Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Best baseball radio announcers?

Old 06-04-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best baseball radio announcers?

I've got access to all games through MLB Gameday Audio and I wanted to find out which feeds I should listen to.
Old 06-05-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dont bother listening to the Red Sox announcers.

"MANNY HITS A DEEP DRIVE!! ITS WAY BACK!! AND...cought by the shortstop."

Or you just get in your car and you dont know whats going on:

"Its a long fly ball to left, this ball has a chance and its..GONE!! GONE!! A HR!!..."

So know you think the Red Sox just hit a HR, but then:

"...AND THE RED SOX LOSE 5-4! WHAT A BLAST BY THE OTHER TEAM!!! WOW,WHAT A GAME!!"
Old 06-05-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^That's gotta be frustrating.
Old 06-05-04, 02:36 AM
Premium Member

Cincinnati Reds: Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall - total class.

(Joe is semi-retiring this year, though)
Old 06-05-04, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bill King of the Oakland A's...tons of great insight from the current game and the past as well.
Old 06-05-04, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Greg Schulte is very, very good for the D-backs. He's the only guy that's kept his job since the beginning.
Old 06-05-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Somedays I like Mike Shannon, but most of the time I can't stand his slurry speech. Though I do like his trademark "That's a steeeee-rike call". Even w/ all of his bad qualities he is still one million times better than the Cubs color man - Ron Santo.

The other Cards announcer Wayne Hagen is only in his second year - I think he's great. He was the Rockies radio man since their inception and he worked for KC before that. He's great at telling stories in between plays - he never misses a beat and he picks up right where he left off seamlessly. Good voice.
Old 06-05-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vin Scully!!!!

hands down, #1
Old 06-05-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A little off topic, but I've yet to hear David Justice put together a coherent sentence on the air. I like Joe Morgan, myself.
Old 06-05-04, 02:15 PM

Tom Hamilton, radio voice of the Cleveland Indians. A true professional. A solid broadcast that you turn the TV volume down and turn on the radio.
Old 06-05-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Harry Kalas on the Phillies radio (TV too). Just an amazing voice.
Old 06-05-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

John Rooney and Ed Farmer for the White Sox.

The play-by-play from Rooney is top notch. You always know what's going on.
Old 06-05-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Harry Kalas on the Phillies radio (TV too). Just an amazing voice.
My all-time favorite...although doesn't he only do a few innings on the radio now and the majority on TV?

If I had to choose another voice to listen to it would be Marty B on the Reds network.
Old 06-07-04, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by Caliking
Vin Scully!!!!

hands down, #1
I'd have to go with him too. Of course I am a Dodger fan
Old 06-08-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

kalas does the middle 3 innings on radio.
but one of those he does color.

also on phillies radio, but a warning to not listen, is scott graham.

he is just awful and i'm sure he has pictures of someone that is keeping him on the air.

if you ever watched the game of the week hi-lite show on the nfl network, he is the voice of that show.
brutal.
Old 06-08-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dick_grayson
I like Joe Morgan, myself.
Are you kidding? If I hear one more reference to the "Big Red Machine" or Johnny Bench I'm gonna puke.
Old 06-08-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kantonburg
Are you kidding? If I hear one more reference to the "Big Red Machine" or Johnny Bench I'm gonna puke.
lol
Old 06-08-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chrisih8u
Dont bother listening to the Red Sox announcers.

"MANNY HITS A DEEP DRIVE!! ITS WAY BACK!! AND...cought by the shortstop."

Or you just get in your car and you dont know whats going on:

"Its a long fly ball to left, this ball has a chance and its..GONE!! GONE!! A HR!!..."

So know you think the Red Sox just hit a HR, but then:

"...AND THE RED SOX LOSE 5-4! WHAT A BLAST BY THE OTHER TEAM!!! WOW,WHAT A GAME!!"

That is so true, they get excited no matter what happens.
Old 06-08-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by B.A.
Somedays I like Mike Shannon, but most of the time I can't stand his slurry speech. Though I do like his trademark "That's a steeeee-rike call". Even w/ all of his bad qualities he is still one million times better than the Cubs color man - Ron Santo.

The other Cards announcer Wayne Hagen is only in his second year - I think he's great. He was the Rockies radio man since their inception and he worked for KC before that. He's great at telling stories in between plays - he never misses a beat and he picks up right where he left off seamlessly. Good voice.
I agree. Shannon is good most of the time, but it is real annoying when he gets slurry.

Now, I am not just saying this because I am a Cardinals fan, but the guys who do the Cubs games on WGN are just horrible. Chip Carray and Steve Stone. I know they are obviously Cubs fans, but most of the time, Carray is going crazy for a base hit that scores a run in the 5th innning to tie the game. I mean, if you're gonna go nuts, at least wait until the outcome is probably going to be decided. Oh yeah, the guys from the White Sox are pretty bad too. "You can put it on the board, YES!" Very annoying. I know both of these examples are of TV announcers, but I felt I had to say something about them cuz they suck so bad.
Old 06-08-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Royals announcers (Denny Matthews and Ryan Lefebvre) are quite good. You'll get none of that "HOLY CRAP THAT'S THE MOST EXCITING FOUL BALL EVER HIT!!!! AND I THINK HE BROKE HIS BAT! UNBELIEVABLE!!! jive from these cats.

Of course, the one downside to all of this is, it is a Royals game they're calling.
Old 06-08-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't know who the best is now, but the best of all-time is Chuck Thompson.
Old 06-08-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
I agree. Shannon is good most of the time, but it is real annoying when he gets slurry.

Now, I am not just saying this because I am a Cardinals fan, but the guys who do the Cubs games on WGN are just horrible. Chip Carray and Steve Stone. I know they are obviously Cubs fans, but most of the time, Carray is going crazy for a base hit that scores a run in the 5th innning to tie the game. I mean, if you're gonna go nuts, at least wait until the outcome is probably going to be decided. Oh yeah, the guys from the White Sox are pretty bad too. "You can put it on the board, YES!" Very annoying. I know both of these examples are of TV announcers, but I felt I had to say something about them cuz they suck so bad.
My boss is a White Sox fan and says he loves listening to their TV announcers because they hate each other. The play by play announcer goes out of his way to correct the color commentator and make him look like an idiot.

Neihaus for the Mariners is one of the greats, no question. Problem is that you have to put up with Ron Fairlywho has made himself infamous with statements like "he fakes a bluff" and "Bruce Sutter has been around for a while and he's pretty old. He's thirty-five years old, that will give you some idea of how old he is."
Old 06-08-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze

Actually, I like Steve Stone, but I absolutely loathe Chip Caray - his voice/delivery irk me more than almost any voice in sports. It's obnoxiously fake and...it's just bad.
Old 06-09-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
I don't know who the best is now, but the best of all-time is Chuck Thompson.
i give up, who is the the announcer for?
Old 06-09-04, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by rabbit77
John Rooney and Ed Farmer for the White Sox.

The play-by-play from Rooney is top notch. You always know what's going on.
Rooney is surely one of the best. Farmer is very knowledgeable but he always bores me. I just don't like his voice or his delivery. It was better when it was Rooney and Wayne Hagen.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.