Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

What MLB statistic rules would you like to see changed?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-04-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Granted these will never happen because of how baseball and "tradition" go hand in hand, but it's cool to fantasize about:

* Sacrifice flies counting as an AB

* RBI rule: You get 1 RBI credit for hitting into a double play with 0 out and a runner from 3rd scores

* RBI rule (pt. 2): You get no credit for an RBI for catcher interference

* Only starting pitchers can get a win or a loss for games where the starter goes 5 innings+. No relievers can earn a win unless the starting pitcher pitches less than 5 innings, at which point the pitcher that pitched most effectively will get the win. Nothing's worse than when a starter leaves a game ahead 1-0 in the 9th and the reliever gives up a HR and then his team hits a HR in the bottom to win the game. Starter gets shit, reliever (who blew the save) gets the win. Weak.

* Ground rule double in a walk-off situation is credited as a double and not as a single. (a bases loaded ground rule double should score 2 and the batter be awarded 2 RBI, for instance)

* Any ball hit in the air that drops in front of a fielder because of sun blindness or miscommunication due to a fielder should be a "team error", not a base hit for the batter.

Anyone got more? Agree or disagree with these?
Old 06-04-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk God

The save rule. Eliminate the 3 run/1 inning option. Either pitch the 7th, 8th, and 9th while holding any lead or come in with the tying run on deck and finish the game to earn the save.

I don't agree with your first 4. No problem with your last 2.
Old 06-04-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I knew a few of mine wouldn't be too popular. However, the sacrifice fly = no official at bat bugs me. You're not sacrificing yourself like you are with a bunt. There's no obvious intent to hit a fly ball. 95% of all sac flies are batters trying to hit the ball into a gap or over the fence. Yet they get credit for giving themselves up to score a run?

And in that case, why isn't a fly ball to right where the runner tags and advances from 2nd to 3rd considered a sacrifice fly. Just because it scores a run, it's more sacrificial than other situations?
Old 06-04-04, 06:26 PM

Disagree. It shouldnt hurt your average if you sacrifice a runner to home.

* RBI rule: You get 1 RBI credit for hitting into a double play with 0 out and a runner from 3rd scores

Disagree. Its like the sacrifice, but 2 outs shouldnt get you an RBI.

Disagree, you were the batter, the run scored.

* Only starting pitchers can get a win or a loss for games where the starter goes 5 innings+. No relievers can earn a win unless the starting pitcher pitches less than 5 innings, at which point the pitcher that pitched most effectively will get the win. Nothing's worse than when a starter leaves a game ahead 1-0 in the 9th and the reliever gives up a HR and then his team hits a HR in the bottom to win the game. Starter gets shit, reliever (who blew the save) gets the win. Weak.

Disagree. Cuz the reliever gets a BS as well as the win.

* Ground rule double in a walk-off situation is credited as a double and not as a single. (a bases loaded ground rule double should score 2 and the batter be awarded 2 RBI, for instance)

Agree

* Any ball hit in the air that drops in front of a fielder because of sun blindness or miscommunication due to a fielder should be a "team error", not a base hit for the batter.

Disagree. Its an unneccessary change.

The only rules I have a problem with involve hit batters. Pitchers should be able to intentionally hit a batter. More importantly opposing pitchers should have the right to retaliate. After the retaliation the warning should go out to both teams, and further intentional hit batters should result in the ejection of the pitcher.
Old 06-04-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Stu 17:

Your two disagreements with my RBI rules completely contradict each other. You were the batter and the run scored on your GIDP, but you say 0 RBI should result. Yet on catcher's interference -- when you could completely be missing the ball altogether yet still nicking the catcher's mitt -- the RBI counts? Huh?
Old 06-04-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Your first one is crazy jibba-jabba . Hitting a fly ball deep enough to advance a runner is as difficult as bunting a runner across, especially when the pitcher knows you're trying to do it.

Don't agree with 2. Don't have an opinion on 3. Don't agree with 4. Agree with 5 and 6.

Also, I agree with Red Dog's save suggestion.

das
Old 06-04-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: What MLB statistic rules would you like to see changed?

Originally posted by El Scorcho
Granted these will never happen because of how baseball and "tradition" go hand in hand, but it's cool to fantasize about:

I heard on the radio last week sacrifice flies did count as an AB at one point and if the current sac fly rules were in place in 1941 Ted Williams would have hit about .418.
Old 06-05-04, 01:24 AM
Stealth Moderator

* Only starting pitchers can get a win or a loss for games where the starter goes 5 innings+.
So if a starting pitcher gives up 8 runs in 6 innings and leaves the game down 8-0 ... but his team comes back to win 9-8 ... the starting pitcher should get the win?
Old 06-05-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WHen a player is thrown out, he is OUT for the game. THis way people will run out those infield hits instead of trotting back to the dugout without any hustle. Nothing bugs me more than seeing that.
Old 06-05-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bring back the GWIBBIE!
Old 06-05-04, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: What MLB statistic rules would you like to see changed?

Originally posted by namja
So if a starting pitcher gives up 8 runs in 6 innings and leaves the game down 8-0 ... but his team comes back to win 9-8 ... the starting pitcher should get the win?
As crazy as that sounds, that's a hell of a lot more worthwhile than a reliever pitching 1/3 of an inning in a tie game, then his team scores a run to win and he gets credited with a W!
Old 06-05-04, 04:46 AM

How common is this really? Not many guys can give up 8 runs over 6 innings without getting pulled.

But still, I think tradition prevails in this one.
Old 06-05-04, 05:12 AM
Stealth Moderator

I agree that the batter should not be credited for a base hit, but I think that the fielder should be charged an error. If it was a miscommunication, then all fielders involved should get errors.

I'd also like to see a change in the save rule. I don't want to see as drastic a change as the one Red Dog is suggesting, but it should be tougher to get a save. Coming into a game in the 9th inning with the bases loaded and up by 5 runs then getting a save is a joke.
Old 06-05-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree that the batter should not be credited for a base hit, but I think that the fielder should be charged an error. If it was a miscommunication, then all fielders involved should get errors.

I'd also like to see a change in the save rule. I don't want to see as drastic a change as the one Red Dog is suggesting, but it should be tougher to get a save. Coming into a game in the 9th inning with the bases loaded and up by 5 runs then getting a save is a joke.
I still like the "team error" concept better, just like there are "team rebounds" in basketball. You can't pin an error on more than 1 guy at the same time, that'd seem really silly. And since you don't know which guy is to blame, a team error would work nicely.

And re: your save situation comment -- why is it a joke? A bloop and a blast and the game is blown. It's actually more difficult of a situation to get a save in than coming in with a 3-0 lead, at which point you'd need 3 baserunners to win it at the very least instead of 2 in the situation above.
Old 06-05-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Coming into a game in the 9th inning with the bases loaded and up by 5 runs then getting a save is a joke.

That is less of a joke than coming in to start the 9th with a 3 run lead and blowing that lead.
Old 06-05-04, 12:36 PM

What about getting a save with a 10 run lead? I remember last year the A's had a 10 run lead and the reliever got a save because he pitched the last 3 innings "effectively".
Old 06-05-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Re: Re: What MLB statistic rules would you like to see changed?

Originally posted by D300
What about getting a save with a 10 run lead? I remember last year the A's had a 10 run lead and the reliever got a save because he pitched the last 3 innings "effectively".

I don't have a problem with that - that is more respectable to me than the 3 run/1 inning bullshit, but I wouldn't have any major objection if you put some kind of restriction on it like a 7 run lead or give up more than half-the-lead.
Old 06-05-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Triple the number of runs scored if you call your homerun shot, triple the number of outs if you blow it (which carry into the next inning).

Old 06-05-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh yeah... and you should be able to peg a runner with the ball instead of throwing to a bag for an out. Old school. Old school.
Old 06-05-04, 09:10 PM

Also, if the catcher gets to block home plate, then we should let the 1st baseman block 1st base.
Old 06-06-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

- Agree. If you do push a run across you get an RBI as your reward. As you stated, many times, it's not intentional but simply an extra bonus for a normal fly-out when your teammate managed to get to 3rd base

- Disagree. For the same reasons as I think a sac fly should be an at bat. Plus, if your at bat was so bad to record two outs you shouldn't get any bonus

Diasgree. This almost never happens, but I suppose if the bases are loaded and you get on via catcher's intereference, I see no reason not to get an RBI

Disagree. Although your example is a weak relief win, I'd point out two things. One, the offical scorer doesn't have to give the RP a win (it almost never happens, but he can award it to the SP. Second, as another poster detailed above, a guy could get a loss even without giving up a run. Now that's even weaker

Agree. Don't see why not

Agree. Or even award an error to the fielder. Seems like a general reluctance for errors these days. Don't award hitters and penalize pitchers for fielder incomeptence. This is a great change in my book
Old 06-06-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's one that gripes my a$$.

This weekend Tony LaRussa got a win while sitting in the pressbox with the owner while on suspension. How is this possible? He wasn't managing, he was suspended, wasn't in uniform, was not involved with the game whatsoever.
Old 06-06-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the biggest statistical disparity yet.....the "designted hitter" rule. Nothing else even comes close.