Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

For Wrestling Fans - Your Current Top 5 ?

Old 05-03-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For Wrestling Fans - Your Current Top 5 ?

Who are your current 5 WWE SPorts entertainers ?

Taking into account in ring performances, promos, effort, entertainment value, everything. Heel or face, male or female, smackdown or raw, doesn't matter. YOur overall Top 5

My Top 5

1) Eddie Guerero - One of the most versatile wrestlers ever, Eddie can do technical, high flying or brawl either equal skill. Great promo work if not a tad predictable but still class.

2 HHH - Has put on some great promos recently and is starting to put talent over. When he puts his mind to it, he can make his opponents look like a million bucks

3) HBK - Shawn is still coming up with the goods when it really matters and that is at the big PPVs. last two Manias, Summerslams and Survivor series, Shawn has had his best performances. Shawn is also doing his bit putting over new talent and i think his in ring performances have improved since his return. His promos haven't been as great as before but still pretty good.

4) Chris Benoit - Deserves his spot at the top, quality as ever in the ring, not letting himself down with his promos but not exactly setting the world on fire either. Needs to add more dimensions to his character

5) John Cena - i'm a huge fan of Cena, he's well over now. He is a great in ring performer with limitless potential. Cena just needs to develop better ring psychology in longer matches as mastered by HHH and HBK. Hopefully will be around for many a year

ok so your TOP 5 ?
Old 05-03-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1) Chris Jericho-- the best on the mic there is now that Rock is gone...Is capable of having a blockbuster match when motivated

2) Chris Benoit-- can make even the worst wrestlers look decent in the ring....

3) Christian-- I'm not sure what it is, but he entertains me everytime he comes out...i'm really liking his pairing with Trish

4) Eddie Guerrero-- he's come a long way...by FAR the best Smackdown has to offer

5)Ric Flair--just because he's Ric Flair

I would have included Kurt Angle, but he's not an "active" competitor at the moment
Old 05-03-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

5)Rico- This guy is the best at what he does...... Man He can brawl.... lose terrible and act retarded..

4)Spike Dudley- Wow is the creme de la creme of wrestling. He should be champion by now but not sure why.. He is great. Can lose a match with ease

3)Steven Richards- The best technical loser out there... why not stevie r ...not sure but he is the best

2)The Big Valbowski- Shakes his tale feather and still manages to get pinned.... why the hell not.... he is good at what he does....he might have won two matches but dont hold that against him... he still sucks..

1) Ultimo Dragon- He is a great wrestler and a bonafide hall of famer... but why hasnt he won match..... who the hell knows..... he sucks....
Old 05-03-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1) Eddie Guerrero- Can simply bring it every night.
2) Chris Benoit- Same as above but not as much personality
3) Chris Jericho- Gold on the mic and in the ring. Whold love to see him work another program with Guerrero
4) Shelton Benjamin- I thought ther were just going to turn him into the lesser half of a former tag team ala Marty Jannety, D-von, and countless other but the guy can go and I'm looking foward to big things from him
5) Randy Orton- I'm enjoying him go from second fiddle to lead guy. A natural Heel who can only get better.
5A) Ric Flair- No more needs to be said. A 55 year old man shouldnt' still be wrestling. A 55 year old man shouldn't carry the crowd in the palm of his hand every single night. Greatest ever.
Old 05-03-04, 11:27 AM

Suprised to see so much Eddie. Guy hasn't wrestled an interesting match yet.

1) RVD, over all, talent, great moves, entertaining interviews, appeal to fans, RVD has it. Very talented entertainer.
2) Benoit, to make pro-wrestling look real is hard, and he does it every time. Mic skills need work, but if you havn't naticed a difference in him since before XX, after XX, and even since handing him the Tag straps, you are crazy. He is getting more comfortable with the mic, and starting to come to himself.
3) HBK, going back to what made him, this guy is #1 when it comes to telling a story, even today. His last 3 high profile matched were some of the best in recent years. The triple threats, and most of all, we ALL were on the edges of our seats that RAW when he an HH had the "double pin". That was a match of the year contender.
4) Kurt Angle, does he count? Yeah, he is trying to come back again. No one can generate more heal, can work the mic, tell a story, and wrestle a match like ANgle. Why #4? No longer active at this time.
5) HHH, like HBK he is going back to "what made him" Laughing down the ramp last week, brought back that "wise a$$" attitude we all fell in love with 4-5 years ago. Gives the great interview, and in the ring, no one can touch him. Why #5? Hell this is all around right? If he hadn't stepped down from his "invincable monster" image as of late, I wouldn't even rank him.
:EDIT: for lack of Flair mention. I think that Flair has a lot to do with HHH becoming successful again. I would have loved to have Flair on my list, but he is slowing down, and has really yet to have wrestled a good singles match in some time. I see him starting to show in in HHH tho, and thats great. (still looking forward to the Evolution split that could give flair his last face run at the title, a man can dream, just one more time)

Eddie is good, but not THAT good. He was better in the WCW Nitro days IMHO. I think, like Benoit, the title has the ability to bging something out in him, but I don't think it has yet. But then again, putting him in a program with Justin Hawk Bradshaw doesn't help either.

Hmmm, from a tag team jobber to the stars, to World Title Contender in 1 month?

Honorable Mentions

Christian, getting there, FAST
Eddie, never said he wasn't good, just not top 5
Cena, can't deny his appeal
Orton, another rising star, with overall talent

Last edited by FatHead316; 05-03-04 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-03-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Chris Jericho - I miss heel jericho, but he's still my favorite. Best on the mic, and he put son mightly entertaining matches.

2. Eddie G - What can be said that hasn't already? For a guy his size he's simply dynamite.

3. Chris Benoit - Is there a move he CAN'T counter?

4. Christian - Moving on up, moving on up. He smirk alone is worth being in the top 5.

5. Randy Orton - Randy has potential to be HUUUGE.
Old 05-03-04, 11:42 AM

1. Ric Flair - Bret Hart may have said it but we all know he was talking about Flair "Best there is, Best there was, Best there ever will be"

2. HHH - He has carried WWE on his back like Atlas at times when both Rock and SC were injured, quit or making movies. He never has a bad match and is the perfect villian.

3. HBK - An amazing performer and one of the best on the mic ever. The things he and HHH did during the original DX days are classic.

4. Chris Benoit - I've been a fan of Chris since ECW and was pround to see him as a Horseman. I was even prouder to see him get the title he gave up to leave WCW.

5. Chris Jericho - He's entertaining, the guy is always entertaining.

I've never understood the draw of RVD he does high spots but the guy is incapable of telling a story.
Old 05-03-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1) Chris Jericho - MVP of anything he's on. I hated him and his "rules lawyer" gimmick in WCW, but he's my favorite in WWE.

2) Shawn Michaels - I wasn't watching wrestling when he had his first "run", so I was glad he lived up to the "hype".

3) Rob Van Dam - If HHH had allowed himself to lose instead of doing the same thing in nearly every match he had as champion (hitting someone with a sledge hammer after the ref was distracted/knocked out) in his match with RVD, he'd have been huge.

4) Billy Kidman - I liked him in WCW, and wish he would get more airtime now. A SSP from the top rope to the outside is just wonderful .

5) Molly Holly - That's right, I'd rather see Molly Holly wrestle than HHH. I generally change the channel whenever HHH comes on for one of his many "ah ahm the GAME" speeches on Raw (if I'm actually watching instead of it being on in the background).

I tend to pick "favorites" based on who I would enjoy watching wrestle just about anyone on the roster. I'd find a Benoit/Rosie or Eddie/Nunzio or HHH/Mark Henry match extraordinarily boring, but stick any of them with those on my list, and I know I'd still be entertained. Also, Flair didn't make the cut due to his... erhm... limited in ring style now. If it were "all time", then he'd be on there.
Old 05-03-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

5. Rico - He makes me laugh

4. Christian - A great heel

3. Benoit - Reminds me of Bret Hart

2. HHH - He has been real good the last couple of months

1. Jericho - The MVP of WWE the last couple of years
Old 05-03-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

5. Molly Holly: Brought some talent to the division. (Victoria lost this spot due to character assassination)

4. Paul Heyman: So good at whatever he's doing.

3. Chris Jericho: Good enough to work alone. But when given a great opponent like Christian, he really shines.

2. Steven Richards: I don't think he realizes he's a jobber now. And it's making his matches some of the most entertaining on WWE.

1. Christian: True embodiment of a heel. Best stable on TV.

D
Old 05-03-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Victoria lost this spot due to character assassination
Character assassination. So true. So very true.

2. Steven Richards: I don't think he realizes he's a jobber now. And it's making his matches some of the most entertaining on WWE.
That's a good way to describe it. His matches are great, I just wish he wasn't exclusive to Heat as I don't get to watch it.

1. Christian: True embodiment of a heel. Best stable on TV.
He's getting there. Every week since the Jericho/Christian story started I've been giving more props to Christian. He's a true bastard. I don't see this story slowing down yet, and that's a good thing, it's kept me tuning in every Monday. Jericho may have to up the ante though since Christian is finally starting to assemble his "peeps!"
Old 05-03-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Benoit - The man could wrestle a broomstick and make it look good...his mic skills have gotten much better...simply the best worker out there.

2. Eddie - Great persona and a great wrestler...I never thought I would see him with the strap

3. Jericho - Superb wrestling skills, and the ability to go full on heel or face at the drop of the hat.

4. John Cena - He can actually wrestle and he reminds me of a younger Rock...with wrestling skills

5. Christian - He plays the heel like no other right now.
Old 05-03-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mlemmond
2. HHH - ...He never has a bad match...

Thanks, I needed that.
Old 05-03-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chris Jericho - everyone in my family is a HUGE Jericho mark

Rob Van Dam - the MVP from ECW. Always brings his "A" game

Eddie Guererro - I love a great comeback

Ric Flair - so sue us, we're from North Carolina Flair works harder than guys half his age, and as long as he feels like climbing between the ropes I'll be marking out for him

Rico - Finally, somebody is taking Goldust's old gimmick and making it work. Rico = Smackdown ratings
Old 05-03-04, 07:40 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by mlemmond

I've never understood the draw of RVD he does high spots but the guy is incapable of telling a story.

How about b/c he's the most gifted wrestler - and I suggest to watch the RVD/Lynn ECW matches. You are quite incorrect about him being incapable of telling a story . Of course I assume you mean in ring, not that you're expecting RVD to be Dr. Seuss.

Edited to add Head Scratch.
Old 05-03-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1) Benoit - Technical superiority and intensity matched by no other. If he had one-half of the Rock's charisma, he would be the biggest star of the last 30 years.

2) Eddie Guerrero - Capable of excellent matches. He has the crowd in the palm of his hand.

3) Chris Jericho - Great skills, in the ring and on the mike.

4) Kurt Angle - I know he's out now, and his career is on borrowed time, but he is a natural.

5) Ric Flair - Yeah, he's past 50, doesn't work a full schedule, and may be somewhat repetitive, but nobody has ever worked a match like Flair.
Old 05-03-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad to see Rico appear, i reckon he rocks

his tag matches with Charlie Haas are entertainment plus

They work great together

I like the way he can kick ar*se with his martial arts skills in between the gay gimmick

RVD has become stale, i was a huge fan when he first came to WWE, it's a bit same ole same ole now
Old 05-04-04, 03:50 PM

Rico

For about the first 3 months he was on RAW I was trying to figure out where I have seen him before.

Then SPIKE TV showed a rerun of the first season of American Gladiators, and there he was, Rico! He was the first american gladiators champion.

I liked him then.
Old 05-04-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Rico

Originally posted by FatHead316
For about the first 3 months he was on RAW I was trying to figure out where I have seen him before.

Then SPIKE TV showed a rerun of the first season of American Gladiators, and there he was, Rico! He was the first american gladiators champion.

I liked him then.
I'm surprised you never knew, considering that JR mentioned it virtually every time Rico was on RAW. That's also how we had it drummed into our heads that D-Lo Brown was a CPA.
Old 05-04-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Benoit

2. Jericho

3. Christian

4. RVD

5. The Rock (if he counts)
Old 05-04-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Rock in small doses is amazing but the ROck everyweek gets old real quick
Old 05-04-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Randy Orton - for sheer potential

2. Chris Jericho

3. HBK

4. Chris Benoit

5. Grandmaster Sexay
Old 05-04-04, 11:10 PM
Banned

1. John Cena!!!!!-This guy has the potential to be huge one day.
2.Rvd-Excellent wrestler with not so good mic skills. Is in need of heavyweight title run.
3.Shelton Benjamin-He reminds me of a black Kurt Angle. No doubt has charisma and skill
4.Christian-Good wrestler that has been with the company for awhile and should be a huge star one day.
5.Randy Orton-good wrestler but not great. I think he's getting rushed to the top to fast but he has tons of potential
Old 05-06-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

5. Booker T - Is he gonna re-sign? Who knows, but his matches are exciting and his new heel turn can only help.

4. Chris Jericho - He has mic skills and can put on some good matches.

3. Tie - Victoria and Molly - These girls are putting womens' wrestling back and are out pacing some of the mid-card guys. Need some mic time.

1. Tie - HBK and Ric Flair - Who are we kidding? These guys shouldn't be wrestling at all. HBK is exciting to watch and equally entertaining on the mic. Plus I suspect he is hugh to the young guys starting out. Flair is prolly the toughest S.O.B. to ever walk down that aisle. Who else can get injured during a match and still finish the show AND can do it at that age?
Old 05-07-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

brooklyn brawler

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.