Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Larry Walker finds dead body on his property...

Old 04-18-04, 10:05 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,819
Larry Walker finds dead body on his property...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1785220

EVERGREEN, Colo. -- Colorado Rockies outfielder Larry Walker discovered the body of an unidentified man Sunday on his property near Evergreen.

Walker called the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office after spotting the body while he was riding an all-terrain vehicle in the mountain community west of Denver, said sheriff's spokeswoman Jacki Tallman.

The body was in a wooded area near a trail on his property and not near Walker's home, Tallman said.

"Mr. Walker is not a suspect," she said. "We don't know if the person was killed at the site or if his body was dumped there."

Walker is on the disabled list and not traveling with the team.



Nice to know that despite being on the DL and that he's not travellng with the team, he's well enough to be riding around on an ATV.
Deftones is offline  
Old 04-18-04, 10:30 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In my mind.
Posts: 7,694
Larry Walker's a murderer, a MURDERER!
the aftermath is offline  
Old 04-18-04, 10:32 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,317
Originally posted by the aftermath
Larry Walker's a murderer, a MURDERER!
No he's not. He's Canadian, silly.
B.A. is offline  
Old 04-18-04, 10:38 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
So that'd make him a Royal Canadian Mounted Murderer then. That, or a complete pansy.
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 04-18-04, 11:02 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In my mind.
Posts: 7,694
Originally posted by B.A.
No he's not. He's Canadian, silly.
Oh that's right, a pacifist.
the aftermath is offline  
Old 04-18-04, 11:07 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,317
Originally posted by El Scorcho
That, or a complete pansy.
He is injured a lot of the time.
B.A. is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 12:51 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: in Bush territory!
Posts: 11,613
Originally posted by B.A.
He is injured a lot of the time.

That's because he's juiced!
wabio is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 01:32 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Larry Walker finds dead body on his property...

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1785220

EVERGREEN, Colo. -- Colorado Rockies outfielder Larry Walker discovered the body of an unidentified man Sunday on his property near Evergreen.

Walker called the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office after spotting the body while he was riding an all-terrain vehicle in the mountain community west of Denver, said sheriff's spokeswoman Jacki Tallman.

The body was in a wooded area near a trail on his property and not near Walker's home, Tallman said.

"Mr. Walker is not a suspect," she said. "We don't know if the person was killed at the site or if his body was dumped there."

Walker is on the disabled list and not traveling with the team.



Nice to know that despite being on the DL and that he's not travellng with the team, he's well enough to be riding around on an ATV.
I didn't realize riding an ATV required a clean bill of health
fumanstan is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 01:36 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,819
Re: Re: Larry Walker finds dead body on his property...

Originally posted by fumanstan
I didn't realize riding an ATV required a clean bill of health
I never said it does. However, we can all remember several incidents such as Aaron Boone's and Jeff Kent's within the past few years where they got hurt doing stupid stuff. It would seem that ATV riding is pretty high risk and should be avoided during the season.
Deftones is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 02:19 AM
  #10  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
Misread the subject header as "Julie Walker."

Carry on.
Groucho is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 05:29 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,780
What's interesting about this is that Walker was riding a SUV on his property when he found the body.

Walker is presently on the DL with a groin strain. I don't think I'd be able to straddle a SUV with a grain strain, and I bet you Walker can't either.

This guy is a complete fraud.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 05:32 PM
  #12  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Re: Re: Re: Larry Walker finds dead body on his property...

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
It would seem that ATV riding is pretty high risk and should be avoided during the season.
Depends on what he was doing. If he's flying around at high speeds, jumps etc., then I agree.

But it sounds like he has a lot of property and could have just been using it to do chores, check the property etc. In which case that's relatively low risk, and not much different that using a riding lawn mower.
Josh H is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 05:33 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
~~ PAL ~~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 3,261
Originally posted by DVD Josh
What's interesting about this is that Walker was riding a SUV on his property when he found the body.

Walker is presently on the DL with a groin strain. I don't think I'd be able to straddle a SUV with a grain strain, and I bet you Walker can't either.

This guy is a complete fraud.
You need to straddle a SUV to "ride" it?





~~ PAL ~~ is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 05:37 PM
  #14  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
I've road an ATV with a groin pull, it's not that bad. It's the same as sitting in chair with your legs like 18 inches apart, well with in the normal range of motion for anyone, much less an athlete. Thus it might hurt if it's really stiff and sore, but if he's been hurt for a while, it's likely not that bad anymore. It's just not something you can go back to playing on as soon as it stops hurting, as it needs to be rehabbed and get strength back or you'll just re-injure it when you run hard, or slip and spread your legs to far (way past what's require to ride an ATV).
Josh H is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 05:38 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,780
My point is that he has a contract to play baseball. If he's well enough to ride an SUV, he's well enough to play RF.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 05:40 PM
  #16  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Originally posted by DVD Josh
My point is that he has a contract to play baseball. If he's well enough to ride an SUV, he's well enough to play RF.
As I said above, you have to rehab a groin. Riding an SUV doesn't tax the groin much, playing baseball (with the running, jumping, and sliding most certainly does).

It has to regain strength, not simply stop hurting, or it will simply be reinjured, most likely worse than before.
Josh H is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 05:58 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,780
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
As I said above, you have to rehab a groin. Riding an SUV doesn't tax the groin much, playing baseball (with the running, jumping, and sliding most certainly does).

It has to regain strength, not simply stop hurting, or it will simply be reinjured, most likely worse than before.
I mostly just hate how Walker is always on the DL. I'm not even a Rockies fan. I hate players that make millions on the DL.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 06:09 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 17,238
Almost certainly, riding an ATV is strictly prohibited by his contract. Whether he is doing so at high speeds or not is irrelevant. It is the norm to have a number of restrictions on free-time activities in an athlete's contract.
Jeremy517 is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 06:24 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,964
Re: Larry Walker finds dead body on his property...

Was it his career?
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 06:47 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,691
Re: Larry Walker finds dead body on his property...

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Nice to know that despite being on the DL and that he's not travellng with the team, he's well enough to be riding around on an ATV.
Yeah a similar situation occurred last year when he was "unable to compete on the field" and he goes rock climbing... his career has just about come to an end.
SuprVgeta is offline  
Old 04-19-04, 09:12 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 6,259
Dead man on his property and the arguement is over the wellness to ride an ATV or play baseball.
POWERBOMB is offline  
Old 04-21-04, 03:07 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 12,008
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7272188

The body has been ID'ed. Surprisingly, it was not Walker's health and fitness advisor. But he may be able to seek a groin transplant if the body is fresh enough.
Mad Dawg is offline  
Old 04-21-04, 03:20 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,998
Originally posted by Mad Dawg
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7272188

The body has been ID'ed. Surprisingly, it was not Walker's health and fitness advisor. But he may be able to seek a groin transplant if the body is fresh enough.
From that article: "Walker discovered the body Sunday while four-wheeling with his toddler daughter. He is not considered a suspect."

Unless he's a complete moran, I think it's safe to say that he wasn't doing anything dangerous.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 04-21-04, 04:29 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 6,719
Originally posted by LurkerDan
From that article: "Walker discovered the body Sunday while four-wheeling with his toddler daughter. He is not considered a suspect."

Unless he's a complete moran, I think it's safe to say that he wasn't doing anything dangerous.
Wow, his toddler daughter got mad skillz.
rabbit77 is offline  
Old 04-21-04, 04:36 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,819
Originally posted by Mad Dawg
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7272188

The body has been ID'ed. Surprisingly, it was not Walker's health and fitness advisor. But he may be able to seek a groin transplant if the body is fresh enough.
dude, seriously, you are killing me!
Deftones is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.