DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   Seriously...what do the Kings do now? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/365288-seriously-what-do-kings-do-now.html)

Kaiser Soze 05-20-04 01:13 PM

Seriously...what do the Kings do now?

And Lakers fans, please refrain from the obvious. But seriously, what do they do? I know I'm not the only Kings fan on this board. Trade Webber? Go after some better role players who can keep their cool in the big games? Get some guys who can actually step it up when everything is on the line? Hopefully Vlade will retire. I think Miller worked out well this year. I don't think they should get rid of any key guys, but they obviously have to do something. It's the same thing every year. Did the team do something bad in a previous life to warrant all of these heart-breaking losses in the playoffs?

darkside 05-20-04 01:45 PM

I'm wondering the same things about the Spurs.

Is the problem with Webber or just the fact he wasn't fully recovered from his knee injury? I'm thinking Vlade won't be back so keeping Webber will probably be a must. The hope will be he gets more of his mobility back for next season. If he is 100% and Bobby Jackson recovers the Kings will be one of the top teams in the league again.

The Spurs have a tough summer as well. A lot of their key players including Duncan are playing in the olympics which puts some doubt into how ready they will be for for next season, at least according to Popavich. Some of their role players like Hedo and Horry completely fell apart in the Lakers series and because of Horry, Malik Rose is probably gone this summer.

I'm betting the Spurs and Kings keep most of their team together and just try to add a couple of more bench players. The Spurs will probably spend the summer finding a three point shooter that can actually hit one in the playoffs.

Deadpool 05-20-04 01:49 PM

Although I would disagree with this, I think they may look to another coach :( I like Adelman, thought he got a raw deal in Portland and may get another scapegoat label put on him this time around in Sacramento.

Aphex Twin 05-20-04 01:57 PM

McGrady has mentioned he would accept trade to San Antonio. SA is under the cap and do not have to offer the same value salaries in return. Thing is, they don't really have anyone they can send to Orlando. Perhaps Parker, Rose, and a 1st and 2nd rounder (which would be low picks anyways), but I'm sure Orlando would get better offers for TMAC.

Roto 05-20-04 02:01 PM

Depends what they could get, but considering how well Brad Miller filled in for Webber, trading Webber looks like a pretty obvious move. They completely tanked when he first came back.

Jericho 05-20-04 02:27 PM

Well let's face facts here, the Kings and the Spurs are very good teams. Top 5 in the league. Simply because a team doesn't win it all, does not make them failures. There's no need to make sweeping changes simply because a team doesn't win the NBA trophy.

You also have to look at the nature of the NBA. This isn't football or baseball. The games are dominated by a few elite guys. Either you have them or you don't. The Kings and Spurs aren't going to pick up elite players in the draft, nor will they likely be available in free agency. Obviously trades are possible, but it's unlikely one can make a deal for a superstar. I see no reason for the Kings to dump Webber. How would that make them better?

The simple fact is, stud players win championships. Jordan. Duncan. Shaq. Olajuwon. That accounts for every title in the last 13 years. Without a superstar player like that, the Kings will never be favorites, no matter how much talent they acquire. My suggestion is to ride out what they have and hope things go differently next year. Kobe might not be bad in LA, Shaq's health and motivation is always a question mark, and the Kings were one shot away from beating the T-wolves. Maybe with a little luck, the Kings will win it all next year.

kneijst1 05-20-04 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Roto
Depends what they could get, but considering how well Brad Miller filled in for Webber, trading Webber looks like a pretty obvious move. They completely tanked when he first came back.
Isn't Miller a center though and Webber a PF? I haven't been following the Kings too closely this year but what's wrong with starting these 2, plus Christie, Bibby + Peja? That's not a bad lineup (saying that Webber is healthy).

I also agree that what they need is more bench help, either through FA or through the draft(which considering this draft, probably wont happen but ya never know).

das Monkey 05-20-04 02:44 PM

Health is really their only problem, and by extension, aging guys like Vlade. 2 years ago, they're an Horry miracle away from a ring, last year they lose their star player, and this year, they're once again not at full strength and have still found a way to be incredibly competitive. I don't know what more you could want from them than that. It must be heartbreaking for their fans to keep coming up short, but most teams would kill to be in their position. Hard to get much better.

das

Aphex Twin 05-20-04 02:47 PM

The Kings need Brad Miller to play center period. Vlade is gone.

~~ PAL ~~ 05-20-04 03:08 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Health is really their only problem, and by extension, aging guys like Vlade. 2 years ago, they're an Horry miracle away from a ring, last year they lose their star player, and this year, they're once again not at full strength and have still found a way to be incredibly competitive. I don't know what more you could want from them than that. It must be heartbreaking for their fans to keep coming up short, but most teams would kill to be in their position. Hard to get much better.

das

They can try to play better D.

Daryl 05-20-04 04:35 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Health is really their only problem, and by extension, aging guys like Vlade.
The problem is, when you are talking about CheatWebb, you are constantly saying "if only he had been healthy". He's been in the league 11 years, and only played without a significant injury in 5 of those years. He's always been lazy on defense, but this year he looked like an 80 year old man getting back on D. He used to be explosive, but he's had so many knee, ankle, and shoulder injuries, I can't see getting truly back to his old form.

Maxwell Smart 05-20-04 04:56 PM

Maybe if their fans stopped throwing crap on the court after games they might get some bounces their way.

damn_skippy 05-20-04 05:37 PM

Watch the Lakers play the T'wolves.

MJKTool 05-20-04 05:42 PM

Originally posted by damn_skippy
Watch the Lakers play the T'wolves.
:lol:

"They know the feeling"!!

fumanstan 05-20-04 05:48 PM

I don't think they should change anything. They've been *this* close the last 3 years. A bit of luck their way and they easily could have been in the NBA Finals each of those years. Now is not the time to try and bring in major pieces. A few new fresh roleplayers keeps the Kings contending for a few more years.

El Scorcho 05-20-04 05:57 PM

I just came in this thread to make a "Doug Christie is pus*ywhipped" joke.

But then I realized I got nothing.

MJKTool 05-20-04 06:08 PM

You got nothing because all you are doing is stating the obvious.

nickdawgy 05-20-04 06:22 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
You got nothing because all you are doing is stating the obvious.
At least he didn't come here to make a Kobe joke.

DaveNinja 05-20-04 06:52 PM

The Kings of the last few years are like the A's of the last few years; they make it to the play offs and fail to win in game 7.

Weber is a choker at those last minute shots. Anyone but him should have tried to get open to make the shot.

They need to stay the same and hope next year things go better in the play offs.

SnoopDogg 05-20-04 06:54 PM

Trade Peja, he is a choker...

Autotelik 05-20-04 07:23 PM

They need to do nothing- except work on the D a little.

Seriously, the injuries have played a huge factor. Towards the end of this season, the injuries brought them down from the No. 1 to the No.4 seed, and without significant backup (Jackson out, and Peeler suspended), it won't work. I'll say that Sacramento needs the number 1 seed in the west to have a REALLY GOOD chance of making the finals, since they're so strong at home, but if they don't get home court throughout, they still have a decent chance (just not as good), as we saw in the last two years. I really think all the key ingredients are there. They just have to stay healthy. Everyone contributed greatly at one time or another- it's too easy to blame any single player for a poor performance in a losing game. You all say Peja is a pile of shit now, but he's the friggin 2nd leading scorer in the league this season, and brought Sacramento to an awesome regular season record. Brad Miller also did well in the reg. season, but both he and Peja fell short against Minnesota. Sometimes players have off-days- sure they lost because not everyone performed well, but that's the friggin way it goes. Look at the Lakers- where the hell did they end up when Malone was out, or when Shaq was out, etc. They're very fortunate that everyone is good and healthy right now.

Sacramento just needs to plough on and hope for the best next year again. And I wouldn't blame Webber for losing the game with a missed shot. The shot looked very good, and sometimes, it's just as good to have the open guy shoot the last shot than forcing Bibby or Christie shoot it while double or triple teamed.

fumanstan 05-20-04 08:53 PM

Yup, injuries have killed the Kings. If Webber doesn't go down last season against Dallas, that would have been the Kings taking that series. If the Kings had Bobby Jackson this year, no way does Sam Cassell have the series that he did.

Gallant Pig 05-20-04 09:06 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
Yup, injuries have killed the Kings. If Webber doesn't go down last season against Dallas, that would have been the Kings taking that series. If the Kings had Bobby Jackson this year, no way does Sam Cassell have the series that he did.
If you want to talk injuries and whatifs, you should then put a healthy Troy Hudson and Wally World in there also which would have nuetralized a healthy BJ.

db27 05-20-04 10:02 PM

I think you move webber and try and get a couple bench guys. Divac is done in all fairness and Miller will be full time center. Look for a good PF/C and a guard in return from Webber.

tofu 05-20-04 10:18 PM

The Kings need to take a year off and hope that they can get their guys healthy. Another year of continuity would be great for them. And I would like to see them kept together.

I don't think they should fire Adelman. He has held the Kings together through most of their nijuries. If they fire Adelman, who are they going to go after. Byron Scott? How much confidence would the Kings have in him if JKidd doesn't even like him?