Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Political correctness takes over at Syracuse University

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-12-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yesterday, SU announced their sports teams will no longer be known as the Orangemen and Orangewomen. Instead, all the school's teams (men and women) will be known simply as "the Orange." Congratulations to all the SU alums on the forum, you are all now officially fruits.
Old 05-12-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Political correctness takes over at Syracuse University

Originally posted by scott27
Yesterday, SU announced their sports teams will no longer be known as the Orangemen and Orangewomen. Instead, all the school's teams (men and women) will be known simply as "the Orange."
I'm not sure it's policitcal correctness.

Besides, whenever sports commentators refer to the team, it's not the Orangemen, it's always the Orange. But Syracuse is my law school alma mater. So I'm biased towards the school.
Old 05-12-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least it's not Orange Storm. Stupid St. John's.
Old 05-12-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Um, yeah, it doesn't necessarily sound like political correctness. After all, what's incorrect about Orangemen and Orangewomen. If the original names were the Orangedicks and Orangetacos, I could see your point.

Do you have info as to how this is a PC move?
Old 05-13-04, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by LurkerDan
If the original names were the Orangedicks and Orangetacos, I could see your point.
Old 05-13-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't understand why they changed the logo.
Old 05-13-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went to SU and everyone always called their teams "The Orange". TV people, Students, Rivals, etc. I've allways called them "The Orange" too. I don't think it's PC, it's just going with the flow.

When I was a Sophomore, they tried to change the mascot all together, to the "orange pack" or some stupid wolf thing, which is 100000000 times worse than "The Orange".
Old 05-13-04, 09:08 AM

I'm not sure how this is political correctness?
Old 05-13-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just "Orange" sounds silly.
Old 05-13-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"We are the only school in the country that has orange as its official color. We want to accentuate that fact," director of athletics Jake Crouthamel said Tuesday at a press conference. He noted that Texas and Tennessee have a substantial amount of white to go with the orange in their uniforms.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=1799808

Um, what about Illinois?

Old 05-13-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and yeah, those tennessee jersey's have hardly any orange in them at all!

Old 05-13-04, 05:43 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by huh?

When I was a Sophomore, they tried to change the mascot all together, to the "orange pack" or some stupid wolf thing, which is 100000000 times worse than "The Orange".
Still beats the orangutan and troll they wanted 10-15 years before that.

Kind of sad that it took 2 years to come up with

...but it's Nike and Syracuse, so I guess we should be happy they spelled SU correctly.
Old 05-14-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is it just me or does that new logo look just like Oklahoma's?

Old 05-14-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just curious. Can someone explain the political correctness aspect of this change?
Old 05-14-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Meatpants
Is it just me or does that new logo look just like Oklahoma's?

OMG it does,
Old 05-14-04, 02:53 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Just curious. Can someone explain the political correctness aspect of this change?
I'm guessing it's that Orangemen offended Indians (or PC blow hards said it did) just like with the St. Johns Redmen or whatever they used to be called, and the groups that bitch about the Redskins.
Old 05-14-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always thought Orangemen was a reference to the Irish Protestants. It made me chuckle to think that Raghib Ismail was playing for the Fighting Irish Catholics and his brother Qadry was with the Fighting Irish Protestants. Useless fact of the day: both were raised as Muslims and converted to Christianity later as adults.

das
Old 05-14-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm guessing it's that Orangemen offended Indians (or PC blow hards said it did) just like with the St. Johns Redmen or whatever they used to be called, and the groups that bitch about the Redskins.
Actually, from everything I found, it had nothing to do with anything PC; the OP is the only one who has made that charge.

Here's a part of one article on SI:
"It standardizes what we do," Crouthamel said. "We don't have to order 14 different logos. We've had somewhere in the neighborhood of 19 or 20 logos that we've used on athletic apparel. Where's the consistency?"

The new logo will incorporate a consistent color palette, using a brighter orange than the current version and a darker blue. The school's colors have been orange and blue since 1890.

"We looked through media guides, and we found that the university has not had one single athletic logo since 1870, when it was founded," said Sue Edson, director of athletic communications. "It's pretty important to us."

Especially for one reason.

"This is about identity," said longtime equipment manager Kyle Fetterly, a member of the committee of coaches and school officials who made the decision. "Every time I see a navy blue hat with a yellow block 'M' on it, I know it's Michigan. Every time I see a red hat with a cream-colored 'A' on it, I know it's Alabama.
And on one blog, I found this:
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Orangemen name has anything to do with the skin color of indigenous people. Rather, I believe it has to do with the Dutch culture of upstate New York -- at the time New York was settled, Holland was ruled by the House of Orange and the loyal Dutch thought of themselves as "Orangemen."
I searched through a few pages on google, and couldn't find any real reference to anything PC about this change.
Old 05-14-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Syracuse, a long time ago, had an indian mascot (Saltine Warriors). Similarly, before Otto the Orange... even when the teams were the Orangemen, there was an Indian mascot.

They changed that before it was even "PC" to do so.
Old 05-15-04, 03:04 PM

Oh thats funny. The new chancellor at syracuse is Nancy Cantor. She was the chancellor at Illinois where she had a very agressive anti-chief view. When she found out that things werent likely to change she packed her bags

When her departure was announced everyone made a big deal saying "When is she going to change the name from orangemen to orange people." assuming that she would still have some wacked out PC views over their as well.