Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NWA:TNA Impact! 6-4-04

Old 06-04-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NWA:TNA Impact! 5-4-04

THE DEBUT OF IMPACT ON FOX SPORTS NET!
JUNE 4, 2004

The Friday debut of Impact! saw the evolution of TNA Wrestling, as the one-hour show from Universal Orlando Resort was a smash hit with fans! The broadcast saw America's Most Wanted reclaim the tag team title, plus The Phenomenal AJ Styles' return to the X Division! The exclusive results from the Friday debut on Fox Sports Net from Universal Orlando Resort were as follows:

TEAM INTERNATIONAL VS. TEAM CANADA
An amazing international X style match was up first, as Scott D'Amore's Team Canada of Petey Williams, Bobby Roode and Eric Young faced off against Hector Garza, Amazing Red and Sonjay Dutt. The action was off the charts by both sides in this wild bout, which saw Hector Garza score the win after a top rope moonsault on Roode!

TNA Impact announcers "The Professor" Mike Tenay and Don West welcomed us to the debut of the program, and talked about June being TNA's two-year anniversary. A "Flashback" video package was shown featuring Toby Keith's appearance on the first TNA Pay-Per-View in June 2002, and his brawl with Jeff Jarrett!

SHARK BOY VS. THE MONSTER ABYSS
Up next was the superstar from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - Sharkboy! The popular superstar made his TNA return on Impact, but unfortunately it was against the 300-plus pound monster Abyss! Goldylocks was shown watching in the back, cheering on Abyss to annihilate Sharkboy. She got her wish - as Abyss beat Sharkboy with the Black Hole Slam for the win.

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH
CHAMPIONS KID KASH AND DALLAS VS. AMERICA'S MOST WANTED
In a shocking turn of events on the debut of Impact, America's Most Wanted - Chris Harris and James Storm - reunited to face Kid Kash and Dallas for the tag team gold! It was a war to prove the better tag team, and we finally got the answer. After the champs hit Storm with a powerbomb/frog splash combo, Harris was able to take Kash out of the picture with a running spear! Dallas missed a big boot, Harris rolled him up for the count - and we now have new NWA World Tag Team Champions in America's Most Wanted! If you haven't voted on AMW's opponents for Wednesday's Pay-Per-View yet, make sure you Impact The Vote now on our main page!

IN-RING INTERVIEW WITH "THE AMERICAN DREAM" DUSTY RHODES
After a commercial break, we joined Mike Tenay in the ring who introduced "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes! After speaking about the NWA heritage in TNA, Rhodes was rudely interrupted by the new NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett! The champion verbally abused the NWA legend, and demanded Rhodes leave the ring. The American Dream fought back, but was quickly facing a guitar smash from Jarrett - until Ron "The Truth" Killings hit the ring and saved Rhodes! However, The Truth's heroics instead earned him the guitar shot from Jarrett. After the ring was cleared, Truth's fellow 3Live Kru members Konnan and BG James promised the champion he would have to answer to them on Wednesday night!

INTERVIEW - SHANE DOUGLAS WITH DIRECTOR OF AUTHORITY VINCE RUSSO
New TNA broadcast colleague Shane Douglas was on hand to interview Director of Authority Vince Russo about Impact's main event for a shot at Kazarian's X Title. Russo promised that the final fourth competitor in the upcoming match would surprise everyone!

FOUR SUPERSTAR X MATCH
FOR A SHOT AT KAZARIAN'S X CHAMPIONSHIP
MICHAEL SHANE VS. CHRIS SABIN VS. PRIMETIME VS. AJ STYLES
In another surprise on the debut of Impact, former NWA World Heavyweight Champion AJ Styles returned to the X Division and his no-limits roots to earn a shot at Kazarian's gold! The bout saw all four X style superstars go all-out to win in this aerial showcase, and in the end it was The Phenomenal One beating Michael Shane with the Styles Clash to earn the shot this Wednesday on Pay-Per-View!
Old 06-04-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched this and, aside from Jeff Jarrett being champion and hitting people with the stringless guitar, I thought it was a pretty solid show.

Not as much talking, but more wrestling.

Pretty solid production values also. Might try and catch it again.
Old 06-04-04, 11:02 PM
Banned

I was gonna start this thread but for some reason i dont have that button. Anyway, I watched this today and with this being my 1st NWA:TNA this is what i noticed.
Positives:
1. The six sided ring kicks ass. At first i thought i'd hate it and it would be to much like UFC but it's awesome.
2. The X division is kool. They are high flying and i like their cruiserweight style.
3. Having a show a friday is sweet. I always wanted to watch wrestling on a friday before im busy over the weekend.
4. Seeing Ron Killings (K Kwik in WWE) have a main event status is a good thing. I always liked him in WWE.
5. Had a real wcw feel to it. With all the former guys and the entrance way was kinda like the one on WCW saturday night.

Negatives:
1. The Time slot of 3:00pm is horrible most people are not off work or out of school yet.
2. The Length of the show should be 2 hours. It felt a little rushed.
3. The Shark boy v.s. Abyss match was a total squash and could have took the place of a good match.

Overall:
It was excellent. I hope they do it where they have a 2 hour show on tv and then monthly pay per view. Can't wait to watch Impact next week.
Old 06-04-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got done watching it thanks to my VCR. I thought it was a pretty solid show. I liked the use of the Fox Box. It'll help n00bs recognize the wrestlers faster. The 6-sided ring is definitely cool. I expect to see some pretty crazy stuff occur as a result of it.

I agree, the Abyss/Shark Boy match was a total waste. They could've had a promo or something during that 5 minutes.
Old 06-05-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did they give that ass clown Jonny Fairplay any airtime?
Old 06-05-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

read the recap above

nope
Old 06-05-04, 11:47 AM
Banned

Johnny Fairplay was at Impact and came out with Vince Russo but it was before the Tv Taping.