P.E.T.A. vs PETCO

Old 04-16-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

P.E.T.A. vs PETCO

Friday, April 16, 2004
Secret message makes it into new park
By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

Taking a page out of an old high school yearbook trick, an official with an animal rights organization successfully placed a hidden message in a brick on the grounds of the San Diego Padres new stadium, Petco Park.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) had a 12-word statement engraved in an 8-by-8 inch brick -- the commemorative bricks were offered by the Padres as part of a permanent display surrounding the team's new $411 million stadium.

The message reads, "Break Open Your Cold Ones! Toast The Padres! Enjoy This Championship Organization!" The first letter of every word spells "BOYCOTT PETCO."

"Petco Park might be the place where homers go to die, but PETCO stores are where animals go to die," said Dan Shannon, a PETA campaign coordinator.

PETCO, which has more than 650 stores in 43 states, sells animals as well as pet-related products. In January 2003, the company purchased the naming rights to the Padres' new stadium, a 22-year deal worth $60 million.

Earlier this week, Padres and PETCO officials discussed whether something should be done with the brick, but PETCO executives had no problem with it.

"If you walked by and read their message, you wouldn't know it had anything to do with PETA," said Don Cowan, PETCO's director of communications.

PETA, which objects to the sale of animals altogether, has targeted PETCO for months, written letters to Padres executives in hopes that they would cancel the naming rights agreement. They have also sent out monthly casualty reports citing animal deaths in PETCO stores to company officials.

PETCO officials contend that they have investigated some of the reports submitted by PETA and most, they say, are mischaracterizations. Since 1965, PETCO has adopted more than one million animals and over the past five years has given a total of $18 million to 1,900 animal shelters, according to Cowan.

Over the past month, Petco Park has generated 100 million online and broadcast media impressions for PETCO for mentions of the park's name, Cowan added.

PETA has been active in the sports world of late. In 2002, the Milwaukee Brewers denied PETA's request to include a vegetarian soy sausage in the Brewers' traditional game-day race of mascots, which includes a bratwurst, a hot dog, a Polish and Italian sausage.

Shannon said that PETA plans on sending letters to the two NBA Rookie of the Year frontrunners, LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, advising them to turn down the award since it is sponsored by "Got Milk?," a campaign overseen by the California Milk Processors Board. PETA officials say they object to the cruelty that dairy cows endure as a result of their treatment by dairy farmers.

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at [email protected].

psychos.
Old 04-16-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 04-16-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk God

The only Petco's I've ever been to sell fish, reptiles and birds. They don't sell dogs or cats. They have rescue organizations who do cats and dogs and the costs cover their costs.
Old 04-16-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doesnt Petco sell dog toys and treats? You know, the kind of stuff that makes my dog happy?
Old 04-16-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by chrisih8u
Doesnt Petco sell dog toys and treats? You know, the kind of stuff that makes my dog happy?
Yes.

They also sell dog shampoo! Oh, the humanity! It's tested on animals, people!
Old 04-16-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chrisih8u
[PETA]Heartless bastard. What would make your dog happy is roaming the wild without an owner, free to do as he pleases, not chewing on a squeaky rubber newspaper or a pigs ear. THAT"S ANOTHER THING! WHAT ABOUT THE POOR PIGS!!!!!!!!1111!!11[/PETA]
Old 04-16-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nevermind
[PETA]Heartless bastard. What would make your dog happy is roaming the wild without an owner, free to do as he pleases, not chewing on a squeaky rubber newspaper or a pigs ear. THAT"S ANOTHER THING! WHAT ABOUT THE POOR PIGS!!!!!!!!1111!!11[/PETA]
Old 04-16-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I worked in a Petco for 2 years when I was 16/17.

We never killed animals. In fact, many of us refused to sell animals to people who obviously were in no condition to take care of them. In fact, really the only times animals died in our care was when they were given to Petco when they were already sick.

PETA, as usual, knows jack shit. They're a form of legalized terrorism.
Old 04-16-04, 07:37 PM

Taking a page out of an old high school yearbook trick, an official with an animal rights organization successfully placed a hidden message in a brick on the grounds of the San Diego Padres new stadium, Petco Park.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) had a 12-word statement engraved in an 8-by-8 inch brick -- the commemorative bricks were offered by the Padres as part of a permanent display surrounding the team's new $411 million stadium.

The message reads, "Break Open Your Cold Ones! Toast The Padres! Enjoy This Championship Organization!" The first letter of every word spells "BOYCOTT PETCO."
Ooh boy, they really pulled one over on the Padres.

But, PetCo has been known to have problems with how they maintain their live animals. PETA goes way overboard with what the "wrongs" they attempt to correct, but if PetCo improves their record on handling live animals, that's a good thing.

PetCo has a dog and cat adoption day every Sunday at Petco Park.

But honestly, I wouldn't be upset if the Padres pick a new sponsor. Because I really want to see Jack In The Box corp get the deal. With their brilliant marketing campaigns, now THAT would be such a great sponsor.
Old 04-16-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

okay okay okay I admit torturing a few hamsters when I worked there

Any of them that bit me got the wheel of dizziness.

I'd stick them on their hamster wheel, and spin the son of a bitch as fast as I could. Centrifugal force would keep them on the wheel and then they'd get off and be all dizzy. It was funny at the time. I f'n hate hamsters, especially the ones that bite.
Old 04-16-04, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by El Scorcho
I worked in a Petco for 2 years when I was 16/17.

We never killed animals. In fact, many of us refused to sell animals to people who obviously were in no condition to take care of them. In fact, really the only times animals died in our care was when they were given to Petco when they were already sick.

PETA, as usual, knows jack shit. They're a form of legalized terrorism.
Yeah, but that was YOUR store, though. There have been issues at some stores within the chain. It's not rampant through all stores, and every Petco I've been to was clean and the animals seemed well taken care of to me.

What PETA should be doing (if they were at all reasonable) is targeting the specific stores rather than the entire chain. But since they're against selling pets in general, then they should be targeting every pet store in existence.

Anyway, I'll try to find their brick tonight so that I can see if the Padres remove the brick in the future. There aren't many 8x8 bricks because they were so expensive.
Old 04-16-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to work at Walmart and we would feed the smaller fish to the bigger fish. Then we'd bet on which fish would last the longest.
Old 04-16-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DarkElf
Yeah, but that was YOUR store, though. There have been issues at some stores within the chain. It's not rampant through all stores, and every Petco I've been to was clean and the animals seemed well taken care of to me.

What PETA should be doing (if they were at all reasonable) is targeting the specific stores rather than the entire chain. But since they're against selling pets in general, then they should be targeting every pet store in existence.

Anyway, I'll try to find their brick tonight so that I can see if the Padres remove the brick in the future. There aren't many 8x8 bricks because they were so expensive.
The company can only do so much. They can't hold the hand of every single employee that works there. They have strict policies about the treatment of animals there and if you break them, you're instantly fired. I'm not sure what else PETA wants from this organization, other than its complete annhilation from the planet because it believes animals should be pets.
Old 04-16-04, 08:27 PM

The company can only do so much. They can't hold the hand of every single employee that works there. They have strict policies about the treatment of animals there and if you break them, you're instantly fired. I'm not sure what else PETA wants from this organization, other than its complete annhilation from the planet because it believes animals should be pets.
My understanding was that some of the conditions the animals have to live in are less than desirable. So that wouldn't be a situation where someone was caught abusing the animals. Any manager should be able to look at the conditions of the cages and realize they weren't up to standards.

How large is PetSmart. That's the other large chain around here. I never hear anything bad about PetSmart (and I think they sell animals too), so I have to think there is at least SOME truth to the (relatively minor) issues with PetCo.

But no organization is perfect, and in general, I think PetCo is a plus organization. There is always room for improvement in any organization, but I don't think it warrants being barred from sponsoring a ballpark.
Old 04-16-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Living environments in the stores really aren't all that different than the setups they recommend people put together for the pet's living environment at home.

btw, I hate petco. Their corporation treats their employees like shit.
Old 04-17-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Before or after they learned about your pure hatred for hamsters?
Old 04-17-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: P.E.T.A. vs PETCO

Originally posted by nevermind

psychos.
I say good for PETA. The Petcos I've seen have been an embarassment to the human race.
Old 04-17-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Which is, of course, a hell of a lot better than they treat the animals unfortunate enough to fall into their greedy little hands.
Old 04-17-04, 12:16 PM

Won't be long until PETA calls their ALF buddies and has them bomb the stadium altogether.
Old 04-17-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
Won't be long until PETA calls their ALF buddies and has them bomb the stadium altogether.
Bastiches.
Old 04-17-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Break Open Your Cold Ones! Toast The Padres! Enjoy This Championship Organization!"

how big are those bricks?
at the wachovia, were the flyers play, when it first opened you could put a message on a brick but it is a regular size brick.
we were barely able to put a five word phrase on it.
Old 04-17-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

whotony:

In the article, it says that the brick is 8" x 8". About the size of a CD case.
Old 04-17-04, 05:31 PM

Well, I tried to find it last night, but there are more 8x8 bricks than I thought. I got through about 20% of the bricks before it got too dark to see.
Old 04-17-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by DarkElf
Well, I tried to find it last night, but there are more 8x8 bricks than I thought. I got through about 20% of the bricks before it got too dark to see.
I can just see you out there with a spelunker's helmet and light at night trying to find the brick.
Old 04-19-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone who wants the lowdown on PETA should watch the PETA episode of Penn and Teller's "Bullshit" on Showtime.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.