Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Greatest Defensive Baseball Plays

Old 05-13-04, 02:48 AM

Greatest Defensive Baseball Plays

Anybody know where I could possibly download or view a collection of baseball's best defensive plays?

Any opinions on some great plays that I could perhaps search for specifically?

Some examples (Just from hearsay...I haven't seen them)

Ichiro's play a few years ago now referred to as "The Throw" (apparently he gunned down some dude going to third on a very deep fly ball and it was extremely impressive)

Jeter teleporting to a wild throw and getting the ball to the catcher in the nick of time...

Some great diving catches "Web Gems" and the like?
Old 05-13-04, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk God

google buckner
Old 05-13-04, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by twikoff
google buckner
Hmmm...that may be in the category of worst defensive plays...and I do already have a collection of baseball's best/worst brawls.
Old 05-13-04, 08:06 AM

I know the most overhyped defensive play in the history of baseball has to be Jeter's "flip" to get Jeremy Giambi out at home in the playoffs a couple of years back. Of course, pretty much everything about Derek Jeter seems to be pretty overhyped, including his slumps...

Greatest defensive play ever - Barry Bonds fields a ball in shallow left field, just beyond the dirt and fires a rocket to home plate to beat out a sliding Sid Bream to clinch a playoff series win for the Pirates. That one should be pretty easy to find a clip of, right???
Old 05-13-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk God

dont skip on Bo's flat footed bullet from the base of the wall to throw out harold reynolds (FAST AS HELL) trying to tag up and score from third
Old 05-13-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jim Edmonds back to the plate diving catch is the single greatest play ever. IMO.

And I really don't think Jeter's play was overrated. It was an amazingly clutch play with him coming out of nowhere to save the series for them.
Old 05-13-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember seeing Mark Whiten throw several people out from the right field corner in Busch. Amazing feat to see live. He could gun someone down at any spot in the infield - I even remember seeing him gun a guy out at first. It was unbelievable.
Old 05-13-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by B.A.
I remember seeing Mark Whiten throw several people out from the right field corner in Busch. Amazing feat to see live. He could gun someone down at any spot in the infield - I even remember seeing him gun a guy out at first. It was unbelievable.
Used to see that a lot in Boston, except by Dwight Evans. He woulda racked up a ton more career assists, except it got to the point that NOONE would run on Dewey.

Speaking of the Sox, one of the top outfield plays of the late '70s was Freddie Lynn backing up to the wall in IIRC Arlington, timing his jump, sticking his glove over the fence between the second and third horizontal bars atop the fence, and pulling back a HR. No diving, nothing hurried, but still a brilliant play as it appears that the ball is like 12' off the ground when he gets it in his glove.......
Old 05-13-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

google willie mayes, ken griffey jr, and andruw jones video
plenty of highlight reels there

i wonder if those collections are available through p2p
Old 05-13-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally posted by BCorbett
Greatest defensive play ever - Barry Bonds fields a ball in shallow left field, just beyond the dirt and fires a rocket to home plate to beat out a sliding Sid Bream to clinch a playoff series win for the Pirates. That one should be pretty easy to find a clip of, right???
That's a great play!!!
Old 05-13-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Also, Tinker to Evers to Chance
Old 05-13-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've always wanted to track down a clip of the HR that bounced off of Jose Canseco's melon.

Well, it was a great play that prevented the ball from causing undue wear and tear on the outfield grass/warning track ......
Old 05-13-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Kirby Puckett goes over the wall to save the 91 World Series ...
Old 05-13-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by mgbfan
or Chuck fakes out Lonnie Smith and keeps him from advancing at a very key time of the game.. that play alone could have saved the series
Old 05-13-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ichiro's throw to third was amazing since it let the whole baseball world know that he was here to stay.

Jermaine Dye was on first and there was a base hit to right through the hole. Dye tried to stretch to 3rd. Ichiro fired a bullet right at the bag to get him. THe throw couldn't have been more perfect.
Old 05-13-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was going to say the Kirby save of the home run in 91, but how about the Rob of Bonds homer in the all star game a couple years ago by Torri Hunter.
Old 05-13-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mgbfan
Good one.
Old 05-13-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Just watch the 1970 World Series to see a complete mastery of 3rd base play by Brooks Robinson.
Old 05-13-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of all these great plays, how many have been repeated? All the great throws, it sounds like they've all been done by many. The robbing of HR's, they've been done. The reason I think Edmond's catch was the best is I have NEVER seen anyone run full speed directly towards the wall, back to home plate and the ball, and go fully horizontal to make the catch. It's like Mays' famous catch with a horizontal layout thrown in. Again, I have never seen anyone else do anything like that...
Old 05-13-04, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Just watch the 1970 World Series to see a complete mastery of 3rd base play by Brooks Robinson.
Damn, beat me to it! I remember some of those plays like they were yesterday.
Old 05-13-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by LurkerDan
Of all these great plays, how many have been repeated? All the great throws, it sounds like they've all been done by many. The robbing of HR's, they've been done. The reason I think Edmond's catch was the best is I have NEVER seen anyone run full speed directly towards the wall, back to home plate and the ball, and go fully horizontal to make the catch. It's like Mays' famous catch with a horizontal layout thrown in. Again, I have never seen anyone else do anything like that...
I see your point.
Old 05-13-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you wanna see some great throws, watch the Angels this year. Jose Guillen and Vladimir Guerrero are pretty sickening.

I think somewhere in mlb.com they have old highlights. I know mlb.tv has entire game videos, but I couldn't find just clips. It used to be easy to find the clip of Ichiro's throw, but I can't find it today, just newspaper stories about it. It wasn't just because it was a perfect throw, but also that nobody was expecting it. It was the first time he got to show his arm in a major league game. Hardly anybody tries to run on him anymore because of that one play.

The best play I've seen was Griffey Jr. running into the wall, shattering his wrist while still hanging on to the ball. Not only one of his best plays, but also his first major injury.

Last edited by Roto; 05-13-04 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-13-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by LurkerDan
run full speed directly towards the wall, back to home plate and the ball, and go fully horizontal to make the catch.
So his critics are right, he makes all those diving catches because he doesn't know where the hell the ball is going to land?
Old 05-13-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Roto
So his critics are right, he makes all those diving catches because he doesn't know where the hell the ball is going to land?
Spoiler:
He meant that Edmonds' back was to home plate, not that Edmonds ran back towards home plate.
Old 05-13-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jeremy517
Spoiler:
He meant that Edmonds' back was to home plate, not that Edmonds ran back towards home plate.
I'm glad you posted that, because I didn't understand what he was talking about!