Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

FBI arrests (St. Louis Blues) Danton in San Jose

Old 04-17-04, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FBI arrests (St. Louis Blues) Danton in San Jose

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1784155

ST. LOUIS -- A center for the St. Louis Blues was charged in San Jose, Calif., on Friday in an alleged plot to kill an acquaintance he feared could ruin his career, the FBI said.

Mike Danton, 23, was arrested at Norman Mineta International Airport around 8 a.m. -- hours after his team was knocked out of the NHL playoffs Thursday night by the San Jose Sharks.

According to a criminal complaint filed in federal court in Illinois, Danton told a female friend that a hitman from Canada was coming to kill him and asked the woman if she knew someone who would kill the person for $10,000.

She passed his call to another man, described as a "cooperating witness," who spoke with Danton beginning Wednesday.

Danton and the woman, Katie Wolfmeyer, 19, face federal charges of conspiring and using a telephone across state lines to set up a murder. It could not be determined where they were being held Friday night.

A spokesman for the hockey team, Frank Buonomo, declined comment Friday, saying in a statement, "The matter is in the hands of law enforcement officials and the judicial system."

The Blues could not immediately put The Associated Press in touch with an agent or lawyer for Danton.

The FBI witness and Danton spoke again on Thursday, and Danton allegedly hatched a plot where the witness could kill the "hitman" at Danton's apartment and make it look like two burglars had broken in, one being killed and the other making off with $3,000 Danton had in a safe.

The complaint alleges that Danton actually was trying to kill a male acquaintance after an argument Tuesday in which the two fought over Danton's "promiscuity and use of alcohol." The complaint said Danton feared the acquaintance, who is not named, would talk to St. Louis Blues management and ruin Danton's career.

In a telephone call recorded by authorities, the acquaintance asked why Danton wanted to kill him. According to the complaint, Danton broke down and sobbed, and explained that he ordered the killing because he "felt the acquaintance was going to leave him."

Authorities said Friday they have no reason to believe that the acquaintance or anyone else had been planning to kill Danton. "We couldn't confirm that to be accurate," said Marshall Stone, supervisory FBI special agent in Springfield, Ill.

Danton, formerly known as Mike Jefferson, was suspended twice by the New Jersey Devils, who eventually traded him to St. Louis in June. He had seven goals, 12 points and 141 penalty minutes in 68 games this season with the Blues.

The name change came during the 2002 offseason after a "buildup of incidents" and difficulties with his family, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported in September. His new surname came from one of his students at hockey school.

The Devils suspended him in February 2003 for refusing to report to the AHL's Albany River Rats after he complained about playing time and was sent to the minors.

"What happened with New Jersey is behind me, completely," Danton told the paper last fall. "Just getting this fresh start -- I'll do anything I can to help."
Old 04-17-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This was all over the news yesterday - it's seems rather pathetic.

Interesting - I never knew about the name change. He's almost like Joey Belle, w/out the talent.
Old 04-17-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew he was a headcase when he was in New Jersey... just didn't picture something like this.
Old 04-17-04, 10:08 AM

I wonder if they waiting until wait until the series was over before they arrested him, or was it just a coincidence.
Old 04-17-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, if I am reading this correctly, he ordered a hit because he felt that this male acquaintance was going to leave him and tell the team about his "promiscuity and use of alcohol"?
Old 04-17-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw on the TSN preshow that he was actually living with the guy who hit put a hit out on.
Old 04-17-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wow...that's pretty messed up....but i'm curious about the wording in all of this: "Leave him?" was this a lovers quarrel?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

It continues: "Danton begged the acquaintance not to go to the general manager of the St. Louis Blues hockey organization and ruin his career. The acquaintance threatened to leave Danton."

Later in the document, it describes a recorded phone call the FBI got the unidentified acquaintance to make to Danton, apparently before his arrest Friday morning.

"The acquaintance called Danton and asked Danton why he wanted to have him killed," it says. "Danton broke down and sobbed. Danton explained that he felt backed into a corner and also felt that the acquaintance was going to leave him. Danton did not want to allow the acquaintance to leave him, therefore decided to have him murdered."
Old 04-17-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sadly, Mike's from my hometown...
Old 04-18-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There were reports on the news that said that he thought that someone was coming down from Canada to kill him, so he hired the hitman to knock that hitman off.

Old 04-18-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That was the story he gave to the girl to get her to hire the hitman in the first place....he made that up to make it look like "self-defense" or something to the hitman he was trying to hire.

Updated: April 18, 11:26 AM ET
Team stunned by murder-for-hire charge

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- A day after St. Louis forward Mike Danton was arrested in San Jose, Calif., and charged in an alleged murder-for-hire scheme, his Blues teammates were still having trouble fathoming the news.

Mike Danton
Danton

"It's beyond shock," forward Doug Weight said Saturday as players cleaned out their lockers. "I don't know what to say."

According to a criminal complaint filed in federal court in Illinois, Danton, 23, and 19-year-old Katie Wolfmeyer tried to hire someone to kill an acquaintance of the hockey player. Danton was arrested at the airport in San Jose after the Blues were knocked out of the playoffs by a loss to San Jose on Thursday.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported in its Sunday editions that Danton had agreed to extradition, and that he was being moved from a California jail to St. Louis.

"It's tough," center Keith Tkachuk told reporters. "I don't know what's going on. You guys probably know more than I do."

Danton and Wolfmeyer face federal charges of conspiring and using a telephone across state lines to set up a murder. According to the criminal complaint, Danton told Wolfmeyer that a hit man from Canada was coming to kill him and asked her if she knew someone who would kill the person for $10,000.

The complaint alleges that Danton was trying to kill a male acquaintance whom he had fought with Tuesday over Danton's "promiscuity and use of alcohol." The complaint said Danton feared the acquaintance, who is not identified, would talk to St. Louis Blues management and ruin Danton's career.

"We don't as of yet have all the facts," Danton's agent Dave Frost told the Post-Dispatch. "I spoke with Mike. We're fully supportive of him, and we fully intend to be behind him, and with him.

"Unequivocally, I can tell you it had nothing to do with drugs and alcohol, period. Once we get all the facts, we'll be able to realize what really happened. He's a good kid. He really is."

Frost also told the Post-Dispatch for its Sunday editions that Danton had asked him a week ago to help set up counseling for him for fears and other emotional problems.

"He had things he wanted to get off his chest and he needed help to do so," Frost said. "We were setting something up for him for the end of the season."

Weight said what Danton does in his personal life is his own business and shouldn't have been a problem for the team.

"Let's preface it by saying who knows what the situation is," Weight said. "There's rumors of what went on and who exactly was involved with this so-called thing.

"Let's not jump to conclusions, but you know what, hypothetically I think it would be fine. I'd like to think people are bigger than that and look into the person as a person and as a teammate."

Danton, formerly known as Mike Jefferson, was suspended twice for disciplinary reasons by the New Jersey Devils last season before being traded to St. Louis last June. He had seven goals, 12 points and 141 penalty minutes in 68 games this season -- all career highs -- with the Blues.

In one game, although he was at a decided disadvantage, he tried to goad Vancouver tough guy Todd Bertuzzi into a fight.

"I don't know a tougher guy than him, I don't know a guy that goes in the corner and gets killed and that will drop his gloves with a guy who's 40 pounds heavier in a flash," Weight said. "He's tough as nails."

Some teammates were hoping the arrest was just a misunderstanding.

"He brings a great presence to the dressing room, so it's just real tough to see him go through this," defenseman Bryce Salvador said. "I really do feel like he's family. It's unfortunate, because he's a great guy."

Others wanted him to know he was in their thoughts.

"We're worried about his life right now and what he's going through," Weight said. "It's a scary thought.

"I feel for him and I'm praying for him."
Old 04-19-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The next time I need to hire a hitman, a 19 yr old girl is not who I am going to ask for help.
Old 04-20-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was his agent...

Law enforcement sources have told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that sports agent Dave Frost was the target of an alleged murder-for-hire plot arranged by his client, Blues forward Mike Danton.

The identity of the target has been a mystery since charges were filed against Danton on Friday, a day after the San Jose Sharks beat the Blues 3-1 to eliminate St. Louis from the Stanley Cup playoffs. Danton remains jailed in California pending extradition to the St. Louis area.

Frost has denied that he was a target and refused to discuss specifics of the case in an interview with the Post-Dispatch on Monday.

"The lawyers are the ones who will have to comment about the specifics of that night," he told the newspaper.

However, according to the Post-Dispatch's law enforcement sources, the FBI found Frost at Danton's apartment in Brentwood, Mo., about midnight Thursday. Minutes later, the 19-year-old suburban St. Louis woman accused of helping to set up the hit arrived there with a man she believed to be a hired killer. That man had reported the alleged plot and was secretly working with the FBI.

Another law enforcement source not identified by the newspaper confirmed that the FBI brought Frost to the Brentwood police station to talk with him, Danton's accused accomplice, Katie Wolfmeyer, and the informer.

"Once the whole thing shakes down, everyone will understand exactly all of the circumstances of what happened," Frost told the Post-Dispatch. "When the smoke clears, everyone will know what Mike was thinking and what really happened."

On Monday, Frost told The Associated Press in a telephone interview that Danton is in dire need of psychological counseling.

"Mike is scared," Frost said. "He's still in a state where he doesn't actually understand what's happened. He's in desperate, desperate need of counseling, immediately. We're doing what we can to keep his mind-set as strong as we possibly can."

Wolfmeyer was released on $100,000 bond Monday, the Post-Dispatch reported. Danton and Wolfmeyer face federal charges of conspiring and using a telephone across state lines to set up a murder. According to the criminal complaint, Danton told Wolfmeyer that a hit man from Canada was coming to kill him and asked her if she knew someone who would kill the person for $10,000.

Robert Haar, Danton's St. Louis-based attorney, told the Post-Dispatch that the process of extraditing Danton from California could take "two to three weeks."

"I suspect [Danton will be moved] much quicker than that," Haar told the paper.

A possible motive for killing Frost remains unclear. The complaint alleges that Danton was trying to kill a male acquaintance whom he had fought with Tuesday over Danton's "promiscuity and use of alcohol." The complaint said Danton feared the acquaintance, who is not identified, would talk to Blues management and ruin Danton's career.

"There is a story behind the story which will be told eventually," Frost's lawyer, Michael Edelson, told the paper. "Other than that, I have no comment. We're not going to try this in the press."

According to the Post-Dispatch, Frost has been banned from two junior hockey leagues in Canada for "having a strong influence over a core of young players."

Danton's father, Stephen Jefferson, said Frost is a "monster" and blamed him for his poor relationship with his son. Frost told the Post-Dispatch that Jefferson was the controlling figure in Danton's life. The player has been estranged from his family for some time and changed his name from Jefferson to Danton in the summer of 2002.

St. Louis acquired Danton in June from the New Jersey Devils, where he had been twice suspended for disciplinary reasons. He sat out all of the 2001-02 season and played in just 17 games in 2002-03.

This season, Danton had seven goals, 12 points and 141 penalty minutes -- tied for most on the team.

This guy is a genius. No one would have EVER thought him a suspect if his AGENT mysteriously was murdered!!

Man, people are so damn stupid. If they just THOUGHT about stuff a little farther past the next step, so many murders could be prevented.
Old 04-20-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This guy is way messed up
Old 04-20-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

All the local media is talking about is this moron and the impending release of Kurt Warner.

He definitely deserves a Darwin Award.
Old 04-20-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by B.A.

He definitely deserves a Darwin Award.
Dont you have to die to win that?
Old 04-20-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought you just had to something incredibly stupid.
Old 04-20-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought you had to die doing something stupid. I could be wrong. I dont know the official rules.
Old 04-20-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Chris - you were right, my bad.

From the website:

"The Darwin Awards salute the improvement of
the human genome by honoring those who accidentally
kill themselves in really stupid ways."
Old 04-20-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe he'll get shanked in the shower and we'll both be right.
Old 04-20-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am not so sure about the whole Darwin discussion. The line that caught my attention was this:

"According to the Post-Dispatch, Frost has been banned from two junior hockey leagues in Canada for "having a strong influence over a core of young players"."

There have been a number of cases where young players were sexually abused in the past by people in power positions, and have gone on to have many problems (Sheldon Kennedy, and Theo Fleury (heavily rumoured anyway) to name two). These perverts feast on confused young kids and take advantage of them. It really wouldn't surprise me if this was the case in this situation. Although, at this point, who really knows. But I want to know more before I make a judgement.
Old 04-21-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting article on Frost below. Anyone know who the famous hockey family is?

Frost weaves chilly web

Steve Simmons says agent's world is a murky place

By STEVE SIMMONS -- Toronto Sun

When you enter the closed and disturbing world of David Frost, you are entering a murky place of threats and, as Mike Danton has found out, a place of danger.

Danton, the local kid hockey player once known as Mike Jefferson, remains in a California jail accused of attempting to arrange a paid assassination.

Frost, his former coach, roommate, confidante, and now, officially, his agent, has dismissed reports he was the target.

Danton, 23, a St. Louis Blues forward, was arrested Friday on charges that he and a 19-year-old St. Louis woman conspired and used a telephone across state lines to set up a killing.

JUSTICE

The fallout eventually will be determined by the U.S. justice system. The prelude, though, from those of us who saw trouble coming as early as 1999, is sadly and disturbingly predictable.

Five hockey seasons ago, the St. Michael's Majors traded four of their best players to the Barrie Colts in a deal that from the outside appeared to make little sense. Out of curiosity more than anything else, I asked The Sun's Terry Koshan, who covered junior hockey at the time: "Why would St. Mike's do this?"

"They want to get away from Frost," Koshan answered.

"Who's Frost," I asked.

"You don't want to know," he said.

Thus begun an exhaustive one-month journey into a man lurking in the hockey shadows, with truths being twisted, controlling a clique of "his boys" and whispers and rumours (not of a sexual nature) -- but hardly anyone willing to go on the record to say what they knew.

People were afraid of him.

They were afraid if they spoke out against him they would be the ones injured in the end. They were concerned if they said what they knew about how he operated, about the control he had over his kids, they would end up punished.

I interviewed almost 100 people, many of them refusing to go on the record, about Frost, including a 140-minute session with him at what was then his Brampton home, and the more I learned, the more cryptic the story became.

"The guy is a lunatic," Rob Ciccarelli, Dino's brother and owner of the Sarnia Sting, said at the time. "What worried me is he had a cult-like attraction for (Jefferson/Danton). I have never in my history seen anything like that. The kid totally did everything that Frost said. It was shocking."

Five years ago, Steve Jefferson, now Mike's estranged father, told me that "Dave Frost is the best thing that ever happened to my kid."

Five years later, he says his son, who changed his name, has to "get the hell away" from Frost.

The more I learned about David Frost and the more people I asked about him, the more nervous, apparently, he became.

During a five-day span after interviewing him at his home, before the column appeared in March 1999, Frost telephoned The Toronto Sun sports department at least 15 times issuing threats of lawsuits even though he had no idea what was going to be reported about him. He often called, made a point, then called back a few minutes later. He also called my home on a number of occasions -- as did unidentified others on his behalf, some of them hanging up immediately, some of them threatening harm if the story appeared.

It was about that time Mike Jefferson called, after numerous requests to interview him were denied.

And it was about that time Sheldon Keefe, another Frost insider, called, suddenly available to be interviewed.

In the years that passed, long after the story appeared and the hockey world went back to its whispering and disdain for Frost, Mike Jefferson would occasionally phone me, just to let me know he was doing all right.

He phoned after he walked out on the New Jersey Devils and said he was trying to make it as an actor in Hollywood. He told me on another occasion that he "had straightened his life out" and that everything was fine. He was like a little boy searching for approval.

The kind of approval that Frost, apparently, provided him with.

The approval that came from the David Frost who once was found guilty of assaulting a hockey player on his own bench, once suspended indefinitely for allegedly falsifying a document (he denies the charge) by the GTHL, once suspended indefinitely by the Ontario Hockey Association, and yet somehow was allowed to be certified as an agent by the National Hockey League Players' Association, even though old Frost associate Bob Goodenow was fully aware of the history.

MARRIED FROST

Mike Gillis, the player agent who once utilized Frost as a bird-dog, has distanced himself from Frost, almost denying there was ever any kind of professional relationship.

And one of the families associated with Frost, a well-known hockey name, has watched as their teenage daughter inexplicably left home, moved in and eventually married Frost.

"I've asked my daughter to come home," the mother said, pleading that her identity be protected. "My daughter is an idiot. She will not listen. I said to her 'This is the FBI we're talking about here. Now is your chance. Get away from him and come home.'

"I don't know what control he has over her. But he has always had this control."

A control unexplained.

A control witnessed by many who have watched with trepidation a control they couldn't understand.

"Success breeds jealousy," David Frost told me in 1999. "I kind of like the controversy as long as I know what I'm doing is best for the player. I don't care who I rub the wrong way. I'm not about to change.

"Not for anybody."
Old 04-21-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It seems as if he is the David Koresh of player agents. Creepy story - maybe that is why Danton thought it was his only way out.
Old 04-21-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by sn9ke_eyes
The next time I need to hire a hitman, a 19 yr old girl is not who I am going to ask for help.
Next time??
Old 07-16-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He just pled guilty to the murder-for-hire charge.

I don't think they have a hockey penal league, do they?

Old 08-23-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Figured I'd bump this instead of creating a new thread. Glad to see that Frost will finally get some charges against him.

Frost faces sex charges
Danton's father relieved at news
By STEVE SIMMONS -- Toronto Sun

Former NHL agent and hockey coach David Frost is facing "historical sex offences" charges levelled by the OPP.

The father answered his cellphone late in the afternoon, heard the news and almost went silent.

"I need a minute," the estranged father of Mike Danton said before catching his breath and digesting the words. "Can you read that back to me again?"

Steve Jefferson doesn't have a lot of days of hope, not with his lost son behind American bars, not with everything that has gone on in his family's life. "Finally," he said, almost with elation. "I can't believe it has finally happened. I'm going to go home and my wife is going to bawl her eyes out.

"We've been waiting so long for this."

Steve and Sue Jefferson have been hoping police charges would be filed against David Frost. Some kind of charges. Something to validate what they believe and certainly feel: Frost is possibly a controlling predator.

The beginning of that validation came yesterday when, after an exhaustive and expensive two-year investigation, Ontario Provincial Police's Criminal Investigation Branch levelled what they are calling "historical sex offences" charges against the former player agent and hockey coach, Frost.

In all, Frost has been charged with 12 counts of sexual exploitation and one count of assault that occurred between 1995 and 2001 in the Deseronto and Napanee areas. The alleged crimes were committed against four males, and three females, all of them against kids between 14 and 16. The allegations have not been proved in court.

There is a publication ban on the naming of the victims, who now are mostly adult age. "I wonder if Tom is one of them," said Jefferson of his youngest son.

Tom Jefferson was actually 13 years old when he attended a weekend retreat at Frost's cottage in the Kingston area. In June of 2001, the Jeffersons provided Dr. Brian Shaw, a psychologist with the National Hockey League Players' Association, with photographs that had been taken on that weekend, including one of a young boy naked and bound to a bed with duct tape.

As obligated by the law, Shaw presented the alleged evidence of child abuse to authorities. At the time, Frost and five other witnesses dismissed the incident as a hazing and the police investigation was closed.

Some four years after the cottage incident, in an unrelated event, Tom Jefferson's older brother, NHL forward Mike Danton, plead guilty in a St. Louis court room to an awkward and unsophisticated plot to kill Frost, his close associate, mentor and agent.

At the time, Frost promised Danton that if he entered his guilty plea, he would be transferred to a Canadian prison and his 7 1/2 year sentence would be reduced. Typically, he has not been transferred and his sentence has not been shortened.

"Everything is a lie with Dave," Steve Jefferson said. "From Day 1, it's all been a big lie. Hopefully now, some good will come of this.

"No matter what happens with this, there's can't be any association between Mike and Dave for now. If Dave gets out on bail, they can't be in contact with each other. Now, if Mike gets out, there's no fear of him coming home and hanging around David Frost."

OPP spokesperson, Sgt. Kristine Rae, said the investigation was launched in April of 2004 after one of the victims filed a complaint. "Our leads on the case led us to the other victims, which meant for multiple charges," Rae said. When asked to explain sexual exploitation and assault, she said: "It's anybody who has authority over a young person and exploits them for sexual purposes."

Frost, a one-time friend and associate of former NHLPA executive director, Bob Goodenow, actually was certified as a player agent by the players' association in 2002, one year after the PA's own psychologist presented troubling evidence to police. Frost resigned his PA status after a documentary by CBC's The Fifth Estate further exposed troubling aspects of his life.

Frost is scheduled to make a court appearance today in Napanee with a likely bail hearing tomorrow.