Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Eli Manning's dad says the Chargers suck! :lol:

Old 04-22-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eli Manning's dad says the Chargers suck! :lol:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...argers_manning

Archie Manning apparently doesn't want his son to be stuck with a bad NFL team the way he was.
And you know what? He speaks nothing but truth.
Old 04-22-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess his dad doesnt think Eli is good enough to turn around the Chargers. I dont think he said anything when Peyton went to a bad Colts team.
Old 04-22-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damnit, I was just about to post this. I say the Charger's should keep him, and the NFL needs to find someway to penalize Eli if he won't play for whoever drafts him. The players can't control the draft.
Old 04-22-04, 01:00 PM
Retired

From sportscenter this morning, it sounds like they are trying to push the charges to trade the pick to the Giants.
Old 04-22-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah...because the Giants were Stellar last year!! 4-12 baby!!!
Old 04-22-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by ESUguy
I say the Charger's should keep him, and the NFL needs to find someway to penalize Eli if he won't play for whoever drafts him. The players can't control the draft.
I agree with this. Although by now, the Chargers are probably better off unloading the pick to the Giants for a lot more picks. The Mannings might have been unhappy with the fact that SD never came out and proclaimed that Eli is their guy, instead kept waffling on what they're going to do with that No. 1 pick.
Old 04-22-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What a little shit. What was said above, teams draft players, not the other way around. I'd love to find a job in San Diego. Didn't Lindros pull something like this? And what does Eli's daddy have to do with anything?
Old 04-22-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I am Eli, I would rather play for the Giants only because you get to go on moronic reality shows like The Bachelor. Gotta make out for free on TV, who would disagree? Maybe Eli's dad wants to make out with other senior citizens too (wasn't there a show where kids pick a date for their dad?)....
Old 04-22-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rabbit77
And what does Eli's daddy have to do with anything?
Archie was a very good QB whose career was wasted and shortened by bad teams and little protection. I'm sure he doesn't want to see a repeat for his son.

These kinds of things always annoy me, but as a Saints fan, I always have to give Archie a pass.
Old 04-22-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mad Dawg
Archie was a very good QB whose career was wasted and shortened by bad teams and little protection. I'm sure he doesn't want to see a repeat for his son.

These kinds of things always annoy me, but as a Saints fan, I always have to give Archie a pass.
I'm familiar with his dad, but what I meant was Eli's his own man and ought to learn how to make his own decisions.
Old 04-22-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm familiar with his dad, but what I meant was Eli's his own man and ought to learn how to make his own decisions.
Oh. In that case, yeah, you're right.
Old 04-22-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's funny how everyone forgets that John Elway, everybody's favorite "good guy" and "golden boy"... pulled this same exact thing in 1983.... and nobody seems to have cared. Yet this sets everyone off.
Old 04-22-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't John Elway manipulate the draft by using baseball as a backup plan if he didn't get drafted by a better team?
Old 04-22-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

oops, great minds type alike...
DVD Talk Legend

beat ya.

And yes, that's what Elway did. Ended up manipulating the Colts into trading him to Denver.
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ESUguy
Damnit, I was just about to post this. I say the Charger's should keep him, and the NFL needs to find someway to penalize Eli if he won't play for whoever drafts him. The players can't control the draft.
He can refuse to sign, pretty much the same thing
Old 04-22-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the record, he can refuse to sign for a year and re-enter the draft next year. Would the Chargers want to risk losing a #1 overall pick for nothing?
Old 04-22-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What a little shit. What was said above, teams draft players, not the other way around. I'd love to find a job in San Diego. Didn't Lindros pull something like this? And what does Eli's daddy have to do with anything?
Not sure about Eric, but his brother Brett was going to be drafted by the LA Kings, and the Lindros family said if they drafted him, he would never suit up for them. Apparently Wayne Gretzky (who was playing for the Kings at the time) had said something to Eric and his Dad took offense to it, or some lame crap like that. Needless to say, Brett ended up being drafted by the NY Islanders, and was out of the league in a year because of concussions.
Old 04-22-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WildcatLH
It's funny how everyone forgets that John Elway, everybody's favorite "good guy" and "golden boy"... pulled this same exact thing in 1983.... and nobody seems to have cared. Yet this sets everyone off.
First off, people didn't give Elway a pass. Folks like me hated his guts for a loooong time. You just might be a little too young to remember it. I thought he was a prima donna who should have gotten his ass kicked.

The reason people softened on Elway is because a) he stayed his entire career with the team he forced a trade to, and b) he was a tough as nails ****er, which after a while dispelled the prima donna label, to some extent.
Old 04-22-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eric Lindros was drafted by Quebec, and he refused to play for them, sat out a year, and was ultimately traded to Philly for some ungodly amount of cash and EIGHT players: Peter Forsberg, Mike Ricci, Jocelyn Thibault, Chris Simon, Steve Duchesne, Ron Hextall, Kerry Huffman, and some other minor leaguer that never made it.

It remains the most obscene fiasco in all of sports imho....of course, Quebec moved to CO and the rest is Stanley Cup History....although the flyers at least had the distinction of getting swept by Detroit in the finals a year after Colorado won in 1996.
Old 04-22-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a decent PR move to have the dad say it to try and distance the comments from Eli himself. Not that it's going to be positive on Eli, but it probably would have been worse if he said it directly.

I understand why he doesn't want to play in San Diego, yeah they suck but Marty never throws the ball. Still, I'd think Marty would be gone in a few years and teams can turn things around much faster than in Archie's day.

Does throw an interesting wrench into the Charger's draft plans
Old 04-22-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the chargers should trade the #1 draft to the giants and more picks and than select philip rivers {just hope rivers doesnt turn into a R. leaf. what the point of drafting eli, if he doesnt want to play for the chargers.

the chargers don't know how to draft at all. back in 98 they drafted ryan leaf; than in 2001, they let traded the #1 draft pick {m. Vick} to atlanta in teturn for tim dwight, and 2 picks, which they chose L.T. and Drew brees.
Old 04-22-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Although maybe the 2001 trade was a bad idea... remember that there were a LOT of NFL people who thought that Leaf would be a better QB than Manning. There was a lot of noise in the Colts locker room (although they'll never admit it) that they should take Leaf over Manning. So I can't blame the Chargers for that. It's not nearly as bad as Cincy's decision to draft Akili Smith #3 overall the next year.

Last edited by WildcatLH; 04-22-04 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-22-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Although maybe the 2001 trade was a bad idea... remember that there were a LOT of NFL people who thought that Leaf would be a better QB than Manning. There was a LOT of noise in the Colts locker room (although they'll never admit it) that they should take Leaf over Manning. So I can't blame the Chargers for that. It's not nearly as bad as Cincy's decision to draft Akili Smith #3 overall the next year.
People say that, but is it really true? I mean c'mon Manning was astud college player for 4 years and Leaf has one good season. I'm certainly not implying Leaf sucked or anything, but I really can't imagine someone choosing Leaf over Manning when the marbles where on the line. Manning just had too many pluses coming out of college. I certainly can't fault anyone for drafting Leaf high, just not #1.
Old 04-22-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jericho
People say that, but is it really true? I mean c'mon Manning was astud college player for 4 years and Leaf has one good season. I'm certainly not implying Leaf sucked or anything, but I really can't imagine someone choosing Leaf over Manning when the marbles where on the line. Manning just had too many pluses coming out of college. I certainly can't fault anyone for drafting Leaf high, just not #1.
'Twas true. That's at least how I remember it... plus they were talking about it on ESPN Radio this morning and they mentioned the same thing. I remember the debate running up to the 98 Draft and I remember a bunch of people saying that they'd take Leaf over Manning. Manning had "happy feet", he couldn't win the big one, and he locked onto his primary reciever way too early.... there was a lot of nit-picking going on.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.