Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The 136th Belmont Stakes - Smarty Jones tries to join the legends

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-03-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Will Smarty do it? I've been dying to see a Triple Crown winner ever since Spectacular Bid was near miss (and a victim of a circumstance) in 1979, a year after Affirmed became the last horse to sweep the trifecta.

• When: Saturday at 6:38 p.m. EDT
• Where: Belmont Park, New York
• TV: NBC
• Field: Nine 3-year-olds
• Distance: 1 1/2 miles
• Favorite: Smarty Jones, 2-5
• Total purse: $1,000,000
• Winner's share: $600,000
• Weather forecast: Partly cloudy with high temperatures in the low 70s.
• 2003 Winner: Empire Maker

The field for Saturday's 136th Belmont Stakes, with post position, horse's name, jockey's name and odds:

1. Master David, Santos, 20-1
2. Purge, Velazquez, 5-1
3. Caiman, Dominguez, 50-1
4. Birdstone, Prado, 15-1
5. Rock Hard Ten, Solis, 8-1
6. Royal Assault, Day, 20-1
7. Tap Dancer, Castellano, 50-1
8. Eddington, Bailey, 10-1
9. Smarty Jones, Elliott, 2-5
• Trainers (by post position): 1, Bobby Frankel. 2, Todd Pletcher. 3, Angel Medina. 4, Nick Zito. 5, Jason Orman. 6, Nick Zito. 7, Ed Allard. 8, Mark Hennig. 9, John Servis.
Old 06-03-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pretty sure the race is in HD.
Old 06-03-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He's...gonna...go...all...the...way.
Old 06-03-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 136th Belmont Stakes - Smarty Jones tries to join the legends

Originally posted by Red Dog
1. Master David, Santos, 20-1
2. Purge, Velazquez, 5-1
3. Caiman, Dominguez, 50-1
4. Birdstone, Prado, 15-1
5. Rock Hard Ten, Solis, 8-1
6. Royal Assault, Day, 20-1
7. Tap Dancer, Castellano, 50-1
8. Eddington, Bailey, 10-1
There are other horses in this race?
Old 06-03-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can't miss rock hard ten, he is about a foot taller than all the other horses. Kind of bizarre actually...

dave
Old 06-03-04, 01:32 PM
Retired

I don't get why there's such an uproar over this. I don't remember there being this much attention in the media the past couple years when other horses went into the Belmont with a chance for the triple crown?

Is it because of Seabiscuit?

That said, I'd like to see it happen as there hasn't been a triple crown winner in my lifetime, as I was born in Nov. 1978,
Old 06-03-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I don't get why there's such an uproar over this. I don't remember there being this much attention in the media the past couple years when other horses went into the Belmont with a chance for the triple crown?

Is it because of Seabiscuit?

That said, I'd like to see it happen as there hasn't been a triple crown winner in my lifetime, as I was born in Nov. 1978,

I think Seabiscuit is a big part of it. Plus Funny Cide was a pretty big story last year. I remember seeing tons of columns about his rags-to-riches story. Smarty is kind of piggy-backing on that. Also, Smarty Jones is undefeated. The last horse to go undefeated and take the first 2 legs of the TC was Seattle Slew 27 years ago.
Old 06-03-04, 01:44 PM
Retired

Yeah, Funny Cide got a lot of press, but not this much. I mean Smarty Jones is on the cover of ESPN Magazine and is basically everywhere you turn.

I'd forgotten about the undefeated thing, but in truth I don't think that would get him more press in the mainstream media, or make average non racing fans care like this.
Old 06-03-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Yeah, Funny Cide got a lot of press, but not this much. I mean Smarty Jones is on the cover of ESPN Magazine and is basically everywhere you turn.

I'd forgotten about the undefeated thing, but in truth I don't think that would get him more press in the mainstream media, or make average non racing fans care like this.

Also, keep in mind that not many horses win the Preakness by 11+ lengths.

Plus those losers in Philly (where he is based) are dying for a winner/champion.
Old 06-03-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They've pretty much given up on the Eagles/Phillies/Flyers/Sixers winning anything anytime soon so they turn to a horse.
Old 06-03-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by El Scorcho

They've pretty much given up on the Eagles/Phillies/Flyers/Sixers winning anything anytime soon so they turn to a horse.

One of the greatest things about pro sports is that Philly has not won a major title since 1982. What makes it all the more enjoyable to me is that my home town of Baltimore has 2 titles in that same time with 2 fewer teams and with a football team for only 9 years in the timeframe.
Old 06-03-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's even better is that each of those teams has had numerous trips to their league's final four in all those years.
Old 06-04-04, 09:52 AM

Does anyone know where I can find more picks for ALL the races?

I already found this one.

I'm gonna be at the track tomorrow!
Old 06-04-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

They are projecting that the record betting handle will be shattered tomorrow....by $10 million.

If he wins the Belmont, thanks to the $5M TC bonus, Smarty would become the all-time leading earner, breaking Cigar's record.

Can't decide whether to go to Laurel or just stay home and bet online. Probably the latter. Best option seems to find an couple additional horses to box with Smarty and Rock Hard Ten in a 4-horse trifecta.
Old 06-04-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sometimes living a couple of minutes from Fairmount Park is just too tempting.
Old 06-04-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

FYI - ESPN Classic is airing their SportsCentury episodes about the most recent Triple Crown horses tonight:

SPORTSCENTURY: AFFIRMED/ALYDAR 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm
SPORTSCENTURY: CITATION 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm
SPORTSCENTURY: SECRETARIAT 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm
SPORTSCENTURY: SEATTLE SLEW 9:00 pm to 10:00 pm
SPORTSCENTURY: AFFIRMED/ALYDAR 11:00 pm to 12:00 am
Old 06-04-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, keep in mind that not many horses win the Preakness by 11+ lengths.

Plus those losers in Philly (where he is based) are dying for a winner/champion.
Yeah, but the thing is, he isn't from Philadelphia. He (Smarty) is based out of West Chester which is in Chester County. Philadelphia Park is not in the city of Philadelphia either, as it is in Bensalem which is in Bucks County. Philadelphia will still be without a winner (technically).

BUT, regardless of winning or losing, a parade and shit is set up for him anyway. There was a nice chunk of the paper dedicated to the horse. Big party taking place down on the Parkway from 4-8pm with a huge screen showing the race.

Philadelphians may think this is their chance to break the streak... even though again he isn't technically from Philadelphia.

Originally posted by El Scorcho
I don't believe anyone has given up on them. I wouldn't call myself an Eagles fan (Tampa fan I would) but the die-hard fans in the city may bitch and cry about every little thing but I wouldn't say they have given up on them.

As far as another losing team, you can add the Arena Football Team (the Soul) to the list. Although, the season is still too early to judge the Phillies as losers. The Flyers made an impressive run. The Sixers...well...

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 06-04-04 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-04-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

He's the best 3-year old I've seen since Skip Away.

He's demonstrated he can run on a fast track, off-track, or sloppy track. He won the Kentucky Derby on a sloppy track. He won the Preakness on a fast track.

He's demonstrated he can run from all post positions. He won the Arkansas Derby on a sloppy track from post number 14 - outside post, and ran the final furlong in 12 seconds.

He's rates well. Therefore, the 1 1/2 shouldn't be too much a problem.

He can run from the front or just off the pace.

Versatility doesn't hurt.

Having said that - you don't bet on him. He won't pay any money.

Note: Funny Cide was not near the 'talented' colt that Smarty Jones is.

It will be interesting to see the strategy the trainer & jockey employs. He just might jump to the lead from the front and attempt to stay in front all the way. The last 3 Triple Crown winners have done just that.

BTW: Even if he wins, I don't expect him to equal Secretariat's track record.
Old 06-04-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
Yeah, but the thing is, he isn't from Philadelphia. He (Smarty) is based out of West Chester which is in Chester County. Philadelphia Park is not in the city of Philadelphia either, as it is in Bensalem which is in Bucks County. Philadelphia will still be without a winner (technically).
Not to split hairs, but I think the horse is also from Bucks County. Not that it's a big deal though. I live in Chester County and tell everyone that I live in Philly to avoid the confusion.
Old 06-04-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

One thing against Smarty Jones - when & who was the last non-Kentucky bred colt to win the Triple Crown?
Old 06-04-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Not to split hairs, but I think the horse is also from Bucks County. Not that it's a big deal though. I live in Chester County and tell everyone that I live in Philly to avoid the confusion.
Quote from here: http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/tc/...?PersonID=1024

"Roy “Chappy” Chapman and his wife, Pat, settled on the name Someday Farm for their Thoroughbred breeding operation in Chester County, Pennsylvania."

As for living in Philly...I am guilty of saying the same thing...although I do say "the Philadelphia area."
Old 06-05-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Smarty is 1-9 now. I wonder how many people are making $2 win bets just to have a souveneir. $2 win tickets for Smarty from the Derby are now going for $100+ on ebay and this is before we know if he will be a TC winner.

I guess I'll refrain from making a trifecta bet with Smarty in it - not worth it. I'll concentrate on place and show bets.
Old 06-05-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk God

You could have bet the Acorn Stakes (3-year fillies) yesterday, coupled with whoever you chose to bet on today. I didn't win yesterday, so that option is not open to me.

The strange thing is that I knew the best horse in the race was the eventual winner. I don't know why I didn't bet that way.
Old 06-05-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

1-9 has to be the shortest odds ever in the Belmont.

However, there's 5 hours for those odds to change.
Old 06-05-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Smarty is 1-9 now. I wonder how many people are making $2 win bets just to have a souveneir. $2 win tickets for Smarty from the Derby are now going for $100+ on ebay and this is before we know if he will be a TC winner.

I guess I'll refrain from making a trifecta bet with Smarty in it - not worth it. I'll concentrate on place and show bets.
1-9

i guess those guys havent heard cman's arguements about how its impossible for smarty to win this race

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.