DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   Free Beer! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/363735-free-beer.html)

Dead 05-12-04 09:21 AM

Free Beer!

Well, maybe...

Tampa Bay Lightning May Offer Free Beer

TAMPA, Fla. - The Tampa Bay Lightning (news) is hoping to tap into larger crowds by offering unlimited free beer to season ticket holders.

But the sudsy sale may not reach its goal if safe-driving advocates have their way.

Police and several area chapters of Mothers Against Drunk Driving say the hockey team's offer is irresponsible.

"Why attach alcohol to a season-ticket plan? It's almost encouraging people to drink more than they should because it is free," said Sgt. Chris Velar, who runs the Police Department's drunken driving squad.

During the first Eastern Conference playoff game between the Lightning and the Philadelphia Flyers (news) Saturday, the St. Pete Times Forum's main scoreboard advertised the offer. Those who paid $100 toward 2004-05 season tickets were eligible for unlimited free beer during the game.

About 25 of the 21,000 people at the game signed up for season tickets, said team spokesman Bill Wickett.

People who are already intoxicated aren't served beer and free taxi rides are provided to patrons who believe they have had too much to drink, Wickett said.

Flashback 05-12-04 10:33 AM

Oh boy, I can see all the trouble happening already with this one...that said, I would love the idea (but I never drive to games, always take a Taxi/Bus/Subway) if they offered that here. I can run up a nasty tab :)

Deftones 05-12-04 11:36 AM

Let's see, they don't serve drunk people and free taxis are provided. Their ass is covered. :up:

Red Dog 05-12-04 11:53 AM

I think it is a great marketing idea plus it is only free beer for one game.

Mordred 05-12-04 12:14 PM

It saddens me that the Lightning feel they have to resort to this to sell tickets. Tampa Bay is one of the most exciting teams in hockey and have arguably the coolest player in the league with Martin St. Louis. They ought to be sold out every night.

As for the promotion itself I have no problem with it.

Red Dog 05-12-04 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Mordred
It saddens me that the Lightning feel they have to resort to this to sell tickets. Tampa Bay is one of the most exciting teams in hockey and have arguably the coolest player in the league with Martin St. Louis. They ought to be sold out every night.

As for the promotion itself I have no problem with it.

There shouldn't be a team there to begin with. If I lived in Florida, I sure as heck wouldn't be going to hockey games (at least not consistently enough to get season tickets).

twikoff 05-12-04 06:14 PM

thats a wonderful idea :up:

:D

kantonburg 05-13-04 10:10 AM

good idea but 100:1 it doesn't actually happen.

Dr_Evil 05-13-04 11:43 PM

Originally posted by kantonburg
good idea but 100:1 it doesn't actually happen.
Didn't it already happen?

From the article in the first post:

During the first Eastern Conference playoff game between the Lightning and the Philadelphia Flyers (news) Saturday, the St. Pete Times Forum's main scoreboard advertised the offer. Those who paid $100 toward 2004-05 season tickets were eligible for unlimited free beer during the game.

About 25 of the 21,000 people at the game signed up for season tickets, said team spokesman Bill Wickett.

Da Thrilla 05-13-04 11:57 PM

Shut your yap! rotfl