Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB - When is a game officially over?

Old 05-19-04, 11:25 AM

MLB - When is a game officially over?

Last night Yankees at Angels. Bottom of 11th tied game, bases loaded, infield drawn in. Ball is hit over the rightfielder's head, he walks off the field letting the ball go to the fence.

So Angels win 1-0, hitter gets a single.
Is there some kind of rule that says the game is over at 1-0?

I know it would be bad sportsmanship, but could everyone round the bases and the hitter gets a grand slam and pad his stats? They try it in the NBA

Does the hitter always get credited with a single, even though it might have been a double or triple?
Old 05-19-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There was a game where the game was tied, the bases were loaded and Robin Ventura hit a ball OVER the fence for a grandslam and his teammates mobbed him between first and second and he was only credited with a single.
Old 05-19-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

(a) A regulation game consists of nine innings, unless extended because of a tie score, or shortened (1) because the home team needs none of its half of the ninth inning or only a fraction of it, or (2) because the umpire calls the game. EXCEPTION: National Association leagues may adopt a rule providing that one or both games of a doubleheader shall be seven innings in length. In such games, any of these rules applying to the ninth inning shall apply to the seventh inning. (b) If the score is tied after nine completed innings play shall continue until (1) the visiting team has scored more total runs than the home team at the end of a completed inning, or (2) the home team scores the winning run in an uncompleted inning. (c) If a game is called, it is a regulation game: (1) If five innings have been completed; (2) If the home team has scored more runs in four or four and a fraction half innings than the visiting team has scored in five completed half innings; (3) If the home team scores one or more runs in its half of the fifth inning to tie the score. (d) If each team has the same number of runs when the game ends, the umpire shall declare it a "Tie Game." (e) If a game is called before it has become a regulation game, the umpire shall declare it "No Game." (f) Rain checks will not be honored for any regulation or suspended game which has progressed to or beyond a point of play described in 4.10(c)

The score of a regulation game is the total number of runs scored by each team at the moment the game ends. (a) The game ends when the visiting team completes its half of the ninth inning if the home team is ahead. (b) The game ends when the ninth inning is completed, if the visiting team is ahead. (c) If the home team scores the winning run in its half of the ninth inning (or its half of an extra inning after a tie), the game ends immediately when the winning run is scored. EXCEPTION: If the last batter in a game hits a home run out of the playing field, the batter runner and all runners on base are permitted to score, in accordance with the base running rules, and the game ends when the batter runner touches home plate. APPROVED RULING: The batter hits a home run out of the playing field to win the game in the last half of the ninth or an extra inning, but is called out for passing a preceding runner. The game ends immediately when the winning run is scored. (d) A called game ends at the moment the umpire terminates play. EXCEPTION: If the game is called while an inning is in progress and before it is completed, the game becomes a SUSPENDED game in each of the following situations: (1) The visiting team has scored one or more runs to tie the score and the home team has not scored; (2) The visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead and the home team has not tied the score or retaken the lead. National Association Leagues may also adopt the following rules for suspended games in addition to 4.11 (d) (1) & (2) above. (If adopted by a National Association League, Rule 4.10 (c) (d) & (e) would not apply to their games.): (3) The game has not become a regulation game (4 1/2 innings with the home team ahead, or 5 innings with the visiting club ahead or tied). (4) Any regulation game tied at the point play is stopped because of weather, curfew or other reason. (5) If a game is suspended before it becomes a regulation game, and is continued prior to another regularly scheduled game, the regularly scheduled game will be limited to seven innings. (6) If a game is suspended after it is a regulation game, and is continued prior to another regularly scheduled game, the regularly scheduled game will be a nine inning game. EXCEPTION: The above sections (3), (4), (5) & (6) will not apply to the last scheduled game between the two teams during the championship season, or League Playoffs. Any suspended game not completed prior to the last scheduled game between the two teams during the championship season, will become a called game.
Old 05-19-04, 11:39 AM

chrisih8u,

Thanks for looking that up, it answers my questions.
Old 05-19-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Its times like this I'm glad I have the MLB rulebook bookmarked. The rest of the time, I feel like a giant nerd.
Old 05-19-04, 11:50 AM

Just remember that a batter CAN get something other than a single or home run in these situations.

Say you have a runner on 1st base and the batter hits one in the gap. The runner scores all the way from 1st base while the batter reaches 2nd base before the run is scored. Does the batter get a single or double? It's up to the official scorer, and the batter would probably get credited with a double because he in fact reached 2nd base before the runner touched home plate.
Old 05-19-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by chrisih8u
The rest of the time, I feel like a giant nerd.
just think about elf.. almost makes me feel like less of a nerd
Old 05-19-04, 01:10 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by DarkElf
Just remember that a batter CAN get something other than a single or home run in these situations.

Say you have a runner on 1st base and the batter hits one in the gap. The runner scores all the way from 1st base while the batter reaches 2nd base before the run is scored. Does the batter get a single or double? It's up to the official scorer, and the batter would probably get credited with a double because he in fact reached 2nd base before the runner touched home plate.
Ahhh. Something like this happened this season. Someone hit a walk-off double (and not a ground-rule double) to end the game. I always thought they had to score it as a single if it was at the bottom of last at-bat, but I guess there are exceptions.
Old 05-19-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

so..

if the bases were loaded, and a player hit a bloop single over an outfielders head
and the player at third laid down on the ground and took a nap
and the batter passed the runner at first, before the guy from third got up and touched home.. it would be an out and no run?

what if there was only 1 run.. and the player from 2nd past the player from 3rd going home.. would that be 1 out and 1 run?

Old 05-19-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
so..

if the bases were loaded, and a player hit a bloop single over an outfielders head
and the player at third laid down on the ground and took a nap
and the batter passed the runner at first, before the guy from third got up and touched home.. it would be an out and no run?

what if there was only 1 run.. and the player from 2nd past the player from 3rd going home.. would that be 1 out and 1 run?

I was thinking the same thing. Except I was thinking HR. 2 outs, Man on first, man hits a DING!, ding man passes man on first, 3 outs. Next inning I guess.
Old 05-19-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: MLB - When is a game officially over?

Originally posted by D300
I know it would be bad sportsmanship, but could everyone round the bases and the hitter gets a grand slam and pad his stats? They try it in the NBA
And they do it in Smallball!