Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The arms in the Angels outfield

Old 06-02-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The arms in the Angels outfield

With the recent signing of Raul Modesi to play center field, has their ever been three better throwing arms in an outfield than Guillen, Mondesi, and Vlad?
Old 06-02-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's doubtful. They were talking about it last night during the game. Even the Boston manager mentioned that they all know about it and will not challenge them unless they have to.

That play last night with Vlad was a case of desperation and they just barely beat the tag...no way you should challenge anyone in that outfield.

Let's not forget the Molina bros. behind home plate too
Old 06-02-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Blake
It's doubtful. They were talking about it last night during the game. Even the Boston manager mentioned that they all know about it and will not challenge them unless they have to.

That play last night with Vlad was a case of desperation and they just barely beat the tag...no way you should challenge anyone in that outfield.

Let's not forget the Molina bros. behind home plate too
Yep. I'm really surprised that when Ortiz went for two on Vlad's arm, the ump, who was in a bad position, didn't give Guerrero the call.

Guillen showed off his arm as well. Manny was on second, there was a single into left, and for some ungodly reason, 3rd base coach Dale Sveum waved him home. Manny apparently didn't see him and stopped, which was a smart idea. Guillen hit Molina with a strike that would have beaten him by 20 ft.

That is one scary outfield.
Old 06-02-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, Manny was smart when he ignored the coach - he would have been out by a mile. Raul didn't get to show off his arm last night, but he did have a nice play on a lined shot to center. I wasn't a big fan of Raul joining the team, but something had to be done. We'll see how it pans out. But for now, that outfield is dangerous (both defensively AND offensively).
Old 06-02-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Their best arm still resides in the bullpen. K-Rod is god. Put him in and Fahgettaboudit. I can't wait until his contract comes up.
Old 06-02-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wabio
Their best arm still resides in the bullpen. K-Rod is god. Put him in and Fahgettaboudit. I can't wait until his contract comes up.
It's pretty much a given that the Angels will sign him for a long ass time after his rookie contract and arbitration is up.
Old 06-02-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked the scene where the angel made the guy throw the ball super fast. Yeah, that can't be beat. But the floating guy was neat too.
Old 06-02-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The problem with that outfield is that they're all rightfielders.

It's not a huge problem, but it's not exactly ideal.
Old 06-02-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never would have imagined being happy to see anyone other than Erstad/Salmon/Edmonds in the outfield.