Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Quarterback Challenge Records

Old 06-04-04, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quarterback Challenge Records

Anyone know where I can find information pertaining to records for the NFL Quarterback Challenge?

A colleague of mine insists that Elway could throw from goalpost to goalpost, but I'm sure that I've seen him many times in the Quarterback Challenge and I seem to remember ~80 YRDS being the farthest anyone ever got.

Help?
Old 06-04-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's just legend that Elway could throw goalpost to goalpost. That's 120 yards. Not only that, the throw would probably have to be more like 150 to account for gravity, the drag coefficient, wind, etc.

He can throw far, no doubt, but not that fair. Vick however, can throw the ball out of the stadium from his own 20.
Old 06-04-04, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DVD Josh
Vick however, can throw the ball out of the stadium from his own 20.

I knew somebody would bring that up, but I thought the first reply was too much to hope for. Guess not!
Old 06-04-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love that commercial
Old 06-04-04, 09:14 PM
Banned

Anyone have any idea where I could look for this information?

I tried google. searched for "quarterback challenge" and "quarterback challenge records" among other things.... no luck.
Old 06-04-04, 11:00 PM
Premium Member

Don't know the accuracy of the source, but this bio says he could throw it 85 yards (doesn't really say that's his limit, though)...

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/T...John_Elway.htm
Old 06-04-04, 11:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by The Cow
Don't know the accuracy of the source, but this bio says he could throw it 85 yards (doesn't really say that's his limit, though)...

That's some great stuff. This was my favorite part:

" Elway batted .321 at Stanford and with his arm, he could've played any position in the outfield. Following his college career, he had to make a tough decision between baseball and football and as good as he was as a pro football player, some still think he would've been as successful in baseball after seeing him go .361 with 9 home runs and 50 RBIs in 49 games as a sophomore."

That would have been awesome to see Elway play Baseball full time. He could still be playing.
Old 06-05-04, 10:55 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by The Cow

I looked around a bit and couldn't find anything solid on Elway. I did find that Manning has thrown one about 75 yards in one of the challenges, and I'd think that there are/have been several QBs with greater arm strength than Manning.