Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you think about guys who don't like/watch sports?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-06-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pansies.

Every last one of them!

Now, this doesn't mean that I'm against a guy who doesn't like a particular sport, but to be against all sports? C'mon now.
Old 06-06-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk God

should they still be classified as 'guys'??
Old 06-06-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

I think any man who doesn't gamble on sports is a pansy.
Old 06-06-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 06-06-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it kinda freaks me out if they don't like anything. Hell, its odd, but I can even deal with guys who watch bowling or cycling or that pansy-assed soccer.
Old 06-06-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I work with programmers and most of them when you mention a sport frown. Previous work places weren't this bad concerning sports. Which kind of sucks because I get tired about hearing about how someone wants to upgrade their whitcamacallit 6.0 to 6.1
Old 06-06-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I work in software too, but it's pretty evenly divided between those of us who love sports and the losers who don't.

das
Old 06-06-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe I should ask this question in the DVD nerd forums after this thread has run its course here.
Old 06-06-04, 06:07 PM

The worst are the ones (like i work with) who pretend to like sports even though they don't. They don't know anything, they don't enjoy watching games, but they seem to want to talk about sports.
Old 06-06-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if they don't like sports, then what the hell do they do alll weekend? i can't fathom that they would actually go outside and do work.
Old 06-06-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm nuts about sports, but my brother doesn't follow them at all (nor does my dad but he wasn't raised in a sports dominated culture so he has an excuse). I use to think I was the weird one, until I realized everyone follows sports. I don't think there's anything wrong with not following sports, as long as you don't hate sports and you have other normal hobbies (movies, music, etc).
Old 06-06-04, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

They are probably not reading this forum. Perhaps a thread in the Video Game forum about guys who do not play video games (I don't).

I don't have anything against guys that don't watch sports because I used to not watch any. None. I was chosen as the token clueless in office pools for football because I had no idea if San Francisco 49ers were any good, or even if they were really a football or baseball team. Seriously. Strangely, I won that football pool a few times. I voted only based on if I liked on city better than than another. The only exception to this was that I had attended some Padres baseball games with a friend as a youngster in the late 60s.

For most of my 20s, I wondered why people would watch sports. I could understand playing them, but just watching seemed like a big waste of time.

I recall visiting relatives back east one time when I was about 30 years old. Just started watching Chargers by then I think. I was asked something about a sports team. I said I had no idea. Then.. "well, you know who (insert player's name) is, right?" "Um.. no." "Hey guys, come here! This guy does not know who (same guy) is!" Boy was that fun!

And yes, I spent the weekends playing or working. Not watching TV.

Now.... I still do not watch or play attention to many sports. I don't follow basketball at all. Never follow hockey. Occasionally will watch baseball, but more as background while I work.

The only other sports I watch are car racing (regardless if someone thinks it's a sport) and that is mainly F1 and Indy; soccer, I can watch almost any game in any language, it is indeed the beautiful sport; football - I have been sucked into football ever since the glory days of San Diego and Dan Fouts and Air Coryell. Now I can't stop. I am certain from my experience learning to like watching football, that if I chose to learn about and follow almost any sport, it will become interesting. In order to save time, I don't want to start.
Old 06-06-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think people who pretend to like sports but only show interest when their home team plays are the real pansies. At least people who come right out and say they don't like sports are honest.
Old 06-06-04, 08:50 PM

gay
Old 06-06-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by MrPeanut
The worst are the ones (like i work with) who pretend to like sports even though they don't. They don't know anything, they don't enjoy watching games, but they seem to want to talk about sports.
That's one of my biggest pet peeves. If I don't follow a sport, I give a little input if I can, but otherwise stay away. I have one guy at work that just NEEDS to make conversation and so he just blabs about what he heard on the freaking radio. Has probably never watched a game....
Old 06-06-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i have many friends who dont know shit about sports. to me its really wierd since ive always grown up with sports and know every freaking stat/player ever. then you ask them a simple question like "did you see that game last night" (eg a very important game) and you assume they will be like 'hell yeah!' but instead you get 'um...no...who are the lakers?' or 'i dont watch sports'

ugh.

now i dont get upset or anything. it bugs me only to the extent that i want to talk sports sometimes and they cant. but its whats they like and dont...i respect that.
Old 06-06-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nothing I love more than listening to guys talk sports that don't know what they are saying. The question moreso maybe how many people do we know who know what the hell they are talking about? if you are a basketball fan and cannot come up with more than 2 names in a lineup (other than Kobe or Shaq) you should just stop trying.

I got no problem with someone not following sports, but don't TRY and talk it if you can't.
Old 06-07-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk God

One thing that is funny is how people I work with (who know how much I watch and gamble on pro and college football and college hoops) always ask me about last night's 'big' NBA game and I always reply 'Sorry - don't care for the NBA.' They get this confused look on their face (you don't watch the NBA?). Then a week later, we go through the same crap again.
Old 06-07-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Red Dog
One thing that is funny is how people I work with (who know how much I watch and gamble on pro and college football and college hoops) always ask me about last night's 'big' NBA game and I always reply 'Sorry - don't care for the NBA.' They get this confused look on their face (you don't watch the NBA?). Then a week later, we go through the same crap again.
yeah, who gives a flying F about the NBA anyway?
Old 06-07-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Never trust a salesman.

Never trust a politician.

Never trust a man who doesn't watch sports.
Old 06-07-04, 12:28 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I used to follow the NBA religiously from about 1990 to 1996. I was a major stats nut... I knew every team that had won the championship, when every team started, the complete history of every franchise (what cities they had been in, what name changes a team had), most of the lineups, etc. Nowadays, I pretty much just follow the standings a few times a week. I know very few players. I don't know, I still enjoy watching games but I just don't have the emotional attachment I once did. Which is probably a good thing, as I used to get furious when one of my teams lost, kicking and punching inanimate objects. And if they got kicked out of the playoffs I was deeply depressed for days. Nowadays I can just enjoy a game as a game and not as a stress-inducing heart-attack-waiting to happen.
Old 06-07-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now, how many watch sports mainly because they have money on the game, or play in fantasy leagues with a payoff in the end at stake?
Old 06-07-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
Now, how many watch sports mainly because they have money on the game, or play in fantasy leagues with a payoff in the end at stake?
I can see watching individual games for that reason, but not the sport in general. I dont gamble alot, but I would imagine most gamblers wouldnt bet on sports they hate, and then watch it.
Old 06-07-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Patman

Mainly? I don't know about mainly. I take the Homer Simpson view of gambling - think of the ice cream analogy.....we all like ice cream, right? Don't you like ice cream better when it's covered with hot fudge? And mounds of whipped cream? [getting carried away] And chopped nuts? And, ooh, those crumbled-up cookie things they mash up? Mmm... Crumbled-up cookie things...

In other words, gambling on sports makes the sport even better.
Old 06-07-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah ... I love college football and would watch any game at any time. However, with a lot of the games, I don't have a rooting interest. I don't mind simply enjoying the game anyway, but by betting on it, I now have a stake in the game and something to cheer for with value. To answer the question, the love for the sports comes first. Gambling is just something I do to cover it with those crumpled-up cookie things. Also, I've found that I'm quite good at it, and it's nice to make some extra spending money doing something I enjoy.

das

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.