Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The French Open

Old 05-25-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The French Open

The French Open, the ultimate test of the tennis player, is underway!

Men
-----

Federer, who hadn't won a match at the French Open for two years, broke the losing streak by winning his 1st match easily.
Truly an all court player, he's the favorite to win but I pick Moya, who already won 5 tournaments this year. Ferrero is playing injured.

Women
---------

Henin-Hardenne is just coming off a 6 week layoff because of injury. her 1st match wasn't pretty but she won. If she can make it to the 2nd week she has a shot but her fitness is questionable.
Amelie Mauresmo has been looking good lately so she has a shot. The Williams sisters are a threat but they are both on the same side of the draw. Wooo! No Williams sisters final.

Highlights
-------------
- Agassi out in 1st round to a French qualifier who was playing his 1st ever match on tour. Agassi's last year?

- The longest match in tennis history (professional era) was played this morning between two Frenchmen. Fabrice Santoro beat Arnaud Clement 6-4 6-3 6-7(4) 3-6 16-14 in 6 hours 33 min. over 2 days.
This marathon beats the previous longest match in the Open era, which stretches back to 1968. That was a McEnroe-Wilander Davis Cup quarter final that lasted six hours, 22 minutes back in 1982.

- 20 years after she won her last French Open singles title, 47-year-old Martina Navratilova was beaten by Argentine Gisela Dulko 6-1 6-3 in first round action Tuesday afternoon.
Obviously not her best surface, she has a better shot at winning a couple of rounds at Wimbledon.

Apparently, a lot of players weren't too happy about Navratilova receiving a wild card:

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/news_story.asp?id=85101

But I'm sure that Mauresmo and Navratilova will eventually kiss and make out. Errr... make up.
Old 05-25-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read about the Agassi upset. Maybe it is time to retire. A straight set loss to a guy who's never played an ATP tour match? Ugh.
Old 05-25-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shizawn
I read about the Agassi upset. Maybe it is time to retire. A straight set loss to a guy who's never played an ATP tour match? Ugh.
Agassi hasn't played on clay at all this year; he made a conscious decision to focus on grass and hard courts. He probably won't retire very soon because he's trying to raise money for his school, or so he says.
Old 05-25-04, 03:37 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by LurkerDan
Agassi hasn't played on clay at all this year; he made a conscious decision to focus on grass and hard courts. He probably won't retire very soon because he's trying to raise money for his school, or so he says.
Agassi actually played two weeks ago, losing to 339th ranked Zimonjic in straight sets at the International Grand Prix.
Old 05-25-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go Roddick
Old 05-25-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by namja
Agassi actually played two weeks ago, losing to 339th ranked Zimonjic in straight sets at the International Grand Prix.
I know that, and I knew somebody would bring that up... But he hasn't played the clay court circuit at all. That tourney was, I believe, his first in a while.
Old 05-26-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Obviously not in top form so I'm not that surprised.

Henin-Hardenne shocked in second round

Unheralded Italian Tathiana Garbin posted the biggest win of her life, shocking defending Roland Garros champion and top-ranked Justine Henin-Hardenne on Wednesday. The 26-year-old Italian downed a lackluster Henin-Hardenne 7-5 6-4 in one hour and 58 minutes on Court Suzanne Lenglen.
Old 05-26-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just heard that on the radio - they said she has been recovering from a virus or something (?).
Old 05-26-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by B.A.
I just heard that on the radio - they said she has been recovering from a virus or something (?).
Something like that. They thought she had mono at first.
Old 05-26-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

espn briefly played a match between the no 15 seed and an american woman, but after the american won the particular match (and was going for the win), they cut to the roddick match and nothing was mentioned about that match. who won?
Old 05-26-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The latest score I see is:

Andy Roddick (2) vs. Olivier Mutis, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5)

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/matches

Actually... it's live on ESPN right now... Mutis serving up 5-3 in the fourth for the set.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 05-26-04 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-26-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
The latest score I see is:

Andy Roddick (2) vs. Olivier Mutis, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5)

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/matches
Or if you have access to a TV, it's on ESPN

It's 5-3 (Mutis) in the 4th set now, Mutis just broke Roddick's serve.
Old 05-26-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah... I saw that, Aftermath. I would have edited prior to your post, but I had to watch the end of that game.

For those stuck at work or something, the "IBM Realtime Scoreboard" on ESPN.com seems close. I watched the last point of the set, walked back to this room (10 seconds), and the scoreboard was updated on my screen. Much faster than Yahoo's Gamechannel in updating MLB games.

Click on the "Scores Live!" link on the main espn.com page where the little section to the right of the sunset picture shows tennis info, then use the scroll arrows to find the Roddick/Mutis match.

Just starting the fifth set!

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 05-26-04 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-26-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mutis breaks Roddick in the first game of the 5th set

Andy's in a bit of a bind.

@ Roddick complaining about Mutis' "late grunts".
Old 05-26-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Roddick's COMPLETELY collapsed. Wow. I can't remember the last time someone's broken down so much.
Old 05-26-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Put the Jello in the icebox. Up 3 breaks and serving for the win in an awfully fast 5th set.
Old 05-26-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Roddick's fighting back a bit but still down 3 games in the final set.
Old 05-26-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Au Revoir USA!
Old 05-26-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Upset #2 of the day.
Old 05-26-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Rypro 525
espn briefly played a match between the no 15 seed and an american woman, but after the american won the particular match (and was going for the win), they cut to the roddick match and nothing was mentioned about that match. who won?
American Meghan Shaughnessy beat 15th seed Sylvia Farina Elia
6-3, 3-6, 9-7
Old 05-26-04, 04:31 PM

Well, that about does it for my French Open viewing...

Hate to see the Americans bounced out so early, especially now that we could be looking at giving up our tennis dominance if Roddick doesn't become the star player that he should be.

I Hope Agassi finishes out the year. I think that if he manages to win the US Open, he'll retire. He's probably regretting taking those two years off early in his career, but then again, he was boning Brooke Shields at the time, so maybe he doesn't regret it that much
Old 05-26-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JurisIL
Well, that about does it for my French Open viewing...

Hate to see the Americans bounced out so early, especially now that we could be looking at giving up our tennis dominance if Roddick doesn't become the star player that he should be.

Umm, American men have never done that well at the French. Roddick had been bounced at least two straight years in the first round. Aside from Aggasi's win several years back, and some decent Courier runs in the early 90s, it's been a long time since American men played well in Paris (Chang's win in 1989 has been about it).

Just look at who will make the Finals and see how poor they play the rest of the year on the other surfaces. Playing on clay is a specialized talent: French, Spain and Argentina rule the surface. It's what they grew up playing on.

American men won't have that dominant #2-#4 player behind Roddick (Blake, Fish, Ginepri, Dent, etc...), but it's still a pretty solid group. 2 weeks in Paris doesn't change that.
Old 05-26-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 05-26-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by djbrown
Umm, American men have never done that well at the French. Roddick had been bounced at least two straight years in the first round. Aside from Aggasi's win several years back, and some decent Courier runs in the early 90s, it's been a long time since American men played well in Paris (Chang's win in 1989 has been about it).
Well, that is four of the last fifteen men's champions. Only one country in the world has had as many or more recent winners (Spain).

Just look at who will make the Finals and see how poor they play the rest of the year on the other surfaces. Playing on clay is a specialized talent: French, Spain and Argentina rule the surface. It's what they grew up playing on.
Well, the French don't rule the surface at Roland Garos. Last French men's champ was Yannick Noah in '83. Might as well add Brazil to the list since Guga won 3 of the last 7.

American men won't have that dominant #2-#4 player behind Roddick (Blake, Fish, Ginepri, Dent, etc...), but it's still a pretty solid group. 2 weeks in Paris doesn't change that.
No arguing there. There is always a lotta hype but not a lot of payoff with US tennis in the past several years. I was recalling how much hype there was about Ashley Harkleroad back a few years ago when I saw how bad she got trounced today in Paris.
Old 05-27-04, 12:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

Checking the WTA site, I discovered the coolest tennis name ever: Anna Smashnova-pistolesi.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.