Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Which is the LEAST legitimate "sport"?
Golf
5.26%
NASCAR
15.79%
Competitive Video Gaming
39.47%
Judge Decided Olympic Events
5.26%
Ping-Pong
0%
Marksmanship/Rifle
0%
Billiards
2.63%
Poker against Human Opponents
23.68%
Darts
5.26%
Other
2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

What is and is not a sport?

Old 06-02-04, 11:46 PM

What is and is not a sport?

My friends and I have lately been discussing the relative "legitimacy" of sports, in terms of what are sports, and what really aren't.

Basically, here's my take:

True Sports: A clear winner, victory is based on physical speed, skill, strength,agility, endurance, technique, or a combination of these factors, and even if there is a draw, there is little or no subjectivity factor (like a judge deciding who wins) even though a referee or umpire could make a critical call that could decide the outcome.

True Sports:

Boxing (Judged, but can still be won by KO or TKO, and is so physically demanding in so many aspects that it cannot reasonably be called an almost- sport despite a subjectivity factor)

Baseball
Basketball
Football
Hockey
Tennis
Track and Field
Weightlifting/Strongman Contests
Soccer (Much as I hate it)
Unjudged Olympic Sports (Clear winner)
Horseracing: Although the HORSE should and usually does get the credit, as it is the athlete.

Modified/Almost Sports: Heavy on athleticism, but criteria for victory is subjective.

Almost sports: Many gymnastic events (Judges decide who wins)

Athletic Events: Not true sports, despite a clear winner in many categories. In these, the emphasis is on physical skill and technique; not really much athleticism in the way of strength, speed, reflexes, or endurance.

Golf
Table Tennis
Rifle/Marksmanship
Archery
Darts
Billiards

Non-Sports

No emphasis on physical strength, speed, or agility. Perhaps some technique. That is not to say that these events can be won without skill, just that less is required, or the skill isn't really physical in nature.

NASCAR,Formula 1 Racing/Most other auto or motorcycle racing
Competitive Video Gaming
Poker/Card games against human opponents

So these, are my opinions, and I expect at least a few vehement disagreements, but please back up your thoughts with a rationale- don't just say "X is /is not a sport and you're wrong".

Last edited by JurisIL; 06-02-04 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-02-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A sport requires two things:

1) Physical technique (driving an object, swinging an object, running, lifting, endurance, whatever)
2) Direct competition with another, i.e. your actions directly affect the performance of your opponent, and in turn the outcome.

Other such competitive events are races and games, not to be confused with sports.

There you go. That's it. You can close the thread now.

das

P.S. How can you possibly argue that table tennis does not require athleticism of speed, reflexes, or endurance. Table tennis is a sport and you're wrong!!!
Old 06-03-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What is and is not a sport?

Originally posted by JurisIL
Non-Sports

No emphasis on physical strength, speed, or agility.

NASCAR,Formula 1 Racing/Most other auto or motorcycle racing
Paging RandyC to Thread 367662!

You're right. They just sit lazily in a chair and drive a car, just like so many soccer moms in minivans.

And I'm confused as to why you are calling it a sport just because my mode of transport is live (a horse) vs. mechanized (an auto).

And thanks for leaving out Spelling Bee.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 06-03-04 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-03-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I voted Poker... personally, i still end up considering most of those sports, just not in the same atheletic class as the ususal suspects, like Basketball, Football, etc...

And i think competitive video gaming is in the same class as auto racing and horse racing.
Old 06-03-04, 01:30 AM
Stealth Moderator

Well, you can leave NBA, NFL, and MLB out since there is a LOT of subjectivity factor. Especially the NBA where Stern picks who gets to win.
Old 06-03-04, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
A sport requires two things:

1) Physical technique (driving an object, swinging an object, running, lifting, endurance, whatever)
2) Direct competition with another, i.e. your actions directly affect the performance of your opponent, and in turn the outcome.

Other such competitive events are races and games, not to be confused with sports.

There you go. That's it. You can close the thread now.

das

P.S. How can you possibly argue that table tennis does not require athleticism of speed, reflexes, or endurance. Table tennis is a sport and you're wrong!!!
Endurance in Table Tennis? I don't think so....

Interesting that you should go to bat for Table Tennis, I've watched it recently on ESPN2, and it's really not as entertaining as say, watching a ping pong game between two amateurs. There are some good rallies, but generally, the points end after one or two hits, and they only play to 11...
Old 06-03-04, 01:42 AM
Mod Emeritus

Are you making up your definition?

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by JurisIL
Endurance in Table Tennis? I don't think so....
Try playing table tennis then. If you're any good and the person you're playing against is any good, after an hour, you'll be sweating as much as if you had played basketball.

Re: Re: What is and is not a sport?

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon

You're right. They just sit lazily in a chair and drive a car, just like so many soccer moms in minivans.

And I'm confused as to why you are calling it a sport just because my mode of transport is live (a horse) vs. mechanized (an auto).
Ah, here we have the "Straw Man" technique...

I NEVER said that auto racing is easy or could be compared to daily driving.

I also NEVER SAID that I'm calling horseracing a sport "just because" the mode of transport is a living thing. I'm calling auto racing a non- sport because of the reasons I laid out earlier. IMO, the horse gets credit for being a nonhuman athlete and must defeat its opponent with superior speed and endurance.

I would argue that Robot Boxing is not a sport "just because" the opponents are not living things....

Last edited by JurisIL; 06-03-04 at 01:44 AM.
Old 06-03-04, 01:43 AM
Mod Emeritus

This is a pretty futile debate. Most of what you say or someone else says is opinion.
Old 06-03-04, 01:44 AM
Mod Emeritus

I would however, argue that Robot Boxing is not a sport because the opponents are not living things....
What about Foxy Boxing?
Old 06-03-04, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you ever repeatedly shot with a bow and arrow? A weakling with no endurance might not fair so well.

Foxy Boxing would be definitely more entertaining to watch, but probably falls into the "entertainment only" category....similar to Wrestling, whicg is not a sport IMO because it is staged, despite the fact that the performers could be considered athletes.

Last edited by JurisIL; 06-03-04 at 01:50 AM.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by namja
Try playing table tennis then. If you're any good and the person you're playing against is any good, after an hour, you'll be sweating as much as if you had played basketball.
I wouldn't go that far, as basketball requires a lot more physical exertion. But you're right, it is pretty tough.
Old 06-03-04, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Have you ever repeatedly shot with a bow and arrow? A weakling with no endurance might not fair so well. -obfrank-
Yes I have, but I don't think that "who can shoot the most arrows" is a category by which victory in archery is decided.

And BTW- Because "damage done" is also not a factor, you could probably choose whatever draw weight you wanted...but there may be a standard draw that I'm not aware of...
Old 06-03-04, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
This is a pretty futile debate. Most of what you say or someone else says is opinion.
The whole point of the thread is to gather opinions. Is there a problem with this?

A religious debate is a matter of opinion, and so are most political discussions...why criticize this thread for the same reason that debates rage on the rest of the forum?
Old 06-03-04, 01:53 AM
Mod Emeritus

I think we've done this one at least 3 or 4 times on this forum. I notice you're relatively new so maybe not around for the last iteration. Go ahead and knock yourself out though.
Old 06-03-04, 01:54 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by the aftermath
I wouldn't go that far, as basketball requires a lot more physical exertion. But you're right, it is pretty tough.
Okay, have YOU played table tennis?

I'm not saying that table is as physically exerting as basketball, but that you can SWEAT just as much. If you're really good in table tennis, then you can swinging your paddle just as hard as you'd swing a tennis racket or just as hard as you'd spike a volleyball or just as hard as you'd punch someone in boxing. I've gone rallys where I'd spike the ball as hard as I can and the guy spikes the ball right back, and we'd do this like 10x in a row. Everytime, I'm hitting just about as hard as I can. At the end of the hour, my shirt is soaked in sweat.
Old 06-03-04, 01:55 AM

FYI, I played Table Tennis almost every day for the last 8 months,(only form of entertainment inside the grad school building that I attend) and indeed it can be tiring, but only after say, 7 or 8 matches of three games each, and our matches involve an incredible amount of rallies...far more than in a professional table tennis match.
Old 06-03-04, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
I think we've done this one at least 3 or 4 times on this forum. I notice you're relatively new so maybe not around for the last iteration. Go ahead and knock yourself out though.
True. Well, if it's a "repeat thread" then I apologize...
Old 06-03-04, 01:59 AM
Mod Emeritus

Don't apologize. If memory serves me, the threads were more about specific sports NOT being a sport but then evolve into what is and isn't a sport, usually they get pretty ugly. Maybe this one will be cleaner though.
Old 06-03-04, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, have YOU played table tennis?
Yes I have.
Old 06-03-04, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Someone paged me?

wait.. ip check.. hang on...
Old 06-03-04, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

The thing about definitions of words, you really can't just make them up to suit your point. First, we need to truly define the word sport.

And you have a good start here-
A clear winner, victory is based on physical speed, skill, strength,agility, endurance, technique, or a combination of these factors, and even if there is a draw, there is little or no subjectivity factor (like a judge deciding who wins) even though a referee or umpire could make a critical call that could decide the outcome.
But then of course, you don't want to consider sports that have no clear cut winner and are fuzzy... but your definition gets fuzzy. You seem to be adding things like true and athletic, how much endurance and such.
Old 06-03-04, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

Or we could use Hemingway's definition-

"There are only two types of sports ... Auto racing and bull fighting, The rest are just games"

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.