Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Rams to cut Warner after June 1

Old 04-20-04, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rams to cut Warner after June 1

I hate this guy and am absolutely loving this. I guess the deal he made with the devil just ran out.

Hey, Kurt! I heard a lot of Arena football teams are looking for QBs.

Two-time NFL most valuable player Kurt Warner, whose career deteriorated over the past two seasons because of a series of injuries and inconsistency, will be released by the St. Louis Rams after June 1.

Warner's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told the New York Daily News that Warner was informed Monday by Rams coach Mike Martz of the team's decision. The team could make an official announcement as early as Tuesday, the paper reported.

League and team sources confirmed the move to ESPN.com.
The Rams also granted Warner and his representatives permission to begin talking with other teams, although the six-year veteran won't technically be freed from his contract for at least six more weeks.

"We're trying to find the right place and the right situation," Bartelstein told the Daily News. "Kurt is in great shape, he's as healthy as can be and ready to have a terrific season."

Bartelstein said Warner doesn't necessarily have to go to a team where he can start.

"Does he have to find a starting job to be happy? We're going to keep an open mind," Bartelstein said. "Most teams today have their starting quarterback set."

Despite a spate of non-denial denials from team officials this offeason, the decision to cut ties with Warner is hardly surprising. St. Louis is currently in negotiations with the agents for three-year veteran Marc Bulger on a long-term contract and this month signed veteran Chris Chandler to serve as a backup.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that Martz did leave a sliver of hope that Warner could return, contingent on the Rams' ability to sign Bulger. The paper reported that Jay Zygmunt, Rams president of football operations, has met on a preliminary basis with Tom Condon, Bulger's agent, Tom Condon.

"We could hold on to this and hold on to this, but we're trying to be fair with Kurt," Martz told the Post-Dispatch. "I made a promise to him that we would let him know as soon as we knew. ... We've just taken the first step. That's all this amounts to. Now, we'll see where it goes."

The move will free up approximately $4.85 million in 2004 cap room for the Rams. The club will still have to carry $4.61 million in so-called "dead money," cap room devoted to a player no longer on the roster, against its spending limit for 2004. Warner's current cap number, however, is a whopping $9.467 million, an exorbitant amount for a player who was not going to win the starting job.

St. Louis will also have to absorb a cap hit of $6.723 million in 2005. Warner is under contract through the 2006 campaign.

The Rams also will likely select a quarterback in this weekend's draft.

Warner, 32, proved an incredible rags-to-riches tale. The one-time journeyman out of Northern Iowa emerged from stints in the Arena Football League and the NFL Europe League to lead St. Louis to a Super Bowl XXXIV victory in 1999. He captured league MVP honors that season and also in 2001.

But injuries caught up to Warner the past two seasons, his playing time was reduced and his productivity waned. He started only one game in 2003 and made two appearances.

He lost his starting job to Bulger after fumbling six times in the Rams' opener against the New York Giants last season. It was learned after the game the Warner was playing with a concussion.

Martz replaced Warner with Bulger the next week, and Warner never returned to the starting lineup.

His career includes 1,121 completions in 1,688 attempts, for 14,447 yards, with 102 touchdown passes and 65 interceptions.
Old 04-20-04, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont understand the hatred of Warner that some people have. I can understand the the wife being annoying, but I havent heard anything that warrants the badmouthing he's gotten. Its not like he is loudmouth druggy, constantly getting arrested.
Old 04-20-04, 05:10 AM

I'm sure if Warner's wife was actually hot and actually had nice hair and actually wasn't annoying as hell, people would love him.

Don't people generally love underdogs anyway? He certainly is that.
Old 04-20-04, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

People like underdogs until they succeed. Then they are jerks who shouldnt have won.
Old 04-20-04, 06:07 AM

If he's healthy, I don't see why the Dolphins shouldn't make a run at him to compete with A. J. Feeley - although they don't exactly have a lot of cap room.
Old 04-20-04, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk God

there will be a large handful of teams ready to scoop him up quick if he gets cut
Old 04-20-04, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by chrisih8u
I Its not like he is loudmouth druggy, constantly getting arrested.
This is why I hate him...
Old 04-20-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

49ers should make a run for him, not like they have much more to lose.....
Old 04-20-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Elway was an underdog for most of his career, and when he won 2 Super Bowls, nobody started to hate him.
Old 04-20-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

waiting for good-ole feather head to speak up about this

Old 04-20-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

maybe Kurt can get his job back at that grocery store
Old 04-20-04, 09:05 AM

I would actually rather see Dallas make a run for Kurt instead of the rumored Vinny Testaverde deal.
Old 04-20-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by antennaball
I would actually rather see Dallas make a run for Kurt instead of the rumored Vinny Testaverde deal.
Vinny needs to stay in NY so he can screw up the Jets season when Pennington goes down.
Old 04-20-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Would San Diego make a run at him? That woudl certainly make things interesting.
Old 04-20-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, I agree, I don't understand the dislike for the guy, sure his wife is annoying and all.

I really like the guy, seems like a nice enough guy, and pretty humble in my opinion. How could you not love his story, from going to bagging groceries, to winning the superbowl.

He does seem a bit nutty sometimes with his religious beliefs, but I don't think that's a bad thing, just a bit nutty to me.

I wish the bears would have got him last year, heck maybe Lovie will try to reiunite himself with his buddy. I still can't muster up belief in grossman, although most here in Chicago, are already declaring him the next golden boy or something.
Old 04-20-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Let me get this out of the way:

Old 04-20-04, 10:37 AM

I would hope that the Los Angeles Diablos... errrr New Orleans Saints would make a run at him. I think anything would be better that the very very hit or miss Brooks!
Old 04-20-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by nickdawgy
49ers should make a run for him, not like they have much more to lose.....
NO, NO, NO!!! Don't say retarded things like that. I heard someone mention that on the radio this morning and I almost put my fist through the console.

Warner is a nice guy, but a lot of the people who can't stand him, whether they are Rams fans or not, are just sick of hearing about him all of the time - particularly if you live in the St. Louis area. The man (his story, his family, his religious beliefs, etc.) has been shoved down our throats for five years now. It's just time to let him and the whole aura go. Enough is enough.
Old 04-20-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

maybe god will sign him?
Old 04-20-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by db27
maybe god will sign him?
Why? He already has Tom Brady
Old 04-20-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by kmac2878
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kmac2878
I was going to say that, but didnt want to further my Brady-whoring reputation.
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by B.A.
NO, NO, NO!!! Don't say retarded things like that. I heard someone mention that on the radio this morning and I almost put my fist through the console.

Warner is a nice guy, but a lot of the people who can't stand him, whether they are Rams fans or not, are just sick of hearing about him all of the time - particularly if you live in the St. Louis area. The man (his story, his family, his religious beliefs, etc.) has been shoved down our throats for five years now. It's just time to let him and the whole aura go. Enough is enough.
calm down, have you had your meds yet today?
Old 04-20-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing he'll go to Tampa Bay....they've already signed a dozen or so other washed up free agents....
Old 04-20-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

In the ulitmate move of irony, I could easily see Dick Vermeil and the Chefs signing Warner to back up Trent Green.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.