Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think that Kevin Garnett's war analogy was offensive?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-19-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just curious as to what the opinion was about it on the board.

I don't find it offensive at all. "Going to war" is an analogy that has been used in sports for years. I personally do not find it any more offensive now that I did years ago. Why weren't people upset about it 15 years ago when people were saying it? It isn't like the Iraq war is the first war in which real soldiers have died.

I was just curious about this because I was listening to sports radio and some vets called in and said that it wasn't offensive to them at all.

I personally think that it is mostly the media blowing it out of proportion looking for a story.

To Garnett's credit though, his apology was very sincere, and he did say that he was in the wrong.
Old 05-19-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not offensive, just stupid.
Old 05-19-04, 11:44 PM
Banned

I didn't find it "offensive" but I did find it extremely stupid. Did he actually say he had "clips" for his "joints"?

What a dumb ass.
Old 05-19-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He just sounded like he was from the projects when he said that.

Idiotic, but not offensive.
Old 05-19-04, 11:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

Non-story.

Mole Hill -> Mountain
Old 05-19-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Don't follow water polo too much, but was this about the guy that was going down a grocery list of all the weapons he had in preparation for the next game?
Old 05-20-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It wasn't offensive just really stupid...by the way, did he have to name about 12 different weapons? Geez, seems like he was making a list.
Old 05-20-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not offensive or stupid. I think anyone who takes offense by it has to pull the stick out of the butt of the stick up their butt.
Old 05-20-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Its pretty much common knowledge KG is an idiot. Non story for me.

You would think with all the soldiers dying in Iraq he would use a better analogy, but he is so self centered he probably didn't know there is even a war going on until his agent told him. Its not like the guy will even support his country by playing in the olympics much less fight a war.

I'm going to enjoy every single minute of the Lakers destroying him in the Western Conference Finals.

Last edited by darkside; 05-20-04 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-20-04, 12:15 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by darkside

You would think with all the soldiers dying in Iraq he would use a better analogy, but he is so self centered he probably doesn't know there is even a war going on.

I'm going to enjoy every single minute of the Lakers destroying him in the Western Conference Finals.
Yeah and Timmy Duncan is Albert Einstein.
Old 05-20-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You would think with all the soldiers dying in Iraq he would use a better analogy, but he is so self centered he probably doesn't know there is even a war going on.

KG's one of the most level-headed players in the league. Are you smoking something?

This incident is nowhere near as bad as Kellen Winslow's stupid little "I'm a soldier" rampage.
Old 05-20-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Yeah and Timmy Duncan is Albert Einstein.
He is actually a very intelligent man with a degree in psychology.

I know KG has a degree in thugology, but its not quite the same thing.
Old 05-20-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by El Scorcho

KG's one of the most level-headed players in the league. Are you smoking something?
Smoking something is probably what KG was doing before he made those comments. If he is one of the most level headed guys in the league its not saying much for the league.
Old 05-20-04, 12:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

He sure should have used that psychology to figure out why he had an inferiority complex while playing the Lakers.
Old 05-20-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He sure should have used that psychology to figure out why he had an inferiority complex while playing the Lakers.
You mean the Lakers he beat twice on his way to two championships. I realize KG has a lot more rings than Duncan though.
Old 05-20-04, 12:32 AM
Mod Emeritus

You mean the Lakers he beat twice on his way to two championships. I realize KG has a lot more rings than Duncan though.
Did he beat the Lakers by himself? I think having David Robinson helped a little.

Anyway KG is NOT an idiot, he plays with a high level intelligence on the court. Off the court he doesn't do stupid things either. I think this is the first time there's ever been a story about him saying something questionable hence the story.

His guns thing was a little over-board but funny.

Also do a fact check, KG played for his country in 2000 in Australia.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 05-20-04 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-20-04, 12:47 AM
Banned

Didn't he try to give some rookie a reach around during a game a couple weeks ago? Yeah, real level headed.
Old 05-20-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did he beat the Lakers by himself? I think having David Robinson helped a little.

Then he didn't lose to them by himself either which is what you seemed to be saying.
Old 05-20-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Then he didn't lose to them by himself either which is what you seemed to be saying.
It's just common courtesy to give a guy a reach around after you F him in the A. Can't fault a guy for being courteous.

Seriously though, why all the hate on Garnett. He's been a pretty model NBA for years and yet all these people hating on him now. It can't just be for a blown out of proportion comment on the analogy of war. Seems like people are trying to infer all types of stuff on him, when he's been virtually incident free for his entire career.
Old 05-20-04, 01:27 AM
Stealth Moderator

Here's the full quote:
"This is it. It's for all the marbles. I'm sitting in the house loading up the pump, I'm loading up the Uzis, I've got a couple of M-16s, couple of nines, couple of joints with some silencers on them, couple of grenades, got a missile launcher. I'm ready for war."
Anyway, I think it's less what he said and more how he said it. It sounded like he was belittling war by making a joke out of it.

I don't think it's a big deal, but a lot of people are sensitive about the war these days so ... bad timing.
Old 05-20-04, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

???

I always thought KG was one of the cleanest, most well-spoken players in the league. The guns thing was a little off, but he was just emotional & made a questionable analogy (and one that a million people have made before him, I might add).

There are plenty of thugs in the NBA, but KG isn't one of them.
Old 05-20-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wild non-sequitar alert.

I think we've officially outed "Darkside" as nothing but a hater.
Old 05-20-04, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mgbfan
???

I always thought KG was one of the cleanest, most well-spoken players in the league. The guns thing was a little off, but he was just emotional & made a questionable analogy (and one that a million people have made before him, I might add).

There are plenty of thugs in the NBA, but KG isn't one of them.
Old 05-20-04, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mgbfan
Wild non-sequitar alert.

I think we've officially outed "Darkside" as nothing but a hater.

Really. Read a little further back and see the person that really brought Duncan into the arguement. It wasn't me.

I agree Duncan had no business in the discussion. He got his college degree and could not be considered dumb or a guy that shoots off his mouth about going to war.

If Gallant Pig wanted to use a player that actually was stupid or more tempermental than KG to prove his point I could agree with him. There are plenty of guys that say dumber things and do dumber things on the court than KG. I pick on KG a bit because he does lose his temper from time to time and occasionally blurts out the silly line. I do feel the statement he made shows him as being self centered, but thats my opinion. I probably take all his chest pounding and trash talking to seriously.

Bringing Duncan into this wasn't about proving his point it was just Gallant Pig being an a-hole. I guess rubbing it in about the Spurs losing even though I picked them to lose when the series started and I'm really not too broken up about it.

KG did give an apology and life will continue to go on just fine in the Universe and plenty more soldiers will continue to die in Iraqi and Afganistan by "going to war"

I'll also be the first to admit this is not even close to the most insensitive thing ever said by an athelete. Compared to Simeon Rice's comments about Pat Tillman that came back to haunt him this is nothing to even consider.

Last edited by darkside; 05-20-04 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-20-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That comment was just ghetto ig-nunt.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.