Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: What do you think of Fenway Park?
Its a dump. Get rid of it
29.23%
It only needs minor improvements
12.31%
It needs major improvements, but not a new park
18.46%
Its perfect the way it is now
20.00%
It was perfect before they made changes
4.62%
They should change the name to Twikoff Park
15.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

What do you think about Fenway Park?

Old 04-22-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What do you think about Fenway Park?

Personally, I think Fenway Park sucks. The seats are uncomfortable and most of them dont face the pitchers mound. Alot of the seats are obstructed. The new improvements seem nice, but that doesnt change my opinion that it its a dump.

I wish the Sox would get a new park, like all of the nice ones that have opened recently. Unfortunately, the new owners arent going to do that.

Have you ever been? What did you think?
Old 04-22-04, 01:35 PM

I've only been there once, and enjoyed it... but I didn't have a bad seat. It wasn't exactly comfortable, though.

I wouldn't mind a new park if they transplanted the Green Monster and put it at the same distance from home plate that it is now.
Old 04-22-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's see.....a giant green wall in left, a possible 300 foot homerun in right.

At least you don't have to run uphill to catch flyballs in the outfield!
Old 04-22-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A Dump. The bathroom is the nastiest place on Earth.
Old 04-22-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the park in theory. The atmosphere is the best, it's a throwback, and it is unique without being a novelty like many of the new retro parks.

But once you've sat at a new park with great sightlines, it exposes how lacking the place is. I've sat underneath the DiamondVision, several CF bleacher seats where you simply cannot see anything further out than 2B, and behind countless poles. Unfortunately, there is no amount of renovation that can save it.
Old 04-22-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had a hard time voting for "It's a dump" though I ultimately did. With it's history, calling it a dump just doesn't seem right. I'd love to see if preserved for historic purposes, but it was the worst viewing experience I've had. The sightlines were poor, seats were crowded with no leg room to speak of, and view obstructions everywhere, and these were seats behind home plate that I thought would be really good.
Old 04-22-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[Yankee fans]Getting a good team in there would help[/Yankee fans] rename it Twikoff park(because I've never been)
Old 04-22-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bralph
With it's history, calling it a dump just doesn't seem right.
History? Link?
Old 04-22-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bralph
I had a hard time voting for "It's a dump" though I ultimately did. With it's history, calling it a dump just doesn't seem right. I'd love to see if preserved for historic purposes, but it was the worst viewing experience I've had. The sightlines were poor, seats were crowded with no leg room to speak of, and view obstructions everywhere, and these were seats behind home plate that I thought would be really good.
Never been to it, but everything I have heard about it is what you said. I would say don't get a new ballpark until they win a World Series in Fenway, but that may not be a good idea
Old 04-22-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a dump.

If you're over 6' tall, your'e screwed. Tiny, uncomfortable seats... half of which have obstructed views. Not to mention the outrageous ticket prices. Lack of parking. Overcrowded bathrooms. etc, etc.

IMO, the most over-rated park in all of sports. But I'll still go every chance I get.
Old 04-22-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree dump.

The seats are torture, and the isles are so long, when you get up, you have to get yelled out for 20 minutes until you can get out of the end of the row to use a bathroom..
Old 04-22-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree that the seats are terrible and not very comfortable. If they got new seats, like they did at Wrigley Field, it would improve the stadium. However, this would probably lead to a lower seating capacity and less attendance so I don't know if that would even be an option for the owners of the team.
Old 04-22-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'm torn because i love going to fenway, but i don't love fenway. the location is great, there are tons of cool restaurants/bars around it, and the field itself is very unique (green monster, pesky pole, etc). the problem with it is the seats suck, the sightlines suck, and because it's so small, the ticket prices are WAY to high. if they could renovate the park in such a way as to preserve the good, but lose the bad, i would be all for it....

we shall see
Old 04-22-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by Lastblade
A Dump. The bathroom is the nastiest place on Earth.
You should have seen it before they pulled out the troughs.......
Old 04-23-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Been there many times, mostly during the '80s...sat in the bleachers as a poor college student and sat right behind the dugout. If you close in (before the support beams and around the infield it's not bad at all.

The atmosphere is a lot of fun and it is one of the 2 left from way back...unless you count Yankee Stadium but that was refurbished in the '70s...I guess you could.

That said, and like many others, most of the seats are built for midgets, the bathrooms are awful, the floors in the concourse were a mess and dirty...but it still is Fenway and would always recommend to anyone to go at least once.
Old 04-23-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jobronie
You should have seen it before they pulled out the troughs.......
They still have them at Wrigley, got to love the Dad that lifts his young son up to use them...sort of like the hose that gets away from you and spurts all over the place. .
Old 04-23-04, 10:48 AM

Was there last Monday for the first time in since the 2002 season. The new owners are certainly trying to spruce up the place. I thought both new sections looked great (wall seats and right field roof). The new concourse behind right feild was nice as well. I loved the stuff on Yawkey way (try the cuban sandwich at el tiantes, you may even meet loooooooie himself). On the down side, prices. Beer $6 ... Nose bleed bleacher tix $20... 24oz bt of water $4.25 and so on. Yeah I know they have the second highest payroll and the smallest park in MLB, but it doesn't make it any easier to afford going 15 to 20 times a year like I used to. I've lived in Boston all my life and does Fenway need to be replaced.. YES! Will it in my lifetime (36 yrs old) I'm not sure. The city will never pay for a Stadium and I don't blame them. The owner ship has like a 500 millon dollar mortgage on the park and team, so they can't afford to build it themselfs. And even if they had the money I doubt it would be built downtown as real estate prices are incredibly high. I've been to many of the newer parks and love them. I would love to see a new park in Boston, but given the finacial cost of building a new team it won't happen anytime soon. And quite frankly I'ld rather see the owners spend the money for a winning team.
Old 04-23-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That team definitely ought to have a first rate stadium. Fenway is not such a stadium.
Old 04-23-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would be interested in hearing from the 4 people who think it is perferct the way it is.
Old 04-23-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope to get there someday before they bulldose it.
Old 04-23-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I say get rid of the whinning team called the red Sox.....
Old 04-23-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went to Fenway Park nine years ago and sat by the Pesky Pole. My neck still hurts.

Fenway has it's charm, but it's a dump in spite of that charm.
Old 04-23-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by raven56706
I say get rid of the whinning team called the red Sox.....
What/Which whiny (sp?) team? All of them or is there a certain one or certain player that you can think of....Fenway...not team.
Old 04-26-04, 12:40 AM
Banned

calling it a 'dump' might be a little much, ever been to olympic park in montreal?

it has plenty of flaws, but there is nowhere better to watch a baseball game. i hope they either do a major renovation or replace it at some point....right now it looks like the owners are leaning towards renovating......the monster seats and new Budweiser roof seats are awesome. the new ownership has made major improvements (or bandaids depending on your perspective).....years ago it was extremely cramped, now they have opened up huge areas under the seats to widen and improve the concourses, bathrooms and concessions.......obviously it has no comparison to the new ballparks as far as ammenities, but as far as atmosphere, electricity and closeness to the field and game, there is no comparison to fenway.

ps: i see many complaints about site-lines.....there are many seats in the right field area that face the center field wall (if you can picture that), so your head has to crane to your left to see the game......other than those seats and the back rows of the bleachers, the view is unmatched, as you will be closer to the game than any other park in baseball, and by far. foul territory is literally a couple of feet to the first seats along infield, and narrows to maybe a foot in leftfield and nothing in right field....

Last edited by MACD23; 04-26-04 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-26-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been a few times. Pretty crappy when compared to modern parks. It's got a great feel to it, but I'd love to see them revamp it if possible. It just seems like a minor league park

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.