Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

do you need to start a game to get a complete game?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-19-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

tigers had bases loaded, 4 runs in with no outs in the first... rain delay allowed the indians to bring in a reliever... he's retired 16 in a row since...

if he were to finish the game retiring all 27 batters, but didn't start the game would he get credit for a complete game? how about a perfect game? hmm....
Old 04-19-04, 10:14 PM
Stealth Moderator

No. And no.

You have to make every pitch for your team to get either.
Old 04-20-04, 01:24 AM

Here's a great example:

On June 23, 1917, Babe Ruth started a game against the Washington Senators. Ruth walked lead-off batter Ray Morgan, and griped to plate umpire Brick Owens after each pitch. On ball four, Ruth became so enraged that he punched Owens, in the face and was ejected. (Babe was not fined, but drew a 10-day suspension. Baseball is SOOO tame nowadays. )

Anyway, Ernie Shore relieved Babe Ruth. Ray Morgan was then caught trying to steal. Shore went on to retire all 26 men he faced.

But because he didn't start, his perfect game is not considered official. What a crock!
Old 04-20-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by DarkElf
Here's a great example:

On June 23, 1917, Babe Ruth started a game against the Washington Senators. Ruth walked lead-off batter Ray Morgan, and griped to plate umpire Brick Owens after each pitch. On ball four, Ruth became so enraged that he punched Owens, in the face and was ejected. (Babe was not fined, but drew a 10-day suspension. Baseball is SOOO tame nowadays. )

Anyway, Ernie Shore relieved Babe Ruth. Ray Morgan was then caught trying to steal. Shore went on to retire all 26 men he faced.

But because he didn't start, his perfect game is not considered official. What a crock!
wholly shit. please tell me you looked that up rather than knowing that off the top of your head.
Old 04-20-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
wholly shit. please tell me you looked that up rather than knowing that off the top of your head.
I'm not speaking for DarkElf, but I can say the Indians announcers talked about it during the game.
Old 04-20-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew that story as well.
Old 04-20-04, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
No, I don't know all that off the top of my head. I had to refresh my memory on the details, but you know where I first heard about the whole story? One of the bonus features on the "For Love Of The Game" DVD. They had one feature that dealt with all the perfect games in MLB history, and devoted a section to Ernie Shore's achievement. I learned a lot from it.

That was an excellent DVD, BTW. There's a great short movie featuring Babe Ruth joining a bunch of kids in a baseball game and instructing them. He teaches them how to slide and he rips the seat of his nice dress trousers. Hilarious. Babe's movie alone is worth the price of the DVD. Plus it's actually a pretty good movie too (IMO).
Old 04-20-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by DarkElf
Here's a great example:

I also know that story. I believe he did get credit for a perfect game for many years but they retroactively changed the rules awhile back and took it away as well as a bunch of other no hitters where there was some technicality (such as only pitching eight innings in a loss). I believe Harvey Haddix's perfect game which he lost in the 13th inning (perfect until then) was also taken away. I haven't looked anything up so I might be wrong.

Last edited by movielib; 04-20-04 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember reading a list of perfect games and this one had an asterik next to it.