based simulator called Out of the Park baseball. As far as recent baseball sims are concerned, this is one of the best. The results (statistically speaking) are pretty realistic.

Their website is http://www.ootpdevelopments.com
Old 06-08-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Baseball Mogul is pretty damn_addicting as well
Old 06-08-04, 03:06 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
I've played OOTP (a few versions ago), it does have more "bells and whistles" which I liked, but I ended up going back to SBS. OOTP had some bugs that I could not get past and I'm not big on the "career" aspects and the use of minor leagues with fictitious players. When I simmed a season, it called up fictitious players from the 'minor leagues' which to me leaves a very bad aftertaste in my mouth.

OOTP is a more complex game, but I like the simplicity of SBS.
Old 06-08-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dancinns
Baseball Mogul is pretty damn_addicting as well

The original Baseball Mogul was a revelation to me. It was the type of game I'd always hoped someone would make.

However, Baseball Mogul as a sim-type game really began to lose its appeal to me when games like "Front Office Football" (a truly kick-ass football sim, and still probably the best sports sim game I've played) were released.
Old 06-08-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jarsim
I've played OOTP (a few versions ago), it does have more "bells and whistles" which I liked, but I ended up going back to SBS. OOTP had some bugs that I could not get past and I'm not big on the "career" aspects and the use of minor leagues with fictitious players. When I simmed a season, it called up fictitious players from the 'minor leagues' which to me leaves a very bad aftertaste in my mouth.

OOTP is a more complex game, but I like the simplicity of SBS.
It still has a few bugs, but I really dig the career aspect and the fact that you can import players/teams from past seasons and engage in your own "revisionist history".

The really hardcore text sim game that I've never been able to get into is Diamond Mind baseball. Besides the fact that you have to buy "season" disks and "player" disks, it's just a bit too dense for my taste (and it lacks career play).
Old 06-08-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Diamond Mind Baseball. ESPN uses their technology for their Fantasy Baseball league and simulations.
Old 06-08-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love OOTP.

Especially now that they were bought out by Sports Interaction (who make Championship Manager... which, along with Solecismic's Front Office Football, is up there as the best sports simulation game in existence)... that's going to make for a superior game when the next version comes out.
Old 06-10-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.strat-o-matic.com/
Old 06-12-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by matome
Diamond Mind Baseball. ESPN uses their technology for their Fantasy Baseball league and simulations.
I'm currently in two Diamond Mind leagues, one of which has numerous openings (it's a startup league that just finished it inaugural draft). If any of you are interested in giving Sim baseball a try e-mail me and I'll give you the league info and website.