Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Planning a trip to US Cellular Field

Old 05-20-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Planning a trip to US Cellular Field

We are heading up Memorial Day weekend for Angels/White Sox. Is the ballpark in a good or bad neighborhood? Any good places to stay? What else should we hit? Give me the lowdown!
Old 05-20-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm just waiting for the chorus' of "you'll be lucky to get out alive" to start.

But really the ballpark is situated between a working class neighborhood and low income housing projects. The park itself and the surrounding areas are beyond safe on game days. And though North Side fans are loathe to admit this, once you get inside, the park boasts many more amenities than Wrigley, like a bathroom ratio better than 40,000 to 1 (hehe).

Plenty of parking around too.....bad part, there's not a whole lot to do right around the park.
Old 05-20-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am from backwoods Kentucky so the view I have of Chicago is quite scary.
Old 05-20-04, 10:34 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

The highway is the dividing line. The side the ballpark is on is very safe and most of the security around the park are off duty Chicago cops.

The other side is not a part of town you want to spend a lot of time in. The ballpark has been gone under a lot of renovation inside and is really nice now despite what you hear from Cub fans.
Old 05-20-04, 11:07 PM
Banned

Let's just say i've been to many W-sox games and i've been to many scrubs games. I feel safer at US Cellular. Make sure you get there early so you can walk around the main concourse.
Old 05-21-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is a misperception that because Wrigley is in a more "middle-class" and white neighborhood that it's safer than the Cell. Well guess what, wasn't it outside of Wrigley that someone got shot and killed a couple weeks ago? You'll be fine: the residents aren't thinking about you.

Just a few tips: the souvenir shops on the lower levels are much better than the ones on the upper levels.

If the weather is decent, be sure to give the showers a go round (section 158).

If you have little ones, or even if you don't, check out the Fundamentals section near gate 3. You can test your pitch speed and stuff like that.

Personally, I think U.S. Cellular has the best hot dogs around but you should buy them from the polish sausage vendors because they'll add grilled onions and green peppers to your dog.

As for places to stay there aren't any hotels on the south side of the city. You would be well served to stay downtown and take the el to and from the park (the red line stops right across the street and you don't have to deal with the horrid traffic getting to and from the park).
Old 05-21-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We are looking at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place. Anyone have any experiences?
Old 05-21-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Demontooth
We are looking at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place. Anyone have any experiences?
It's a fairly new hotel (built in the last few years) and I hear it's very nice. The red line doesn't stop there so you'll have to drive to the park. The good news is hotel is right off Lake Shore Drive which does provide relatively easy access to the park.
Old 05-21-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would still take a cab to the El (Subway) and just take the red line to 35th/Sox stop. Driving down there isn't too hard, but for a non Chicago resident, you don't have much room for error, because you can land up in a piece of shit neighborhood quick

DO NOT CROSS THE HIGHWAY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

The neighborhood on the U.S. Cellular side is still pretty much a dump, but at least its not dangerous like the projects.

Look, the problem with U.S. Cellular is that it is an ugly stadium in a non-existent neighborhood.

There a few bars a few blocks north of the stadium, not that exciting.
Old 05-21-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let's just say i've been to many W-sox games and i've been to many scrubs games. I feel safer at US Cellular.
Right. Maybe inside the stadium you feel safer, but not on the outside.
Old 05-21-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Hope you're not sitting in the upper deck. It is so steep, you'll get vertigo.

I didn't even realize that Comiskey was called US Cellular Field until I clicked the thread.
Old 05-21-04, 01:15 PM
Stealth Moderator

Everyone has given excellent input. A few things I'd like to emphasize:

(1) Especially during game time, the area surrounding US Cellular Field is pretty safe. No need to really worry about that. If you're driving, get off the freeway and go directly to the stadium (it's right off the I-94 freeway). And when you leave, go directly onto the freeway. If you wander away from the stadium, then ... good luck.
(2) Take the cab to the el if you can. It's much easier and safer this way.
(3) Upper deck is indeed very steep. I've never sat up there, but I walked up there once to see what the fuss was all about. It's a bit scary, but if you're the type of a person who enjoys rock climbing, then you'll be fine.
(4) Is there a reason why you're staying at the Hyatt McCormick Place? Also consider Park Hyatt on North Michigan Ave which is close to a lot of shopping, restaurants, museums, Grant Park, the Lake, Navy Pier, etc.
Old 05-21-04, 01:33 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

They removed part of the upperdeck during the offseason so it's not as bad as it was. It's actually not a bad spot to watch the game if you're sitting in the first couple of rows.
Old 05-21-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There was no particular reason why we were staying there, it just came up first when I searched Expedia and it looked nice, plus it said it was about 2 miles from the ballpark. I will look into the Park Hyatt on North Michigan Avenue.

Last edited by Demontooth; 05-21-04 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-22-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would suggest another hotel..near the El. Tons of hotels near Michigan.
Old 06-01-04, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey Demontooth, I was just wondering how your trip went?
Old 06-01-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hope you had a good time....story about the area...

Reminds me of my last job...my work buddy and I would go to the Sox games and he would drive... note: he was black and I white.

He never parked in the lot always on the street...IN THE PROJECTS...everytime we went under the railroad tracks because of looking around (or whatever reason) he was scared out of his mind.

The first time this happened I asked what was the matter and why not park over around there ... he would say he would get killed in the part of town...I replied that was how I felt when he parked on the projects side Of course I never got my way.

Never had a problem at Sox park...and I think there are more incidents at Wrigley, from an article I read a couple of years ago, than at Sox Park.
Old 06-02-04, 04:01 AM
Stealth Moderator

Yeah, let's hope he didn't get lost ...
Old 06-02-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nope, didn't get lost, we ended up finding out our loan was approved for the house we are planning on building that Friday so we decided to stick around and paint a few rooms and save the money for the new carpet we are going to put in our present house.
Old 06-02-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Demontooth
I am from backwoods Kentucky so the view I have of Chicago is quite scary.
This made me think of Patrick Swayze's "great" flick Next of Kin.

I was very, very close to going to school in that neighborhood - at IIT. What's funny is that it wasn't the neighborhood that scared me away - it was the last two years of the architecture curriculum.

Last edited by B.A.; 06-02-04 at 08:43 AM.