Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Anyone in AAA or know anyone in the minors?

Old 05-22-04, 05:05 PM

Anyone in AAA or know anyone in the minors?

Any DVDtalkers out there playing Triple A baseball right now, or know anyone in the minor leagues?
Old 05-22-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I know a guy that used to play in the minors. He got fed up with the schedule and other stuff that goes along with it. He was in the Marlins system, and is good friends with alot of the pitching talent.
Old 05-22-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jalal Leach with the Giants. My mom was friends with his mom. He was aquired by the Cubs AAA earlier this year. He was called up during the end of the 2001 season and played a few games with SF. Career minor leager at 35.

David Baine with the Giants in 1995. The son of my HS coach, he didn't get invited to spring training one day, the coach got the word and threw his fungo across the diamond into the backstop.
Old 05-22-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk God

my dad was in the red's minors
got called up to the bigs a couple days before he was drafted for vietnam

(i believe that would have been around the time of the big red machine)
Old 05-22-04, 06:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I went to high school with Jeff Duncan who was playing with the Mets. He left school after his Jr year becasue he got thrown off the baseball team after he was caught drinking in the parking lot at a school event

One of the girl's that works in my mom's office has a boyfriend in the Cubs system.
Old 05-22-04, 06:18 PM

Jeff Allison, in one of the Marlins organizations. Just got drafted last year, was the national highschool player of the year for going 7-0 (Maybe 8-0, don't remember well), with a 0.00 ERA and somewhere near 160 K's in 60ish innings. (Not too good with memory). He recently walked out of the camp, and got put on a restricted list, where the Marlins don't have to pay him.

He's from my hometown and I played against him when I was ten and he was twelve. He was throwing in the low 80s at that time, I believe.
Old 05-22-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to high school and graduated with Conor Jackson.

He was picked 19th overall by the Diamondbacks in 2003. Also named MVP of the Northwestern League (Single A) last fall.

3rd team All-American while at Cal and 2 straight All-Pac 10 Honors.

Also played with Team USA in 2003 I believe.

One of the top 3rd base prospects in the game.
Old 05-22-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk God

semi related.... my brother just signed a full scholarship to play college ball
Old 05-22-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll bet there are a number of DVDtalkers in AA.

A guy from my high school made it to the bigs. Duckworth, who I believe is with the Astros now. That'd be pretty damn_cool to be a young pitcher on a team with Clemens.
Old 05-22-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best I can say is that I went to school at Rice University. Since it's a pretty small school (around 2500 undergrad at the time), you do get to meet and see the players if you want. Some of the bigger names include Lance Berkman, Matt Anderson, Bubba Crosby, Mario Ramos, Kenny Baugh and so forth. Only Berkman has really made a last stay in the majors, although others have had their cup of coffee.
Old 05-22-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I used to work with a girl whose brother played for the Round Rock Express. They aren't AAA but it's still minor league.
Old 05-23-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My little league coach spent some years in the minors....till that bastard Hal Morris ended his career.

He had spent some time in the Cubs minor league system (among others) so we had a few of the Cubs of the era come watch us practice. I still have my autographed Shawn Dunston baseball card.
Old 05-23-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The high school baseball team coach played for the Yankees. He was a bullpen catcher. Won a ring with them in 78 i believe.
Old 05-23-04, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
semi related.... my brother just signed a full scholarship to play college ball
He signed with Bama, I hope

Old 05-23-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of my best friend's older brother was a catcher in the ChiSox organization in the early '90s. I believe he made it to AAA before his knees went to shit. He could hit the ball a mile and then some.

I know a guy a few years younger than me that was drafted by the Reds and got a nice signing bonus. He only lasted a few years before his arm was "done" in his opinion. I don't think he had the drive or determination to keep trying through his arm troubles.