Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Kerry Collins to the Raiders

Old 05-23-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kerry Collins to the Raiders

News from ESPNEWS...Len Pasquerwhatever reports that he will sign with the Raiders...
Old 05-24-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What an odd fit.
Old 05-24-04, 12:48 AM
Premium Member

It was posted here Saturday morn. Makes sense for the long ball type of offense that Al wants, but still, pretty surprising. G'by Gannon.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...95#post4915295

PS: I thought Al only signed old Cowboys players.. what's up?
Old 05-24-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It would be a good fit for Collins..... he might actually have a good offensive line there..

but still.... he might end up with 200 interceptions this year...
Old 05-24-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems like a reasonable move for him. Makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 05-24-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Raiders team spokesperson is saying that it's premature to say that Collins is going to sign, so maybe the deal's not done yet.
Old 05-24-04, 01:19 PM
Retired

Should be good.

From what I've read, a lot of Gannon's deep throws have been falling short in workout so far. He never had much arm strength, and thus isn't really suited for the long ball offense Davis and Turner want.
Old 05-24-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Gannon's smart, he'll restructure and try to keep his job. If not, and they release him, he'll find the same non-existent market that Collins found...
Old 05-24-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome to TB Rich Gannon.

I think that if Gannon does leave, Tim Brown and Jerry Rice may call it a career.
Old 05-25-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by DVD Josh
Welcome to TB Rich Gannon.

If I am Brad Johnson and the Bucs sign Gannon, I have to wonder what in the world I have to do to earn Chucky's respect. Here is a guy who has completed 62% of his passes and has almost a 2:1 TD/INT ratio in the last 2 years. Oh yeah, he also has a little thing called a Super Bowl ring.

If Brad Johnson ends up in Baltimore, the Ravens could end up the biggest winners in all of this.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-25-04 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-25-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why would TB relese Brad when they could trade him? Am I missing something?

Shadow
Old 05-25-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by shadowhawk2020
Why would TB relese Brad when they could trade him? Am I missing something?

Shadow

If he has a decent size cap number (which I assume he does), it makes it almost impossible to trade him particularly at this juncture in the offseason.
Old 05-25-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not only that, few teams are looking for a QB at this point in the offseason. Not to say Johnson wouldn't be an upgrade to some teams, but most teams are commited to a QB, right or wrong.
Old 05-25-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are the Raiders trying to sign as many vets as the Redskins? I think Collins will be a decent back-up as will that sorry fat-arced William Perry wanna-be. But I just don't see how some of these signings are going to make them a better team. At least the Redskins are trying to win it all this year or next and the Eagles and Giants addressed their key areas. But look at the Raiders and one can only say WTF?
Old 05-26-04, 12:55 PM
Retired

I read yesterday evening (or saw on ESPN News, can't remember which) that Turner said Gannon is the starter and Collins will be the back up.

I figured Gannon was as good as gone.
Old 05-26-04, 12:58 PM
Retired

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
But I just don't see how some of these signings are going to make them a better team.
The Raider's are one year removed from the super bowl. Their main problems last year where not being able to run or protect the quarterback, crappy run D and crappy back up QBs, which was all compounded by injury.

Thus they drafted the 2 best offensive linemen in the draft to address the run game and protect the QB, signed Sapp and Washington to plug the middle and aid the run D, and got Collins to back up Gannon, or take over if he plays crappy.

Thus the addressed all their main needs. I don't see what doesn't make sense about it.

If they remain healthy, and don't have the chemistry problems they had under Callahan, they could well contend for the title again IMO and should at worst at least make the playoffs.
Old 05-28-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Collins will make an adequate backup to Gannon, which they haven't had for years. For that I'm happy. I do however want Norv and Al to stick with Gannon as the starter, I just can't see Collins running that offense at this time and I feel this would be the last year for Gannon, Rice, and Brown anyway.

If Gannon goes, I would be shocked if he would play for Gruden again.
Old 05-28-04, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Are the Raiders trying to sign as many vets as the Redskins? I think Collins will be a decent back-up as will that sorry fat-arced William Perry wanna-be. But I just don't see how some of these signings are going to make them a better team. At least the Redskins are trying to win it all this year or next and the Eagles and Giants addressed their key areas. But look at the Raiders and one can only say WTF?
True, True. The Raiders made the mistake of signing big name guys. Which usually means the teams that had them, didn't want them. And it usually also means those players are on the decline. Which means overpaying and a overall bad situation.

I'll admire Oakland trying to win, and I suspect they will improve on the 2003 win total, but otherwise I still expect them to generally suck. I mean you dump Rod Coleman to throw all that money at fading Warren Sapp?

I also see no way that the Raiders keep Collins and Gannon at their current prices. Which means Gannon's gonna get cut if he doesn't take a pay cut.