Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Larry Walker finds dead body on his property...

Old 04-18-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Larry Walker finds dead body on his property...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1785220

EVERGREEN, Colo. -- Colorado Rockies outfielder Larry Walker discovered the body of an unidentified man Sunday on his property near Evergreen.

Walker called the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office after spotting the body while he was riding an all-terrain vehicle in the mountain community west of Denver, said sheriff's spokeswoman Jacki Tallman.

The body was in a wooded area near a trail on his property and not near Walker's home, Tallman said.

"Mr. Walker is not a suspect," she said. "We don't know if the person was killed at the site or if his body was dumped there."

Walker is on the disabled list and not traveling with the team.

Nice to know that despite being on the DL and that he's not travellng with the team, he's well enough to be riding around on an ATV.
Old 04-18-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Larry Walker's a murderer, a MURDERER!
Old 04-18-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by the aftermath
Larry Walker's a murderer, a MURDERER!
No he's not. He's Canadian, silly.
Old 04-18-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So that'd make him a Royal Canadian Mounted Murderer then. That, or a complete pansy.
Old 04-18-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by B.A.
No he's not. He's Canadian, silly.
Oh that's right, a pacifist.
Old 04-18-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by El Scorcho
That, or a complete pansy.
He is injured a lot of the time.
Old 04-19-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by B.A.
He is injured a lot of the time.

That's because he's juiced!
Old 04-19-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Larry Walker finds dead body on his property...

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1785220

EVERGREEN, Colo. -- Colorado Rockies outfielder Larry Walker discovered the body of an unidentified man Sunday on his property near Evergreen.

Walker called the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office after spotting the body while he was riding an all-terrain vehicle in the mountain community west of Denver, said sheriff's spokeswoman Jacki Tallman.

The body was in a wooded area near a trail on his property and not near Walker's home, Tallman said.

"Mr. Walker is not a suspect," she said. "We don't know if the person was killed at the site or if his body was dumped there."

Walker is on the disabled list and not traveling with the team.

Nice to know that despite being on the DL and that he's not travellng with the team, he's well enough to be riding around on an ATV.
I didn't realize riding an ATV required a clean bill of health
Old 04-19-04, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Re: Larry Walker finds dead body on his property...

Originally posted by fumanstan
I didn't realize riding an ATV required a clean bill of health
I never said it does. However, we can all remember several incidents such as Aaron Boone's and Jeff Kent's within the past few years where they got hurt doing stupid stuff. It would seem that ATV riding is pretty high risk and should be avoided during the season.
Old 04-19-04, 02:19 AM

Misread the subject header as "Julie Walker."

Carry on.
Old 04-19-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's interesting about this is that Walker was riding a SUV on his property when he found the body.

Walker is presently on the DL with a groin strain. I don't think I'd be able to straddle a SUV with a grain strain, and I bet you Walker can't either.

This guy is a complete fraud.
Old 04-19-04, 05:32 PM
Retired

Re: Re: Re: Larry Walker finds dead body on his property...

It would seem that ATV riding is pretty high risk and should be avoided during the season.
Depends on what he was doing. If he's flying around at high speeds, jumps etc., then I agree.

But it sounds like he has a lot of property and could have just been using it to do chores, check the property etc. In which case that's relatively low risk, and not much different that using a riding lawn mower.
Old 04-19-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DVD Josh
What's interesting about this is that Walker was riding a SUV on his property when he found the body.

Walker is presently on the DL with a groin strain. I don't think I'd be able to straddle a SUV with a grain strain, and I bet you Walker can't either.

This guy is a complete fraud.
You need to straddle a SUV to "ride" it?

Old 04-19-04, 05:37 PM
Retired

I've road an ATV with a groin pull, it's not that bad. It's the same as sitting in chair with your legs like 18 inches apart, well with in the normal range of motion for anyone, much less an athlete. Thus it might hurt if it's really stiff and sore, but if he's been hurt for a while, it's likely not that bad anymore. It's just not something you can go back to playing on as soon as it stops hurting, as it needs to be rehabbed and get strength back or you'll just re-injure it when you run hard, or slip and spread your legs to far (way past what's require to ride an ATV).
Old 04-19-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My point is that he has a contract to play baseball. If he's well enough to ride an SUV, he's well enough to play RF.
Old 04-19-04, 05:40 PM
Retired

Originally posted by DVD Josh
My point is that he has a contract to play baseball. If he's well enough to ride an SUV, he's well enough to play RF.
As I said above, you have to rehab a groin. Riding an SUV doesn't tax the groin much, playing baseball (with the running, jumping, and sliding most certainly does).

It has to regain strength, not simply stop hurting, or it will simply be reinjured, most likely worse than before.
Old 04-19-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
As I said above, you have to rehab a groin. Riding an SUV doesn't tax the groin much, playing baseball (with the running, jumping, and sliding most certainly does).

It has to regain strength, not simply stop hurting, or it will simply be reinjured, most likely worse than before.
I mostly just hate how Walker is always on the DL. I'm not even a Rockies fan. I hate players that make millions on the DL.
Old 04-19-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Almost certainly, riding an ATV is strictly prohibited by his contract. Whether he is doing so at high speeds or not is irrelevant. It is the norm to have a number of restrictions on free-time activities in an athlete's contract.
Old 04-19-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was it his career?
Old 04-19-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah a similar situation occurred last year when he was "unable to compete on the field" and he goes rock climbing... his career has just about come to an end.
Old 04-19-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dead man on his property and the arguement is over the wellness to ride an ATV or play baseball.
Old 04-21-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7272188

The body has been ID'ed. Surprisingly, it was not Walker's health and fitness advisor. But he may be able to seek a groin transplant if the body is fresh enough.
Old 04-21-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mad Dawg

The body has been ID'ed. Surprisingly, it was not Walker's health and fitness advisor. But he may be able to seek a groin transplant if the body is fresh enough.
From that article: "Walker discovered the body Sunday while four-wheeling with his toddler daughter. He is not considered a suspect."

Unless he's a complete moran, I think it's safe to say that he wasn't doing anything dangerous.
Old 04-21-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by LurkerDan
From that article: "Walker discovered the body Sunday while four-wheeling with his toddler daughter. He is not considered a suspect."

Unless he's a complete moran, I think it's safe to say that he wasn't doing anything dangerous.
Wow, his toddler daughter got mad skillz.
Old 04-21-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Mad Dawg

dude, seriously, you are killing me!