Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Wrigley rooftop pics

Old 04-20-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wrigley rooftop pics

I went to my first rooftop game this past Sunday. The view itself was unbelieveable, and it's almost a shame that the Cubs were putting up a fight with these rooftop owners. However, considering that these owners were raking in close to $10k a game, it's hard not to look their way.

To be honest though, I don't know if the $75 price was worth it. Even though the view was great, and it's a unique experience, I think it's a bit too steep.

I'd go if somebody else paid for it.

From the 2nd level:

Last edited by ChiTownAbs, Inc; 04-20-04 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-20-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Ill run a tv up to my room and let you watch the game up there for 20$
Old 04-20-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
Ill run a tv up to my room and let you watch the game up there for 20$
That's what it used to be -- if you ever watched games prior to 89 or so, the day games would have 2-3 guys up there with a six-pack, a TV, and a BBQ grill with a few steaks going. It was no big deal back then.

I would say the 'popularity' of the rooftops started in the last 5-6 years or so. That's when the landlords became bigger businessmen and started charging $50+ -- that's when the Cubs stepped in.
Old 04-20-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc.
That's what it used to be -- if you ever watched games prior to 89 or so, the day games would have 2-3 guys up there with a six-pack, a TV, and a BBQ grill with a few steaks going. It was no big deal back then.

I would say the 'popularity' of the rooftops started in the last 5-6 years or so. That's when the landlords became bigger businessmen and started charging $50+ -- that's when the Cubs stepped in.
Pretty much...folding chair, cooler, hibachi and knock on the front door.

Good game and awesome day to go (I was 14 rows behind 1st base). The rooftop you were on was one of the few that actually had anyone on them...it was the -Bricks n Ivy- Bldg correct?
Old 04-20-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ChiTownAbs, you really liked it? The one time I did the rooftop thing, my gf got us tickets from one her clients, I sorta hated it.. YOu couldnt' even tell if the ball was going to be caught when it near the warning track in the outfield. It was sorta neat to look at the stadium like that, but didn't seem like I was really at the game..

Those are some nice pictures by the way..
Old 04-20-04, 10:18 AM

What's up with that Curse Quenching sign?!?Who's idea was that?!? Cool pics sseing as i'll probably never get to see Wrigley.
Old 04-20-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk God

why would you want to pay that much for an obstructed view of the field?
Old 04-20-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool experience (and great pics by the way), but I can't believe the tix cost $75 - that's absurd.
Old 04-20-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well the seats do come with all you can drink and eat, at least the ones I had were. No idea how much they cost though, because they were a free "perk".
Old 04-20-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I still think that is a little too expensive even w/ all you can eat drink.
Old 04-20-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Who gets the money for that big billboard on the roof?
Old 04-20-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Who gets the money for that big billboard on the roof?
I believe whoever owns the building.
Old 04-20-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by SpaceBoy
Well the seats do come with all you can drink and eat, at least the ones I had were. No idea how much they cost though, because they were a free "perk".

That's what I was going to ask. Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal.
Old 04-20-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by B.A.
Cool experience (and great pics by the way), but I can't believe the tix cost $75 - that's absurd.
$75 is cheap since at this time it is usually cold-Chi's day happened to be just about perfect - right now for prime time summer they can go up to $150+ per person...was priced for this summer for a friends company outing....and there are only a couple of games available.
Old 04-20-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was an alright experience. I really do think these type of things are really built for corporate outings. I don't know if I'd drop $75 again -- unless it was a playoff game -- in which case it would be significantly higher.
Old 04-20-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seems like you can get a similar view from the nosebleed seats inside the stadium. I understand the appeal of lawn chairs and a hibachi, but not with the price gouging. Cubs fans shouldn't support those a-holes.
Old 04-20-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The rooftops are like boxes. They aren't the best seats in the house. You are paying for the event, and the open bar. I have been 2 games on rooftops - the first one is near the Miller sign in right. Its the one with the small metal benches. I was a guest of the Washington Post for that one (was in advertising at the time)

Second time, I paid with a group and we sat above Murphy's Bleachers. You are obstructed with the view in both cases. I lucked out because the one with Murph's was a 16 inning game. That means I was totally shit faced by the end.