Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWE Backlash 2004

Old 04-19-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WWE Backlash 2004

No Backlash thread?

Someone else can post the results since I haven't watched it yet. Here's the card run down:

World Heavyweight Championship - Triple Threat
Chris Benoit vs. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels

Intercontinental Championship - Hardcore Match
Cactus Jack vs. Randy Orton

Chris Jericho vs. Christian & Trish Stratus

Edge vs. Kane

Shelton Benjamin vs. Ric Flair

Women’s Championship
Lita vs. Victoria

Tajiri vs. Jonathan Coachman
Old 04-19-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Guess everyone was busy with the Alias/Sopranos/24 logjam tonite...[and L&O:CI for me]

Cactus Jack vs. Randy Orton Intercontinental Championship

Undoubtedly, Cactus Jack is a hardcore legend. On this night, however, not only did Randy Orton defeat the legend, he may have even solidified himself as one.

Chris Jericho vs. Christian & Trish Stratus

Chris Jericho was finally able to gain a measure of revenge at Backlash when he defeated both Trish Stratus and Christian.

Edge vs. Kane

After a lengthy absence from the ring, Edge showed no ring rust as he defeated Kane via pinfall.

Shelton Benjamin vs. Ric Flair

Shelton Benjamin is on the biggest roll of his career. At Backlash he defeated the great Ric Flair after a top rope clothesline.

Lita vs. Victoria Women's Championship

Victoria retained the Women's Championship at Backlash by defeating Lita.

Tajiri vs. Jonathan Coachman

Jonathan Coachman actually defeated the skilled Tajiri. However, the win did come with controversy, as Garrison Cade interfered on Coachman's behalf.

Hurricane & Rosey vs. La Resistance

The Hurricane & Rosey defeated La Resistance in a tag team match.
Old 04-19-04, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

looks like it went down pretty much as expected
Old 04-19-04, 08:47 AM

I was going to do a Backlash Thread, but the last 3 weeks I tried on a RAW thread, I was the only one there.

Awe, poor little Fathead, YOU LITTLE LOSER.

Haha

I will try one more week. LOL
Old 04-19-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by FatHead316
I was going to do a Backlash Thread, but the last 3 weeks I tried on a RAW thread, I was the only one there.

Awe, poor little Fathead, YOU LITTLE LOSER.

Haha

I will try one more week. LOL

I wouldnt take it like that, fathead. There is a pretty faithful following of the WWE here. But the posters generally dont make it a number 1 priority anymore. People still post when its on sometimes, but more than likely, they will tivo it or leave it on in the backround. Its not like the MLB or Laker threads where there are alot of people watching it at the same time.

And regarding the PPVs, I dont think anyone here gets them religiously so there isnt usually a thread about it. But feel free to start one if you want. And I probably dont speak for everyone, but personally I would like it for a PPV thread to be started with the results posted if someone ordered it.
Old 04-19-04, 10:54 AM

Well I didn't order it either. But I was reading every 30 mins or so on a wrestling news website.

OTHER THEN THAT, I WILL CONTINUE MY QUEST TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL WRESTLING THREAD HERE!!

Hahaha

And I am going to change my handle to Eugene316
Old 04-19-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm either at a bar or a friend's for PPV, always at a friend's for Raw/SD so I can't sit in a thread and type as I watch (nor would I really want to). But I do enjoy discussing before/after.

My thoughts on Backlash.

Missed most of the Flair/Benjamin match.. but Benji won so it's all good.

Coash vs Tajiri.. seemed alright.. I'm not too fond of non-wrestlers wreslting, but Coach held up for what it was worth.

Jericho vs Christian & Trish.. great match, not as good as the WM match but I enjoyed it. Iwas hoping for one more Christian win before Jericho got his ups though.

Man-Woman vs Victoria.. average mixed gender match. Lita botched at least one move I noticed, as per the usual. Victoria as face = BOOOOO.

Orton vs Foley.. Wow. Just, wow! Orton rules so much.

Tag Crap Match.. will not comment on the match, but I will comment that Eugene is probably the lowest WWE has gone since Katie Vick. I'm not sure if WWE's target audience is 13 and 14 year old boys, but I can't see anybody with even a tiny fraction of common sense or maturity finding this entertaining.

Edge vs Kane.. don't like either of them. Kane's matches are always boring, this was no exception. The spear is a stupid move.

Main Event.. great, super excellent. I love matches that the crowd are into as much as this.. it'll make bad matches entertaining (Goldberg vs Brock) and great matches even greater. I called Benoit putting HBK in the sharpshooter but I didn't expect him to tap to it. Good spots all around, nice spanish annouce table spot by HBK. Great counters by Benoit as always. Nice submissions by HBK and Benoit. Just a notch below the WM match in my opinion.

Overall a good PPV. I'd like to say great but there were more average/boring matches than good, even though the goods took up the most time (2 30 minut matches!!!).. it's hard to rate something as great when they want you to laugh at a handicapped person, give Hurricane and Rosey PPV time over Val Venis and Matt Hardy, and anything with Man-woman. I've just gotten used to Kane stinking everything up though, so I won't count it against the overall score.
Old 04-19-04, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket

Tag Crap Match.. will not comment on the match, but I will comment that Eugene is probably the lowest WWE has gone since Katie Vick. I'm not sure if WWE's target audience is 13 and 14 year old boys, but I can't see anybody with even a tiny fraction of common sense or maturity finding this entertaining.

....it's hard to rate something as great when they want you to laugh at a handicapped person,
Oh come on.

(Before I get started, nice Katie Vick referance, but I think the Big Shows Father really passing away, and making that storyline was MUCH lower then either. Ala, Show riding on the coffen of his father while Bossman drives it away. Actually, Pepper comes to mind too.)

Eugene is funny as hell. I will admit it, I am 28 years old, and I think it is funny as hell. It adds some unpredictibility to the shows. Will I admit it is low? God yes, its low. But is it funny? GOD YES ITS FUNNY. Look at Timmy on south park, it is still poking fun at that group. Is it less funny cus it is a cartoon. Look at Corky on Life Goes on, was that insulting. No it was funny. (Yes I realize that it was supposed to be serious). But bottom line, people that have problems like that are funny at times. And the truth is, some of them know it. Do you think that if you walked up to a 350lbs man and called him a fat slob, that you would be telling him something he didn't know? No.

I know I am comming off as insensitive here, and I am not. It is ment for entertainment, not to be vicious. Ever think that the "special" community would actually be happy that their segment of the population is being represented? People should check that kind of stuff out before stepping to bat for something that might not be offending the large part of that population

And to build a little respect back for me I tell this story. Since I was a young teen I defended people with issues. I was at summer camp, and a friend of mine with problems was riding his bike. The other kids threw rocks at him and he cried. They did it cus he was retarded. Cus he talked with a REAL high voice. He was like 25 or something and had the mind of a 10 year old. We were 12-13 years old. I kicked the ever loveing hell out of those kids. Why? Cus THAT is vicious. Greg (the "special kids" name) appreciated my help. And we hung out a lot, before and after that. And to be honest with you, we watched wrestling every time we hung out. His energy level was lower then a normal kids, and went to bed eariler, so I taped it for him, and would watch it with him the next day after school. (That kid loved Jake the Snake) Did I joke on him cus he was retarted? You're damn right I did. Did he respect me for it, you're damn right he did. Cus I was the only person that treated him "normal"

So I am not a heartless person, but come on, if we can't laugh at stuff, we are headed down a pretty dark, depressing road here. If anyone with "special" issues would like to chime in, do it. If I am wrong, tell me. If I am not, tell me.
Old 04-19-04, 12:57 PM
Banned

I thought it was all pretty solid. IC and World Title matches lifted the show and were great all around, IMO.
Old 04-19-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two good matches don't make a great show. This PPV was really, really bad. The opener was boring, Edge vs. Kane was a joke (the two have NO chemistry whatsoever), Tajiri vs. Coachman on PPV? Please. The Christian/Jericho matches are always exactly the same, and giving Rosey & Hurricane a match was a mistake.

The WWE needs to reevaluate their product, severely.
Old 04-19-04, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Tarantino
Edge vs. Kane was a joke (the two have NO chemistry whatsoever)
Kane sucks, period, since having the mask removed. And its the WWE's fault there. His "burned face, and messed up hair" seemed to be too much for the make up department, so HEY HERE'S AN IDEA, lets have it all be in his head. YEAH THATS IT. Now here's a new one, lets have him feud with.....THE UNDERTAKER!!! What a great new idea.

Kane was cool as hell back in the day, but he needs to do something, cus he just doesn't work anymore.

Kane and Coack get a job on Sunday, but 1/2 of the Tag team champs sits on the sideline? No love for Big Dave?
Old 04-19-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pics are up on the official site.

Randy Orton's back:

Old 04-19-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Was Foley/Orton all that the match summaries claim it was....?
Old 04-19-04, 03:09 PM
Banned

WWE PPV's are getting pretty boring in my opinion... I refuse to buy any Smackdown PPV's. I mean seriously their main event is going to be Bradshaw and Guerrero, give me a break. The only saving grace of Backlash was Foley/Orton. They put on a show last night, and I havn't been that drawn into a match on a PPV since TLC at WM 17. The match was also pretty funny, the ref went to count to three on Randy's first RKO and after he got to two he got thumbtacks in his hand, he looked pretty pissed out it too. He came out for the main event match with a wrap around his hand. I don't even know how people are saying Blacklash's triple threat was better than WM XX's. WM was by far better than last night. Just because HBK tapped out to the sharpshooter doesn't make it the best match ever. Bret lost 7 years ago, get over it. All in all, I only spend $12 during the monthly PPV's (besides WM which was $15) since I go in on them with 2 other people. $12 for Backlash was well worth it, they should be paying us to watch Judgement day.
Old 04-19-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

poor smackdown.......

I seriously think they will Bring back Koko B Ware and make believe he is sleeping with the bird. Then will have a break my back match with Mean Gene.
Old 04-19-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was surprised WWE charged over $30 for this PPV.
Old 04-20-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by chrisih8u
And regarding the PPVs, I dont think anyone here gets them religiously so there isnt usually a thread about it.
I've seen every WWE PPV for probably the last couple of years.

I thought Backlash was okay. It had it's moments.
Old 04-21-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

? about the tacks. Were they real or just the top w/out the stick?
Old 04-21-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe they were real. Orton's back had little puncture wounds. I think they also showed a close up of the thumbtacks and they looked pointy.