Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

T-Mac might get shipped to Chicago!!!!!

Old 04-19-04, 04:58 PM
Banned

T-Mac might get shipped to Chicago!!!!!

Rumor has it, that Orlando knows that McGrady will opt out next year, and wants to get something for him.
Orlando has offered McGrady for the Bulls #1 pick this year(if it is the #1 pick). Orlando is supposedly VERY HIGH on Emeka Okafor, and feel that he is the player they want to start building their franchise around. Plus, they would get their pick this year as well, which could be Dwight Howard, Luol Deng or Point Guard Shaun Livingston. Orlando could immediately become a contender overnight with this trade, and if, and that's a HUGE IF Grant Hill can come back and be half the player he was, Orlando could be a very respectable team again.
Chicago, would then have one of the most exciting starting lineups in the NBA....Heinrich,McGrady,Chandler,Curry, and almost certainbly with a new coach(Byron Scott would be ideal) they would really go far!!!!!!

I hope this trade happens for both parties.
Old 04-19-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're kinda forgetting that Crawford guy in Chicago too.
Old 04-19-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It would take Chandler, Crawford AND the #1 pick to get McGrady. And what on earth makes you think that two rookies, especially with the inexperience of Deng and Howard, could make the Magic competitive?

And how many times will we see the phrase "x player, who the Magic can build around" before this team actually does something post-O'Neil?
Old 04-19-04, 05:07 PM
Retired

Originally posted by El Scorcho
You're kinda forgetting that Crawford guy in Chicago too.
That was my thought. As a Magic fan, even though I like T-mac, the team could get better faster by trading him.

They could get Crawford, and maybe Chandler or Curry as well, and have two high picks to use on Okafor and another top prospect.

But who knows. I think McGrady is really just throwing his weight around to force them to make some major moves to get better. They could get rid of Howard, draft Okafor and still be pretty decent.

Plus there's always the minute chance that Hill could finally be healthy enough to play at a decent level, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Old 04-19-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Even with T-Mac, the Bulls will still stink. The whole team have zero concept regarding the philosophy of playing defense, and will continue to suck until they either wake up, or have a real coach in place to straighten them out...
Old 04-19-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVD Josh
It would take Chandler, Crawford AND the #1 pick to get McGrady. And what on earth makes you think that two rookies, especially with the inexperience of Deng and Howard, could make the Magic competitive?

And how many times will we see the phrase "x player, who the Magic can build around" before this team actually does something post-O'Neil?
That's what I thought was weird about the deal; it doesn't really address many of the needs of the Magic. If you can't build around McGrady, then who can you build around?
Old 04-19-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually...Chicago might trade Chandler and Crawford + ? to get Abdur-Rahim.
Old 04-19-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

I follow no basketball, but the sports talk guys all here in Phoenix have been talking about how McGrady wants to come to Phoenix. The rumor was Shawn Marion and another player or a draft pick for him. Not sure if they could even afford to keep him in the long run.
Old 04-19-04, 05:10 PM
Retired

Originally posted by TheDude
If you can't build around McGrady, then who can you build around?
They want to build around McGrady, but he doesn't want to wait for them to rebuild.

This wouldn't be a case of trading him to fix their needs, but rather just trading him and getting some very good players in return, rather than him just walking after next year and getting nothing as they did when Shaq f'ed them.
Old 04-19-04, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Actually...Chicago might trade Chandler and Crawford + ? to get Abdur-Rahim.
Chicago would have to be insane to do that deal. Heck, three years ago da Bulls traded away Elton Brand to get Chandler, and what has he done exactly in the past three seasons?
Old 04-19-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He'd be better off there instead of O-Town!
Old 04-19-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See here's a big concern for the Magic. If they get #1, they are faced with Howard, Deng and Okafor. The problem is that they do not need any of those positions. This team needs a PG and C.

I do not feel like Okafor projects to a great pro. He reminds me alot of Marcus Fizer. It's a damn shame that you can't be 6' 8" and play PF in this league, but that's reality. Deng has the most potential of the top picks in my mind, but he projects as a 2, not a 3. And they will never give up on Grant Hill, even though Hill should be a man and call it quits. He's got the cash.
Old 04-19-04, 05:30 PM

Grant Hill is so done they can't even put a fork in him anymore...
Old 04-19-04, 05:34 PM
Retired

I think Okafor could play the PF, especially in the East. I don't think he's like Fizer at all. He's much more of an inside presence, especially defensively than Fizer ever was.
Old 04-19-04, 05:39 PM
Banned

Orlando....this makes sense

You stated above that Orlando needs a Point Guard. Then, with Chicago's pick(assuming they ship McGrady to them) they can draft Shaun Livingston a 6-7 Point Guard out of Peoria High. He's probably one of the best all around point guards. The only real problem with him, is that he is wafer thin(175pounds). But if the Magic, really wants to "start from scratch", this is the way to go. Livingston is like how Penny Hardaway use to be when he was a Rookie, but even better court awareness and handles. I also think the Magic would benefit in the long-run with Howard more than with Okafor.
If the magic really need a Center, then they can trade down and draft Pavel Podokelzine, who at 7-5, is a very nice prospect.
Still, Orlando's best bet, is to trade McGrady....get that extra #1 pick.... use the first pick to draft Dwight Howard and the second pick on Shaun Livingston. Yes, the Magic will likely suck next year, but would you rather start over, or put a band-aid over the situation and let T-mac walk next year and get nothing. Plus, Howard and Livingston are extremly coachable and have great work ethics.
Old 04-19-04, 05:39 PM

Okafor has a nice-sized wingspan, so that makes up for his height. Elton Brand is the same height and has a big wingspan as well.
Old 04-19-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I think Okafor could play the PF, especially in the East. I don't think he's like Fizer at all. He's much more of an inside presence, especially defensively than Fizer ever was.
True. The Fizer comparison was meant as a similar player - very talented, but the dredded "tweener". Okafor's main problem is that he's a center in an NBA SF body.
Old 04-19-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Orlando can't get any worse than they were this year, and really trading McGrady won't matter much either. I mean they're not going to win any titles with or without him in the near future. But I wouldn't call Orlando a powerhouse with two top picks. And it seems kinda low for McGrady (although Brand went for a #2 pick)
Old 04-19-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the moral of this story is that the Magic will always suck.
Old 04-19-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What are the chances that other teams will just wait until T-Mac options out next year and get him and keep their draft picks?
I do wish Chicago could assemble the makings of a team, I hate nto having a single favorite pro team miss the playoffs for the past 3+ years.
Old 04-19-04, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Jericho
Orlando can't get any worse than they were this year, and really trading McGrady won't matter much either. I mean they're not going to win any titles with or without him in the near future. But I wouldn't call Orlando a powerhouse with two top picks. And it seems kinda low for McGrady (although Brand went for a #2 pick)
Exactly!

The most recent example of a team "starting from scratch" would be the Bulls again. Krause traded Brand for the #2 pick, and wind up with the 2nd and 4th pick three years ago, and turned them into Chandler and Curry. After three seasons, what exactly has the Bulls done that indicates that they have a bright future ahead of them?
Old 04-19-04, 06:23 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Re: T-Mac might get shipped to Chicago!!!!!

Crawford is a restricted FA and I doubt the Bulls are going to match any offer for him since Skiles and Paxson hate him.

Originally posted by Dalvin
Chicago, would then have one of the most exciting starting lineups in the NBA....almost certainbly with a new coach(Byron Scott would be ideal) they would really go far!!!!!
uh, Skiles isn't going anywhere. It's going to take Paxson a few years to clean up the mess Jerry Krause left him and he said Skiles is his coach.

Last edited by MrX; 04-19-04 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: T-Mac might get shipped to Chicago!!!!!

Originally posted by MrX
Crawford is a restricted FA and I doubt the Bulls are going to match any offer for him since Skiles and Paxson hate him.
Actually, Paxson has been telling fellow GM's that he plans to match any offers they put out on Jamal Crawford. It's most likely that the Bulls will sign Crawford and then trade him. I like Jamal, but I don't think he will be in a Bulls' Uni next year.
Old 04-19-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DVD Josh
True. The Fizer comparison was meant as a similar player - very talented, but the dredded "tweener". Okafor's main problem is that he's a center in an NBA SF body.
I think Okafor (and his body) are plenty capable of playing the 4 in the pros. And the Fizer comparison was terrible. I'd compare him to Elton Brand (w/out the range) if I compared him to anybody. Hopefully he won't get stuck on a team like the Clippers.

The Bulls should trade the three C's (Crawford, Chandler and Curry) for McGrady.

Last edited by B.A.; 04-19-04 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 08:06 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Orlando....this makes sense

Originally posted by Dalvin
they can draft Shaun Livingston a 6-7 Point Guard out of Peoria High. He's probably one of the best all around point guards. The only real problem with him, is that he is wafer thin(175pounds). But if the Magic, really wants to "start from scratch", this is the way to go. Livingston is like how Penny Hardaway use to be when he was a Rookie, but even better court awareness and handles...... Howard and Livingston are extremly coachable and have great work ethics.
I've seen Livingston play probably 10-15 times and he is a long way away from contributing in the NBA. He has great court vision and might be a better ball handler then Penny but he is not close to being the scorer Penny was.

I don't know where you got he's coachable from. His coach from his old high school quit coaching after having to deal with him and his father.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.