Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Please, Donít Phone Home During the Game

Old 05-22-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It Only Makes You Look Silly on TV
By RICHARD JUSTICE, AOL Exclusive

Fans talking on their cell phones at pro sporting events has become an increasingly annoying problem.

Do me a favor. Next time youíre at a big league baseball game, put your cell phone away.

Put it in your pocket or purse. Turn it off, silence it, do whatever it is you need to do. If you receive a call, return it later, or say something like, ďMay I call you back?Ē

Just please donít spend the night with it glued to your ear. Because let me tell you something and this is just between us friends, so donít take it the wrong way.

You look like an idiot.

And if youíve got one of those great seats behind home plate, you really look stupid.

Youíre also annoying everyone around you, not that you would care much about that.

Someone once told a football player who scored a touchdown and celebrated a bit too much to act like heíd been there before.

Thatís the way it is with cell phones and baseball games. If you find yourself in a good seat, donít start calling all your friends and telling them to turn on your television sets to see you.

Act like youíve been there before.

Act like youíre half interested in the game.

Act like youíre paying attention.

I first noticed cell phones at baseball games when Oriole Park at Camden Yards opened in 1992.

Longtime Oriole season-ticket holders began pointing out how annoying it was that dozens of fans in the best seats -- and they hadnít seen these people before -- were spending large portions of games chatting on cell phones.

They quickly realized these were Washingtonians whoíd followed George F. Will and other real fans up I-95 and adopted the Orioles as their team.

Actually, they hadnít.

Theyíd only read the glowing reviews of Camden Yards. Theyíd heard how it was from another era of ballparks and that an evening there could be enchanting. They heard Orioles season tickets would be good for business.

Political careers are enhanced by showing how tuned into the rhythm of America you are.

So many people wrote so many wonderful things about Camden Yards that Washingtonians began to buy tickets in larger and larger numbers. Even though they couldnít pick an Oriole other than Cal Ripken out of a lineup and even though they actually thought the whole thing was a bit boring, they came and came and came.

The locals resented the heck out of it.

They saw all these nitwits in their polo shirts and dock shoes and wondered why theyíd invaded Charm City. Now the craze has caught on in other places, and you can hardly watch a game without seeing some goofball sitting behind home plate holding a cell phone and waving.

Do me a favor.

Stop it.
Old 05-22-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 05-22-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Moving to sports forum

I don't mind if people use these when they're not in their seats. But it is annoying when it's the person in front of you who isn't paying attention to the game and, of course, they have to be screaming on the phone because, well... stadiums are loud.

If it's a quick call to say "Yeah, I'm at the game, I'll call you back in a few" then I could care less. But entire conversations are kinda annoying.

Not the end of the world though... it's not like you're in a movie. It's not much different that talking to the person next to you (nothing wrong with that of course) except for the volume and the "what? sorry... I can barely hear you!"
Old 05-22-04, 01:15 PM
Banned

Old 05-22-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 05-22-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

its pretty damn annoying
but its their prerogative
although deep inside, I'm waiting for a foul ball to smack them in the head while they are busy chatting away
Old 05-22-04, 01:49 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't forget to wear your white shirt and fedora to the game too. Like they did in the golden era, before cell phones.
Old 05-22-04, 04:36 PM

i would like to see the play by play guys use those on screen pens to draw arrows stating look at the idiot.
Old 05-22-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-22-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Look at me. I spent $200 for this ticket behind home plate and I'm calling my friend in Arizona.

Can you see me now?

Old 05-22-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Yeah, those cell-phone users are really annoying!" said the shirtless fat man in body paint.
Old 05-22-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

there are way more things i find annoying at sporting events than cel phones.
Old 05-23-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The best one I ever saw. I had a niece and nephew getting baptized along with a few other kids we didn't know. In the middle of the baptism, one of other kids parents' phone rings. He steps right off the alter and goes outside to answer it. He leaves several families waiting for him. His wife was livid and I didn't blame her. He was just taking a call from a buddy and didn't see what the problem was. IDIOT
Old 05-23-04, 05:37 PM
Stealth Moderator

Moved. From the Other Forum.
Old 05-23-04, 08:23 PM
Banned

To Richard Justice,
Re:Your article regarding cell phones and baseball games.

Do me a favor.

Go **** yourself.

There's enough real problems in this day and age without whiney sport columnist morons bitching about the most inane shit they can think of.

Furthermore, if you feel like you can't stand to watch people talk on the cell phone, then don't look. If somebody is sitting near you and annoying you, grow a pair and ask them to stop. If they don't, then hit 'em. If you're not willing to punch a man for being a jerk, then frankly, you're not morally committed to your cause enough to earn the right to complain about it in a whining fashion either.

Here's the deal: Cellphones exist and people use them. And going to a baseball game is less about the game than it is about the experience anyway. If you really gave a shit about the game, you wouldn't be there, you'd be watching it at home where you can actually pay attention to the game instead of the drunks in the audience (which is, in fact, the entire audience because baseball is the most boring ****ing spectactor sport on the planet, with the exception of golf).

These people paid for these seats. They're free to ignore the game and drink themselves stupid if they want, and that's what the vast majority of people at baseball games are actually doing, if you haven't noticed. Nobody at the game actually ****ing cares about baseball. Nobody has for *DECADES*. Ever wonder why attendance didn't really change too much after the big baseball strike several years back? Because nobody gave a shit about the game, the team, the park, any of that crap. It's mostly about the booze and the party. Who's playing is largely irrelevant, much less who's winning.

If it's that important to you, then do something about it. Stop your worthless and useless goddamn whining, grow some cajones, and kick some ass if you feel like you're justified in doing so. If you're not willing to do something about it, then don't bitch about it either.

So really, do me a favor.

Shut the **** up already.
Old 05-23-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Otto
To Richard Justice,

Do me a favor.

Go **** yourself.

There's enough real problems in this day and age without whiney sport columnist morons bitching about the most inane shit they can think of.

Furthermore, if you feel like you can't stand to watch people talk on the cell phone, then don't look. If somebody is sitting near you and annoying you, grow a pair and ask them to stop. If they don't, then hit 'em. If you're not willing to punch a man for being a jerk, then frankly, you're not morally committed to your cause enough to earn the right to complain about it in a whining fashion either.

Here's the deal: Cellphones exist and people use them. And going to a baseball game is less about the game than it is about the experience anyway. If you really gave a shit about the game, you wouldn't be there, you'd be watching it at home where you can actually pay attention to the game instead of the drunks in the audience (which is, in fact, the entire audience because baseball is the most boring ****ing spectactor sport on the planet, with the exception of golf).

These people paid for these seats. They're free to ignore the game and drink themselves stupid if they want, and that's what the vast majority of people at baseball games are actually doing, if you haven't noticed. Nobody at the game actually ****ing cares about baseball. Nobody has for *DECADES*. Ever wonder why attendance didn't really change too much after the big baseball strike several years back? Because nobody gave a shit about the game, the team, the park, any of that crap. It's mostly about the booze and the party. Who's playing is largely irrelevant, much less who's winning.

If it's that important to you, then do something about it. Stop your worthless and useless goddamn whining, grow some cajones, and kick some ass if you feel like you're justified in doing so. If you're not willing to do something about it, then don't bitch about it either.

Well said and that's exactly why I go to the games, to drink, have fun, and make *ss oh and maybe to enjoy who is playing as well.

-go
Old 05-23-04, 10:02 PM
Stealth Moderator

Hmmmm ... coupla non-baseball fans criticizing baseball fans. Maybe that's why YOU would go to baseball games, to talk on cell phones, to get drunk, to make an ass of yourselves. Doesn't mean that it's appropriate.
Old 05-23-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no problem with it. They are on TV. Why not wave to the camera.
Old 05-23-04, 10:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by namja
Hmmmm ... coupla non-baseball fans criticizing baseball fans. Maybe that's why YOU would go to baseball games, to talk on cell phones, to get drunk, to make an ass of yourselves. Doesn't mean that it's appropriate.

How is it inappropriate? *Everybody* at the game is doing this. I've never been to a baseball game and ever seen anybody who actually cares about the game, at least not to any great degree. The whole point of being at the game is to have fun. It's a festive atmosphere. Enjoy it.

If all you care about is the game, then why go? You can see the game on TV for free.
Old 05-23-04, 10:44 PM
Stealth Moderator

If all you care about is the game, then why go? You can see the game on TV for free.
Spoken like a true non-baseball fan.
Old 05-23-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never been to a baseball game and ever seen anybody who actually cares about the game, at least not to any great degree.

Where the hell do you watch baseball games at?

If all you care about is the "festive" atmosphere - go to the bar, save your money and watch the game you don't care about on a damn tv.
Old 05-24-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To Richard Justice,

Do me a favor.

Go **** yourself.

Please do me a favor

Never attend a baseball game.

Go ahead and blast the columnist. However calling every baseball fan, including myself, a drunk is a bit too much. Even in Milwaukee where we like to drink heavily, the vast MAJORITY of people that go to a baseball games are there to watch the game. So please don't attend a baseball game again because nobody wants a sit next to a drunken, ignorant, obnoxious ass. And if by some chance I'm sitting next to you at a game don't worry I'm quite willing to punch a man for being a jerk.

Last edited by BrewCrew; 05-24-04 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-24-04, 01:32 AM
Banned

Originally posted by B.A.
Where the hell do you watch baseball games at?

If all you care about is the "festive" atmosphere - go to the bar, save your money and watch the game you don't care about on a damn tv.
I've been to baseball games all across North America, and like I said, I've never seen anybody all that interested in the game. 95% of the time there's nothing happening out there on the field. When something does actually happen, everybody pays attention for the 30 seconds it takes for the play to occur, then they cheer a bit, and then go back to whatever was occupying them before.

BrewCrew: Thanks, but I've been attending baseball games all my life, and I'll continue to do so. And go ahead and try with that punch if you think I'm being a jerk. Watch out for the surprise when you get your ass handed to you. Of course, I've never had any complaints about my behavior before, so somehow I think you're reading into my post something that isn't actually there. This guy was complaining about people using cell phones at a baseball game. Would you hit a man for that? I wouldn't, but then I don't complain about it either. Maybe it's because I'm sane and don't find that sort of thing annoying. It's a friggin' baseball game.

namja: I'm not a fan of most any sport, actually. But this is beside the point... If you go to a baseball game and expect people there to actually give a shit about the actual game, then you're delusional in some fashion. That's all I'm saying.
Old 05-24-04, 02:30 AM

To Richard Justice,

Do me a favor.

Go **** yourself.

I think when you say "Baseball Game" you actually mean frat party. Maybe you were misinformed?
Old 05-24-04, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why is this so mutually exclusive in people's minds? I for one don't even carry my cell phone when its not needed and I definately wouldn't answer it unless it was from my wife or I was expecting another party to meet up with me.

As for enjoying the game, yelling, drinking beer, soda, eating, cheering, doing the wave, enjoying the smells, watching the game, etc. Why can't they all take place at the same time?

1/2 the fun of actually going through all the trouble of getting to the park is to see the other people.

Its all part of the experience, each piece.

-go

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.