Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Pedro breakes off contract talks with the Sox. Says he will be a free agent.

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-01-04, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...rticleid=17281

ARLINGTON, Texas - Every team in the majors, including the Yankees, will get a crack at signing free-agent-to-be Pedro Martinez next year after the Red Sox ace halted negotiations with the team yesterday.

Martinez told the Boston Herald he would pursue free agency at the end of this season after never receiving a long-term contract extension offer from the ballclub this winter and spring.

Having already extended his own deadline for calling off talks by a month, Martinez had his agent Fernando Cuza notify general manager Theo Epstein and team president and CEO Larry Lucchino yesterday that Martinez would no longer speak with the ballclub this season.

Martinez' decision does not rule out him signing a new deal with Boston, since the Red Sox will retain exclusive negotiating rights after the World Series. However, Martinez will now allow that negotiating period to lapse and then entertain talks with other teams.

``I'm just really sad for the fans in New England who had high hopes that at this time I could say, truly, that I was going to stay in Boston, but now they're going to have to compete with the rest of the league,'' Martinez said before last night's game.

With the Sox off to such a good start and Martinez showing signs of regaining his dominance, he said his status would not become a distraction to the ballclub.

``It's not going to be (a distraction) because I'm not going to allow it,'' said Martinez, who will start tonight against the Rangers. ``It's over with and I'm just going to continue to play baseball like I would normally do.

``I was just wasting time, having something else on my mind. So now I get rid of one and concentrate on baseball and that's it.''

Epstein echoed his standard answer whenever the topic of contract discussions with players have come up this spring, which has been often.

``No comment,'' Epstein said from his Fenway Park office. ``I don't think anything productive can come about if our deliberations with our players are played out in public.''

By never moving aggressively enough to suit Martinez, the Red Sox are obviously willing to take the gamble of having Martinez finish out the season and then assess how his health and performance should be used to gauge his worth. With the ballclub firmly believing that players' salaries are on a downward trend, the team was not willing to make a preemptive strike at establishing Martinez' price now.

Martinez, who is making $17.5 million this season and acknowledged over the winter that he would probably have to take a paycut, said he did not have any disappointment or ill will toward the team.

``It's just business,'' he said.

Martinez paused when asked to assess his chances of staying with the Sox next year and beyond.

``I don't know - I'm going to have to wait and see,'' he said. ``I gave them every single chance I could.

``That's from the bottom of my heart. The fans in Boston, I know they don't understand what's going on, but I really mean it from my heart - I gave them every opportunity, every discount I could give them to actually stay in Boston and they never took advantage of it. Didn't even give me an offer.''

In late March, Martinez had a productive meeting with Epstein, Lucchino and team owner John Henry at City of Palms Park in Fort Myers. At that meeting, according to Martinez, Henry told his ace that he needed some more time in order to investigate assorted insurance policies the team wanted in order to protect itself in case Martinez, who sustained a small tear in his rotator cuff in the summer of 2001, broke down.

Martinez, who said over the winter that he would declare free agency at the start of the regular season if he had no new deal in place, agreed to extend the deadline.

``They never gave me one number, never gave me anything,'' Martinez said. ``They said, `We're going to try with the insurance company, we're going to try whatever. Mr. Henry said he was going to talk to the insurance companies and stuff like that, and I waited longer, one more month after the season began. But no, sorry, didn't work out to this point and we're going to see what we can do next year.''

Cuza said there had been some talks since the meetings in Fort Myers.

``I think we're both in agreement that we're not going to get anything done,'' Cuza said.

``We are going to wait until after the season to talk again. Pedro doesn't want to be distracted any more and so at this point, we will just wait to talk.''

Cuza said Martinez would certainly speak with the Red Sox in November.

``We're definitely going to talk to them then, but our plans are to file for free agency and go from there,'' Cuza said. ``We will listen to them but he is going to file. We are going to explore the free-agent market.''
Old 05-01-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another article I found at the Red Sox message board. This is from the Hartford Courant.

May 1, 2004
By DAVID HEUSCHKEL, The Hartford Courant
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Pedro Martinez accused Red Sox ownership of "dirty playing" and questioned the team's efforts to sign him to an extension beyond this season.

Martinez, speaking during the delay before Friday's game against the Rangers was rained out, said the Red Sox leaked false information about his shoulder not being sound as a way to decrease his value and perhaps scare off other teams from attempting to sign him.

"Just to bring my contract down. That's the whole issue," Martinez said. "That bothered me a little bit because that was dirty playing after I promised I was going to keep my mouth shut about the negotiations and everything. That bothered me that they did that just to bring my salary down, or make things more difficult for me to go on a free agency year."

Martinez said he plans to play out his contract and become a free agent next fall. He said his agent, Fernando Cuza, told the Red Sox Friday morning that he will not negotiate with them during the season. He said the Red Sox would still have a chance to sign him after he becomes a free agent.

But Martinez is not convinced the Red Sox want him or the other key players on the team in the final year of their contracts back.

"I just don't like people lying," said Martinez, who pitches tonight. "Trying to fake that they're trying to sign us when they never made an effort strong enough to actually get us to think about anything. They never brought us an offer. I waited an extra month to actually let [team owner] John Henry do whatever he promised me he was going to do. Nothing came out of it."

Martinez said he was optimistic about an agreement for an extension after meeting with ownership in spring training.

"Henry got involved and he said that he was going to try to work with some of the insurance companies or whatever," Martinez said. "I thought I was at least going to hear an offer. So was [Derek Lowe] and [Jason Varitek]. Everybody expected the same thing. The same happened to all of us. I didn't hear an offer. It was all just waiting for nothing.

"They just asked me in November to wait a little bit because the A-Rod stuff was going on. I waited. They told me in spring training to wait and we were going to work something out. When we met, they said, `We need a little bit more time to give you a good offer so you can actually look at it.' And it never came. So enough waiting, right?"

Martinez, 32, said he asked for an extension that is less than the $17.5 million he is making this year.

He said he had no idea whether ownership wanted to break up the team after this season because he and three other key players - Nomar Garciaparra, Varitek and Lowe - are in the final year of their contracts.

At the same time, Martinez made a not-so-subtle reference to what happened to the Orioles in the late 1980s and early '90s when Red Sox president/CEO Larry Lucchino was running them.

"The Orioles? Who was there when the team was competitive to actually go to a non-competitive team," Martinez said. "Who was behind the Orioles? I don't know. You take your pick. I'm not going to mention their names."

Martinez isn't worried about fan reaction to his strongest comments about his contract to date.

"The fans know that my heart, my body, my whole professional career belongs to them," he said. "If they want to judge this as me being a rebel, that's not it. I gave Boston the best opportunity I could give any team to keep me here for the rest of my career."

When Martinez said he would sign with the Yankees, a Boston TV reporter said it hurt to hear that.

"Hey, I have to earn a living. I have to actually keep a job," Martinez said. "I'm not going to go home at 32 and sit on my back. If I get an offer from somebody else and the Boston Red Sox don't want me, I'm not going to sit on my back just because I used to play for Boston."
Old 05-01-04, 09:34 AM
Banned

Wow. I feel bad for Schilling. I bet he had dreams of another 3 or 4 years of a dominating one-two punch.

I wonder where Pedro will end up. I hope he goes to a small market team. I think it would be awsome to see him end up in Detroit. They need pitching.
Old 05-01-04, 09:41 AM

New York Yankees.

That would be the ultimate "F U" to Boston, from both Pedro and George.

But I don't think there's ANY way a small market team will be able to afford Pedro. Frankly, if Boston can't resign him, I'd be surprised he ends up in anything other than the pinstripes.
Old 05-01-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DarkElf
New York Yankees.

But I don't think there's ANY way a small market team will be able to afford Pedro. Frankly, if Boston can't resign him, I'd be surprised he ends up in anything other than the pinstripes.
AKA "pulling a Roger"

heh
Old 05-01-04, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by DarkElf
New York Yankees.

After more paring of payroll, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Atlanta, but I expect him to still be in Boston next year.
Old 05-01-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I was going to say I really don't think he'd end up with the Yanks after the Zim-cident last year...

However, Georgie really didn't have that high a regard for Zim, so this could happen...

'sides, Georgie has the money..
Old 05-01-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont think Pedro will go to NY. I really believe he hates the Yankees. But who knows, money talks with Pedro, I guess.

But this is what scares me as a Red Sox fan. Even if they win the World Series this year, what about next year? The team will not even be close to the same next year. Pedro and Nomar will probably be gone, and Varitek, Lowe, and Ortiz could be gone as well. My biggest fear is that if the Sox win the WS, everyone will be gone and payroll will be about 1/2 of what it is now because management knows that people would show up no matter what if the Sox win it all this year. I hope the Sox dont turn into the 97 Marlins.
Old 05-01-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If Pedro, Beltran, another left-side infielder, and another SP go to the Yankees next year, their payroll could be about $225 million.
Old 05-01-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a Yankee fan and I wouldn't be surprised to see George throw some cash at Pedro. However, I don't want Pedro on the Yanks. He's a good pitcher and will win games but I don't see him getting along with anyone on the team. He has a history with some of the guys on the Yanks and all I can see is him hurting the team.
Old 05-01-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a die hard, kill-for-a-win Yankee fan....

.....and I don't want Pedro anywhere near New York. Kerry Wood on the other hand.....
Old 05-01-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't see Pedro as a Yankee, but i guess you never know.
Old 05-01-04, 11:54 PM
Banned

Pedro, no. Nomar, yes.
Old 05-03-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Manny: I'll pay up: Offer to defer salary no joke

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...rticleid=18882

ARLINGTON, Texas - Who knew Manny Ramirez was so profound?

Who knew he was a voice of reason in that clubhouse?

Typically, Ramirez is someone we don't take seriously. In yesterday's Herald, for instance, Ramirez told Mike Silverman he would gladly defer part of his annual salary - which is $20 million per year on average - to help the team pay to keep his friend Pedro Martinez [stats, news] in a Red Sox [stats, schedule] uniform.

The number he threw out was $5 million a year to chip in for the Pedro fund. That's what he was willing to subtract from his salary to help keep the Sox ace, who will test free agency at season's end.

``How long is (Pedro) planning to stay, three years?'' Ramirez was quoted in the article. ``I'll loan them a contract. Whatever they want. How much do they need? It's for Pedro.''

Surely, anyone reading that had to believe it was a joke. Just another instance of Manny being Manny. Besides, what player ever gives back money?

Well, Ramirez can register as the first and only to do just that.

When asked after last night's 4-1 loss to the Texas Rangers if he was just kidding around, just pulling someone's leg, Ramirez reiterated his claim.

``I am serious,'' he said sternly. ``I want Pedro to stay. Pedro's the heart of the team. He's been here so long. I think it's going to be a sad moment to see him leave. That's why I said what I did. It's really no problem for me. Hey, how much money do I need?''

Again, what athlete do you ever hear saying something like that? Usually, they never have enough.

Ramirez last night also wanted to include Nomar Garciaparra [stats, news] in his money giveaway. The shortstop is another player Ramirez believes should remain a Sox player if at all possible.

Obviously, union head Donald Fehr and the almighty Players Association would never allow what Ramirez is proposing - it didn't work when Alex Rodriguez was attempting to come to Boston - but once again, given Manny has now opened himself up to the media, it's a side of him we never knew existed.

Ramirez was speaking from his heart. And he was very sincere.
Old 05-04-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never liked Manny I always thought of him as a scumbag. But offering money to keep Pedro is a really cool thing to do
Old 05-04-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Manny may be a clubhouse grouch, but when it's his turn at the plate, he's ALWAYS gonna give 110%.
Old 05-04-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
Manny may be a clubhouse grouch, but when it's his turn at the plate, he's ALWAYS gonna give 110%.
yup, nobody's ever accused him of slacking as a hitter...
Old 05-04-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont think I have ever heard of Manny being a clubhouse grouch. Any examples?
Old 05-06-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

exactly..the only knocks on him i've ever heard is that he can be lazy (running out fly balls), and he can get cranky when someone throws high heat.

as far as the clubhouse goes, we never hear a peep from him.
Old 05-06-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am all for pedro apart of the yankees....

He will end up... if you cant beat them.... join them.....

Money talks... obviously the money did the talking as well in his situation with boston
Old 05-06-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Boston.Com:

What he asked for, according to the source, was a three-year deal, plus an option, that would have paid him between $2 million to $3 million less than he is being paid this season, and $500,000 less than Randy Johnson's contract with the Arizona Diamondbacks. The source was vague on whether Martinez was willing to take less than the $15 million Johnson was paid in 2003, or the $16 million he is being paid in each of the next two seasons, but it was still a sizable reduction.
Old 05-07-04, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by chrisih8u
I dont think I have ever heard of Manny being a clubhouse grouch. Any examples?
Yeah, if anything, I've heard that Manny is totally unaffected in the clubhouse.

He can go 5 for 5 with all 5 being home runs, or he can go 0 for 5 with 5 really weak Ks; but the next day in the clubhouse, he'll be in the exact same mood either way. The only thing that bothers him is too much attention, be it good or bad. He just wants to be left alone to paly baseball.

That's exactly why I wasn't concerned about what his attitude was gonna be this year with all the off-season trade talk: Manny is genuinely unconcerned and unaffected by anything that goes on around him. And he's had this rep for years; it was always explained away by saying Manny isn't what you would consider to be a 'cerebral' (and I'm using that term both loosely and kindly) person.......