Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Anyone see the Cleveland Barons AHL whacking?

Old 05-01-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone see the Cleveland Barons AHL whacking?

I missed the clip, but a buddy said it was awful...apparently it was on Sportscenter tonight....here's the story...any link to video would be appreciated...not that I think i really need to see it...eesh....

Cleveland player hit with stick during AHL playoff game
April 30, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

HAMILTON, Ontario -- Cleveland Barons defenseman Garrett Stafford was taken to a hospital after being struck in the head with a stick by Hamilton Bulldogs forward Alexander Perezhogin on Friday night during an AHL playoff game.

Stafford was on his knees when he was struck and he fell to the ice, blood gushing from a gash on his face. He was attended to by a doctor and trainers and then was taken to Hamilton General Hospital where he was treated and released, a spokeswoman for Hamilton Health Sciences, told the Hamilton Spectator.

There was no word Friday night whether any criminal charges will be brought.

Stafford was injured in the first period and Cleveland went on to a 4-1 victory that brought them within 3-2 in the series. The best-of-7 series resumes Sunday in Cleveland.

"I've been doing hockey my whole life and I've never seen anything like it," Barons coach Roy Sommer said.

Sommer said he hopes Perezhogin is punished to the full extent possible.

"I don't think this guy should ever play again in North America," he said. "That's a travesty. I saw it on tape ... and it's even worse on tape."

Bulldogs coach Doug Jarvis said his team's thoughts are with Stafford.

"My only thoughts right now is that Garrett Stafford is all right," he said. "That's what we're all hoping for at this time."

In March, Vancouver Canucks forward Todd Bertuzzi was suspended for the rest of the NHL regular season and the playoffs for attacking Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore from behind.

Vancouver police have finished their investigation in that case and a decision on charges is pending.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
Old 05-01-04, 01:42 AM
Premium Member

I saw it once on Sportscenter, and the guy did get whacked hard! They showed him twitching on his back laying on the ice after the hit and being carried off on a stretcher.

I didn't see enough to tell what the intent was, but from the reports it sounds nasty.
Old 05-01-04, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the video and Alex Perez didn't know the guy was on his knees, and his intent wasn't to strike him in the face (obviously).

I don't see a permanent ban of any sort, most likely the rest of the playoffs and 15 games into next year.

He's a top 3 Montreal prospect, but I would think Montreal would try and trade him if they can find a taker.

He'll rebound, he's too good of a player to let this make him leave hockey. He's not a dirty player and the entire series has been hard fought and he's been taking a beating and met to give Garrett and slash on the legs/upper thighs. He's not a dirty player in any sort, although this will change everyone's mind.

Garrett left the hospital with a 3rd degree concussion and facial lacerations. He fell to the ice and went into convulsions as blood gushed from his face. His turntable to return is unknown, although should be back in time for the beginning of next season.

edit: Wanted to add that this happened 2 seconds before Garrett swung at Alex's face and just missed.

Last edited by vdadlani219; 05-01-04 at 05:28 AM.
Old 05-01-04, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the clip, people who do things like this belong in jail!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hamilton Bulldogs forward Alexander Perezhogin has been suspended indefinitely by the American Hockey League, pending further review and without pay, after being assessed a match penalty for his actions against Cleveland Barons defenseman Garrett Stafford during a Calder Cup North Division semifinal playoff game on Friday night.

The Bulldogs currently lead the best-of-seven series, three games to two, with Game Six scheduled for Sunday, May 2, at Cleveland.
Old 05-01-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the video and Alex Perez didn't know the guy was on his knees, and his intent wasn't to strike him in the face (obviously).
I saw it finally too, and I think I have to agree with this assessment - despite being appalled at the damage. It seemed to me to be the kind of whack towards the knees that occurs a hundred times a game, especially in front of the net. the offending player wasn't facing him, and turned and swung down all in one motion.

it's unfortunate and scary looking, but I don't think it merits a banning or anything....and certainly doesn't appear to be an intent to maim like it sounded in the articles i read.
Old 05-01-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree.

He was responding to a slash, and turned around and gave a vicious slash that happens routinely in pretty much every NHL and AHL game now. Unfortunately, his target was on his knees, so he took the stick in the face.
Old 05-01-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

i saw it 2 or 3 times on sportscenter
and to me, it looked like he turned around, saw the guy on his knees, and whacked the crapped out of him in frustration
Old 05-01-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I doubt if anyone in Cleveland seen it-they only had 700 people show up for a playoff game earlier.
Old 05-02-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Clip!

http://user.fundy.net/ranold/Perezhogin.wmv
Old 05-02-04, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

f**k hockey
Old 05-02-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What i gathered from the clip is that Strafford's missed slash seemed to be aiming for the head of Perezhogin...while the slash to the face was pretty awful, i think that if Strafford's slash had connected, the damage would have been to the other guy instead.
Old 05-03-04, 08:46 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by J-Dubya
f**k hockey

J-Dubya, thread crapping is against forum rules. If you don't want to participate in a thread in a meaningful manner, then please don't post anything at all.
Old 05-03-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The original video link is dead, but here's a link to a follow-up story by CTV news.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...5/?hub=Canada# (Click on the "CTV News" video link on the right-hand side of the page.)
Old 05-03-04, 01:59 PM

YAY A CLEVELAND SPORTS TEAM MADE THE NEWS!!!!

Barons lost the series though.
Old 05-03-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Dead
J-Dubya, thread crapping is against forum rules. If you don't want to participate in a thread in a meaningful manner, then please don't post anything at all.
but you have to admit
he had a good point there

Old 05-03-04, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by twikoff
but you have to admit
he had a good point there

Well no, actually, we don't.

But whether he had a valid point isn't something to be presented or argued in this thread b/c thread crapping is against the forum rules.

(and technically, Twikoff, you thread crapped too...)
Old 05-05-04, 12:24 AM
Banned

it's only a game focker!