Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

06/07/04 - WWE RAW on SPIKE TV!

Old 06-07-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

06/07/04 - WWE RAW on SPIKE TV!

Last stop before Bad Blood
June 7, 2004

The Pepsi Arena in Albany, N.Y., represents the last stop for RAW prior to Bad Blood, which is Sunday, June 13 live on pay-per-view. With just six days to go until the pay-per-view, tempers will be flaring, and anything can happen this Monday night on RAW!

Four matches have already been announced for Bad Blood:
World Heavyweight Championship: Chris Benoit vs. Kane
Hell in a Cell: Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels
Intercontinental Championship: Randy Orton vs. Shelton Benjamin
Women's Championship: Victoria vs. Gail Kim

There will undoubtedly be more Bad Blood matches announced on RAW.

And what will the participants in the matches already announced have in store for one another on Monday Night RAW? Will Shawn Michaels be barred from the building again?

How will Eugene follow up on his victory (by disqualification) over Kane?

All of this and more, as the road to Bad Blood continues on Monday Night RAW at 9/8 PM CT on Spike TV.
Old 06-07-04, 12:43 PM

Hey you had about an hour on me this time.

Anyone as excited about the PPV as I am?

Oh yeah, I am not excited about the PPV.

Eugene Rules!

Questions for Raw.....

Will J.R. contunue to talk about Eugene like its his own kid?
Had Lita worked on her acting from last week?
Will I stay awake for the main event?
What in GODS name are they doing with Kane?
Kane sub questions....
Why involve such a not exciting character in so many
different storylines?
Who DOESN'T know what Kane made Lita do?
How can you have Kane lose to Eugene last week, and
expact any of us to think he has a snowballs chance in hell
at beating Benoit?
Will we continue to feel the thunderous effects of Maven's big return?
Will we finally see Johnny Nitro Wrestle?
Gail Kim anyone?
Have they taught Victoria to dance since last week?
Will we see all those "fake" contestants that were with Vince, this week?
Will Bichoff start giving out the results of NWA/TNA IMPACT?
Can HHH and HBK make us believe in their feud again?
During a Eugene match, how many time will J.R. say, "When was the last time you saw a (INSERT 80's WRESTLING MOVE HERE)?"
Old 06-07-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless tonight's show and/or the PPV really deliver, I'm thinking about taking a break from watching. It just hasn't been worth my time to leave my place to watch and I'm not paying for cable any time soon. Of course, seeing as the Eugene character even exists, and the HUGE focus on one of the most worthless "entertainers" on the show (Kane), chances are looking so very slim.
Old 06-07-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they should just do away with the brand split. Take your best guys and get rid of everyone that sucks. If you cant make them good, its time to cut them. It doesnt do any good to keep them around just because you want to have 2 rosters. Id rather have a crowded main event scene than a surplus of midcarders.
Old 06-07-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nowadays I tune in just to see Victoria gyrate

Old 06-07-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by chrisih8u
I think they should just do away with the brand split. Take your best guys and get rid of everyone that sucks. If you cant make them good, its time to cut them. It doesnt do any good to keep them around just because you want to have 2 rosters. Id rather have a crowded main event scene than a surplus of midcarders.
I'm still all for the brand split. It gives new guys a chance to get actual TV time. They just need to treat the two shows like separate promotions instead of referring to each other all the time.

I'll be glad once Bad Blood is over so that Kane can (hopefully) get the hell off of my TV. I think Lita and Matt should let bygones be bygones with Kane so we're not subjected to that storyline each week.

Here's my questions for Raw:
Will the peeps be rewarded with the return of Christian?
Can someone keep the microphone away from Trish?
Will William Regal call someone 'Sunshine'?
Is Shelton Benjamin going to score another win over another member of Evolution?
Will Benjamin make it out of Raw without a beat down from Orton?
Will Orton remind us that he's the longest reigning IC champ in the past 7 years?
Will Kane and Chris Benoit actually start a program tonight?
Can Gail Kim make it out of Raw without being molested by Victoria?
Will we find out that there's an electrical problem on the Raw stage that causes Victoria to convulse?
Old 06-07-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

+=
Old 06-07-04, 03:43 PM

The brand split is a great idea, and I don't think I will EVER go back on that.

These guys have some talent, its the guys WRITING the stories that have to go.

The whole, "ok ACTION"
"Mr. Bichoff, I think that Eugene Needs to face someone else tonight"
"Yes Johnny, maybe we can have him face Kane"
"But Kane lost to him last week"
camera pans out to show Kane behing Johnny Nitro
Big suprise to NOBODY
"Gulp, Kane you have your rematch!!!"
"OK CUT"

These staged cutscenes are getting out of hand.

They need to go back to the promos that used to get cut before each match, with every now and then, someone getting JUMPED durring them.

This is getting to be TOO much of a soap opera.

In the WWE heyday, you saw Jack Tunny like once every few months, this GM crap is going nowhere. It worked once, with Stone Cold and McMahon, for one reason, IT WAS DIFFERENT. Since then, you have had Steph, Bichoff, Paul E. (the only one to kinda pull it off since), Austin, Angle, Flair, and the WCW ones, Russo, The Cat, Nash, and so on, and NONE have them worked. You have to stop trying every now and then.

Also, I hate to say it, you want to see PPV buy rates go up, bring back the Jobber. Why buy a PPV for matches you see every week? We need those "warm up matches". You need Kane squashing the Hurricane every now and then, you need Benoit taking on Christian and winning, like the old WWF days. Then when you get to the PPV, you have Kane, who has proved himself dominant, and Benoit who proved himself dominent, taking eachother on and we havn't seen it like 20 times.

The only time you saw 2 "superstars" in the ring together before their BIG match, was like on Saturday Nights Main Event, and it was usualy a tag match, kinda like they do now, but they do it every week.

Remember when Bret Hart was champ, he defended the title every week, but it was against Bob Holly, and Avatar. Then after one of those matches, HBK would jump him. But they never got together until the PPV. We WATCHED those matches, and the ratings were better then.

I grabbed a copy of RAW I had taped from the 90's and the matches were as follows...

Adom Bomb vs a jobber
then
Well and Done vs Legion of Doom
then
Former Tag Champs Bob "Sparkey Plug" Holly and 1-2-3 Kid and Bret Hart vs Owen Hart and Yokozuna Current Tag Champs, and Hakushi

I think there was one match in there, I forgot who it was, think it was Alundra Blaze and Bull Nakato. Also in there was a Vinnie Mac interview with Diesel, and Sid started a feud with him

We watched this crap, and it was fine.

Last edited by FatHead316; 06-07-04 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-07-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Incorrect.

The "best guys" in the WWE typically suck. The midcarders are the only reason I watch. Do we really need Kane or the Undertaker 2 nights a week? Do I need to remind you of the massive pushes received by the likes of Nathan Jones, Scott Steiner and Goldberg? Oh, yes.. where are they all now?
Old 06-07-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Incorrect.

The "best guys" in the WWE typically suck. The midcarders are the only reason I watch. Do we really need Kane or the Undertaker 2 nights a week? Do I need to remind you of the massive pushes received by the likes of Nathan Jones, Scott Steiner and Goldberg? Oh, yes.. where are they all now?
I wasnt talking about Kane or the Undertaker. There is no rule that says they need to be in the main event. The fact is that there isnt enough talent to support 2 seperate shows. There are a ton of shitty wrestlers that nobody likes that are on Raw and Smackdown. They can easily get rid of them and have 1 quality roster.
Old 06-07-04, 04:05 PM

I wasnt talking about Kane or the Undertaker. There is no rule that says they need to be in the main event. The fact is that there isnt enough talent to support 2 seperate shows. There are a ton of shitty wrestlers that nobody likes that are on Raw and Smackdown. They can easily get rid of them and have 1 quality roster.
Nah, I have to disagree with that. Its the writing. You give some of these guys a good story to tell, and I bet most of them can tell it. Guys on Raw not getting used properly, that HAVE been used properly in the past...

Edge
Kane
Lance Storm (ECW)
Matt Hardy
Maven (in the begining with Taker)
Rhyno
Scott Steiner (although, keep the mic away from this man)
Steven Richards (ECW this guy was AWESOME)
Test
and Val Venis

For Smackdown...

Big Show
Billy Gunn
Kidman
Booker T
Dudley's
Bradshaw
Mysterio
Rikishi (Although that Heel turn KILLED him)
and Taker, No one is taking to the half a$$ deadman gimmick

But these guys have ALL gotten the job done with the proper story. And thats 1/4 of the roster, now given another 1/4 of the roster IS being properly used, thats a big chunk of the show.

I am swinging with Cena, I don't think they are using him to his fullest either.
Old 06-07-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You said the best guys; who do YOU think the WWE thinks are their best guys? Who are these so-called "shitty" wrestlers that nobody likes?

The roster split is probably the best thing they've done; that is unless you really wanted to see "THE ROCK AND STONE COLD COMEDY HOUR" twice a week, which is what it had been degraded too. The roster split gives both main eventers and midcarders more time, and longer, higher quality matches; which in the end product gives us more variety.
Old 06-07-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by FatHead316
Nah, I have to disagree with that. Its the writing. You give some of these guys a good story to tell, and I bet most of them can tell it. Guys on Raw not getting used properly, that HAVE been used properly in the past...

For Smackdown...

Big Show
Billy Gunn
Kidman
Booker T
Dudley's
Bradshaw
Mysterio
Rikishi (Although that Heel turn KILLED him)
and Taker, No one is taking to the half a$$ deadman gimmick

But these guys have ALL gotten the job done with the proper story. And thats 1/4 of the roster, now given another 1/4 of the roster IS being properly used, thats a big chunk of the show.

I am swinging with Cena, I don't think they are using him to his fullest either.

The writing is a copout excuse. Plenty of the wrestlers have given plenty of pushes and fans still dont like them. By all of your logic, the only reason Im not a good wrestler is because the WWE writers arent good enough to make me good. Some of these people just suck and need to be cut.

Lets go through the list for Raw. I dont watch Smackdown.

Edge Should be in the main event. Seems to be heading in the right direction.

Kane Sucks. Hes run his course and there is nothing left for him.

Lance Storm (ECW) Boring as hell. He's been given plenty of chances and he sucks.

Matt Hardy He's good.

Maven (in the begining with Taker) Whoopy. He got his ass kicked by the Undertaker. He hasnt shown anything.

Rhyno He hasnt done anything except get injured. He is exciting when he's not injured though.

Scott Steiner (although, keep the mic away from this man) He was good, but his time is over. There is nothing left for him.

Steven Richards (ECW this guy was AWESOME) This guy sucks. He has been given ring time for far too long and nobody likes him. He needs to go.

Test He had his chance and he sucks.

Val Venis Same thing here. Nobody likes him. Hes useless.

I really dont know why everyone keeps harping on the writing. Some of the wrestlers just suck and will continue to suck no matter what is written for them.
Old 06-07-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You said the best guys; who do YOU think the WWE thinks are their best guys? Who are these so-called "shitty" wrestlers that nobody likes?

The roster split is probably the best thing they've done; that is unless you really wanted to see "THE ROCK AND STONE COLD COMEDY HOUR" twice a week, which is what it had been degraded too. The roster split gives both main eventers and midcarders more time, and longer, higher quality matches; which in the end product gives us more variety.

I dont know why you bring in rediculous scenarious like that. The WWE could easily put on 2- 2 hour shows with about 20 wrestlers and it would be better than seing the same shitty jobbers wrestle other shitty jobbers. It doesnt matter how many chances Rosey (or Jamal?) gets, he will always suck.
Old 06-07-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont know why you bring in rediculous scenarious like that. The WWE could easily put on 2- 2 hour shows with about 20 wrestlers and it would be better than seing the same shitty jobbers wrestle other shitty jobbers. It doesnt matter how many chances Rosey (or Jamal?) gets, he will always suck.
You have stated that Edge should be in the main event, thus anything you say will be forfeit to me; therefore this argument is over as I consider you legally insane. Good day, sir.
Old 06-07-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You have stated that Edge should be in the main event, thus anything you say will be forfeit to me; therefore this argument is over as I consider you legally insane. Good day, sir.
I like Edge. He's more fun to watch than most of the other Raw roster and he's been in some really good matches.
Old 06-07-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Edge. He's more fun to watch than most of the other Raw roster and he's been in some really good matches.
He's been is really good matches lately? The guy doesn't suck as much as I say he does, but he's been VERY lackluster since he has returned from his neck injury. I can't even remember any significant matches he's been in other than against Randy Orton for the IC belt, and I only remember that because I was praying to every god in existence that Orton retained. Oh, that's right.. he was tag champs with Benoit.. oh okay.

Lance Storm, Val Venis and Steven Richards suck? Are you high?

They may be my 3 top choices for excellent wrestlers buried from horrible misuse.

Do you really think that with the rosters combined we'd get to see Chris Jericho, Christian, Chris Benoit, Randy Orton, Rene Dupree, Shelton Benjamin, Rico, Charlie Haas, Chavo G, Eddie G, Jamie Noble, John Cena, etc in their expanded roles, or at all?
Old 06-07-04, 05:05 PM

The writing is a copout excuse. Plenty of the wrestlers have given plenty of pushes and fans still dont like them. By all of your logic, the only reason Im not a good wrestler is because the WWE writers arent good enough to make me good. Some of these people just suck and need to be cut.

Lets go through the list for Raw. I dont watch Smackdown.

Edge Should be in the main event. Seems to be heading in the right direction.

Kane Sucks. Hes run his course and there is nothing left for him.

Lance Storm (ECW) Boring as hell. He's been given plenty of chances and he sucks.

Matt Hardy He's good.

Maven (in the begining with Taker) Whoopy. He got his ass kicked by the Undertaker. He hasnt shown anything.

Rhyno He hasnt done anything except get injured. He is exciting when he's not injured though.

Scott Steiner (although, keep the mic away from this man) He was good, but his time is over. There is nothing left for him.

Steven Richards (ECW this guy was AWESOME) This guy sucks. He has been given ring time for far too long and nobody likes him. He needs to go.

Test He had his chance and he sucks.

Val Venis Same thing here. Nobody likes him. Hes useless.

I really dont know why everyone keeps harping on the writing. Some of the wrestlers just suck and will continue to suck no matter what is written for them.
Ahh, but you are missing my point, these guys HAVE been used right in the past. Pick up a few ECW dvd's, Big Stevie Cool and Lance ROCKED back then. They are not being used well NOW.
Old 06-07-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by FatHead316
Ahh, but you are missing my point, these guys HAVE been used right in the past. Pick up a few ECW dvd's, Big Stevie Cool and Lance ROCKED back then. They are not being used well NOW.
Correct. The WWE writers only see guys like this as Sunday Night Heat filler or cannon fodder to bigger, slower, more boring wrestlers. These guys don't wake up and say "Hey, tonight would be a good night to have a 37 second match with Kane where I deliver no offense!" they are told to do so. Who tells them to do so? Hmm.. Hell as much as I hate Kane (and trust me, I do ever hate him), even I kind of feel bad for the guy because he's been such a victim of terrible writing and feuds. He might get to showcase that is really isn't a shit wrestler with one move if he'd be given the chance to go against another wrestler his size.
Old 06-07-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you take away most of the suck-ass veterans and force people to watch new talent/talented midcarders, they'll still watch the product.

Ringmaster? Yeah right...
Rocky Maiavia? He got booed as a face...
Hunter Hearst Helmsley? The only good thing was seeing Playmate Tylyn John be his valet.
Sean Michaels? The Rockers, 'nuff said...

It takes time.. but the WWE doesn't have time.
Old 06-07-04, 08:35 PM
Banned

Johnny Nitro Wrestling=Huge Ratings
Old 06-07-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love Stevie. He's the reason for my username here (and pretty much everywhere else). He could be a great comic relief on Raw. He's part of the reason why I loved the old Victoria.

Originally posted by devilshaloHunter Hearst Helmsley? The only good thing was seeing Playmate Tylyn John be his valet.
Again, I loved the blue blood gimmick HHH had. That bow he did was gold to me.
Old 06-07-04, 09:15 PM

UPDATE TO MY QUESTIONS

15 mins in, and a Few of my questions are answered.
1 Hour in, we get anther answer.
1 Hour 15 mins into it we get some BIG answers about Kane.
1 Hour 30 mins in we get the answers to the Eugene questions.

Will J.R. contunue to talk about Eugene like its his own kid? YES
Had Lita worked on her acting from last week? NO
Will I stay awake for the main event?
What in GODS name are they doing with Kane? THEY HAVE NO IDEA, He is teaming with the french now
Kane sub questions....
Why involve such a not exciting character in so many different storylines? Because the writers suck
Who DOESN'T know what Kane made Lita do? Not being addressed so far
How can you have Kane lose to Eugene last week, and expact any of us to think he has a snowballs chance in hell at beating Benoit?
Will we continue to feel the thunderous effects of Maven's big return?
Will we finally see Johnny Nitro Wrestle? YES
Gail Kim anyone? YES
Have they taught Victoria to dance since last week?
Will we see all those "fake" contestants that were with Vince, this week?
Will Bichoff start giving out the results of NWA/TNA IMPACT?
Can HHH and HBK make us believe in their feud again? NO
During a Eugene match, how many time will J.R. say, "When was the last time you saw a (INSERT 80's WRESTLING MOVE HERE)?" An Amaizing 0

Last edited by FatHead316; 06-07-04 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-07-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lance Storm, Val Venis and Steven Richards suck? Are you high?

They may be my 3 top choices for excellent wrestlers buried from horrible misuse.

I dont think I have ever in my life seen Steven Richards have a decent match or even been entertained by him. He has been given 50 million new pushes and still nobody cares about him. Im clearly not the only person who hates him. Same thing with Lance Storm.

Do you really think that with the rosters combined we'd get to see Chris Jericho, Christian, Chris Benoit, Randy Orton, Rene Dupree, Shelton Benjamin, Rico, Charlie Haas, Chavo G, Eddie G, Jamie Noble, John Cena, etc in their expanded roles, or at all?
Yes, that would be my preference. That was my point. A roster like that would be much more enjoyable than the rosters that are clogged by shitty veteran jobbers.
Old 06-07-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Correct. The WWE writers only see guys like this as Sunday Night Heat filler or cannon fodder to bigger, slower, more boring wrestlers. These guys don't wake up and say "Hey, tonight would be a good night to have a 37 second match with Kane where I deliver no offense!" they are told to do so. Who tells them to do so? Hmm.. Hell as much as I hate Kane (and trust me, I do ever hate him), even I kind of feel bad for the guy because he's been such a victim of terrible writing and feuds. He might get to showcase that is really isn't a shit wrestler with one move if he'd be given the chance to go against another wrestler his size.
Kane has been given 50 million chances to prove that he isnt a shit wrestler with 1 move. He wrestles every week. The writers arent writing his moves, only his storylines. He just gets in there and punches and clotheslines.

My point is that they should get rid of the shitty wrestlers like Kane.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.