Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

When does Yahoo! update/change position status?

Old 04-12-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When does Yahoo! update/change position status?

I have Danny Graves, who's a RP, only listed as a SP.

Is it like 10 games at a position or something?
Old 04-12-04, 10:05 AM

After 15 games.
Old 04-12-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ouch.
Old 04-12-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Why wouldn't you just plunk him in the P position?
Old 04-12-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by kjn6371
After 15 games.
Just like perhaps 90% of the fantasy baseball leagues in the past 20 years. It comes from the original Rotisserie Baseball days.
Old 04-12-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fantasy baseball has been going on for 20 years? Never even heard about it until 5-6 years ago.

"...the original rotesserie baseball days" makes it sound like we've come A LONG way since then.

Deftones, I can obviously put him in at P position, but in a situation like yesterday where I had 4 starters throwing, I couldn't put Graves in (we have 2 SP and 2 P spots).
Old 04-12-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How is position eligibility established?
At the beginning of the Fantasy Baseball season, Yahoo! Sports placed all players into positions based in part on information from official rosters, but focusing mainly on past performance. Some players appear in multiple position lists and are eligible to fill any of those positions.
Please note the following conditions that apply to a player's position eligibility.

A player's position eligibility will not be adjusted prior to the beginning of the season. (Alex Rodriguez, Jose Reyes and all other players beginning the season at a new position are required to meet the requirements outlined below.)
Players will not lose eligibility at a previously established position at any time. (For example, Alex Rodriguez will retain his eligibility at the SS position for the 2004 season.)
It is not possible to customize this setting within Custom Leagues. All leagues are subject to the same constraints.
Gaining eligibility at a new position:

If a position player makes 15 appearances at a new position during this season, he will become eligible to play that position in Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball.

Pitchers need to make three starts to become eligible as a starter and five relief appearances to qualify as a reliever.

To find the number of games in which a player has appeared at a certain position, click on their name. You will be taken to their Player Profile. From there, click on the "Career" link. You will be able to view the player's statistics for the season, and the number of games played at each position.

Players will not necessarily be eligible for all positions listed in their Player Profile.

-----------------

Graves has 1 or 2 more appearances until he qualifies.
Old 04-12-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sweet thanks - that's an entirely different answer as the ones above, yet I still could have found it (apparently) myself had I looked a little harder.
Old 04-12-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Toad

Deftones, I can obviously put him in at P position, but in a situation like yesterday where I had 4 starters throwing, I couldn't put Graves in (we have 2 SP and 2 P spots).
Gotcha. You didn't mention that you had 4 starters going.
Old 04-12-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ No I didn't --- sorry, I didn't think it was pertinent to the question until you pointed out your suggestion.

Graves needs 2 more appearances. Not too bad, I can deal with that.
Old 04-12-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Toad
Fantasy baseball has been going on for 20 years? Never even heard about it until 5-6 years ago.
me too, well sort of. i heard about it when i was a kid but i can't imagine keeping track of all the stats and such without the help of an internet-based site or something. those days must've been much more hardcore.