Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

College basketball coaching carousel

Old 04-08-04, 06:17 PM
  #1  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,785
College basketball coaching carousel

We're well under way, though it won't be the mess it was last year.

Today Jeff Lebo left UT-Chat for Auburn

Matt Painter just left Southern Illinois to become Associate HC at Purdue where he'll take over for Keady next year.

Illinois asst Chris Lowery is believed to be the front runner for the SIU job. An announcement is expected tomorrow.


Jobs still open:
St John's
Miami
Georgetown
MrX is offline  
Old 04-08-04, 06:43 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Won't be as exciting as last year.

Acc'd to today's Wash Post, the Georgetown job is John Thompson III's (Princeton head coach) if he wants it.

GT assistant Gene Keener was named head coach at James Madison earlier this week:
http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breakin...5548-1173r.htm
Red Dog is offline  
Old 04-08-04, 08:00 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 10,059
Are Miami and St. John's the only high profile gigs left?
tofu is offline  
Old 04-08-04, 08:01 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk God
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,497
should I be happy to get Lebo?

is he really any better than ellis?
twikoff is offline  
Old 04-08-04, 08:36 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,642
Originally posted by twikoff
should I be happy to get Lebo?

is he really any better than ellis?
I didn't realize that Jeff Lebo was even still alive.
The Dude is offline  
Old 04-08-04, 10:29 PM
  #6  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,785
Originally posted by tofu
Are Miami and St. John's the only high profile gigs left?
DePaul might open up if Leitao leaves for St. John's. Doherty was the frontrunner for that and now rumor is he's out.

Leitao and Kansas asst Norm Roberts I think are the only other people to interview for the job.
MrX is offline  
Old 04-10-04, 12:58 PM
  #7  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,785
According to cbssportsline St. John's is down to 3. Matt Doherty Dave Leitao, and Norm Roberts.

DePaul said the other day Leitao isn't leaving. Depending what you read Doherty is either the frontrunner or isn't even being considered. My guess is it's either Doherty or Roberts.
MrX is offline  
Old 04-10-04, 01:05 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,317
Originally posted by Red Dog
Won't be as exciting as last year.

Acc'd to today's Wash Post, the Georgetown job is John Thompson III's (Princeton head coach) if he wants it.

GT assistant Gene Keener was named head coach at James Madison earlier this week:
http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breakin...5548-1173r.htm
Why doesn't G-town go outside of the Thompson family coaching circle? It's time to move on. Am I the only one who thinks so?
B.A. is offline  
Old 04-10-04, 01:07 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,317
Sucks to see Painter jump ship so soon, but I can't say that I blame - better job, better $, your alma mater...

Is it safe to assume that Lowery was an assistant for Weber at SIU? I would think he is familiar w/ the program if they are looking at him.
B.A. is offline  
Old 04-10-04, 01:40 PM
  #10  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,785
Originally posted by B.A.
Is it safe to assume that Lowery was an assistant for Weber at SIU? I would think he is familiar w/ the program if they are looking at him.
Yeah, and he played at SIU too. He was announced as the HC yesterday.

I think Purdue is really going out on a limb with Painter. One year at a mid-major where you had a great team handed to you isn't the type of experience I'd be thrilled to get in my coach. Though with PU going downhill lately I doubt they could do much better.
MrX is offline  
Old 04-10-04, 02:02 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dr_Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: the igloo
Posts: 6,719
Originally posted by MrX
According to cbssportsline St. John's is down to 3. Matt Doherty Dave Leitao, and Norm Roberts.

DePaul said the other day Leitao isn't leaving. Depending what you read Doherty is either the frontrunner or isn't even being considered. My guess is it's either Doherty or Roberts.
I can't believe they aren't considering Pitt assistant Barry Rohrssen. He has pretty much owned NYC recruiting the last few years getting Krauser, Taft, McCarrol and others to come to Pitt from NYC. Howland and Dixon may get a lot of the credit, but without Barry Rohrssen Pitt would not have the best record int he NCAA over the last 3 years.
Dr_Evil is offline  
Old 04-10-04, 02:09 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,317
Originally posted by MrX
I think Purdue is really going out on a limb with Painter. One year at a mid-major where you had a great team handed to you isn't the type of experience I'd be thrilled to get in my coach. Though with PU going downhill lately I doubt they could do much better.
Your last statement pins the tail on the donkey.
B.A. is offline  
Old 04-10-04, 09:39 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Originally posted by B.A.
Why doesn't G-town go outside of the Thompson family coaching circle? It's time to move on. Am I the only one who thinks so?

Actually, I don't think JT III is a bad choice. The Princeton-style could work well in a Big East that will feature some juggernaut programs. Also, keep in mind that he never coached under his father so he is not another Esherick. He is certainly a better choice than Johnny Dawkins, one of the other leading candidates.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 04-10-04, 09:44 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,317
I did not know he never coached under his old man. Even though he has been coaching at Princeton, I just assumed he was another protege of his father.
B.A. is offline  
Old 04-13-04, 01:14 AM
  #15  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,785
Kansas assistant Norm Roberts will be named St. John's coach on Tuesday.

I think this is a good choice by St. John's. I think giving Doherty the job would have been a huge mistake. I think his name was dragged through the mud so badly that he'll have a hard time winning where ever he goes.

Roberts has recruited NYC well, he had Charlie Villanueva commited to Illinois before Self left for Kansas and he brought in Russell Robinson for KU next year. Jarvis was losing everyone out of NYC his last few years there.
MrX is offline  
Old 04-14-04, 12:28 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the 26th parallel
Posts: 561
From yesterday:

Haith takes over at Miami

Hurricanes move to the ACC prompts an assistant with some ties from there. Looks like they were also interested in SJU's Roberts.
Sernov is offline  
Old 04-20-04, 10:46 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
John Thompson III officially to Georgetown:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...orgetown_x.htm
Red Dog is offline  
Old 04-20-04, 11:25 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 296
Re: College basketball coaching carousel

Originally posted by MrX
We're well under way, though it won't be the mess it was last year.

Today Jeff Lebo left UT-Chat for Auburn

Matt Painter just left Southern Illinois to become Associate HC at Purdue where he'll take over for Keady next year.

Illinois asst Chris Lowery is believed to be the front runner for the SIU job. An announcement is expected tomorrow.


Jobs still open:
St John's
Miami
Georgetown
Jobs that should be open:
LSU

I cant believe that John Brady is still able to keep his job with his performance that he had last season combined with the out of control rate he loses players during and after each season....
Supr_65 is offline  
Old 04-22-04, 10:55 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Daryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: You might catch me in Atlanta, looking like a boss
Posts: 13,712
Not a coaching change, but some minor college bball news.

2004 ACC/Big Ten Challenge:

Wake Forest v. Illinois
MSU v. Duke
UNC v. Indiana
Mich v. GTech
OSU v. Clemson
UVA v. Minnesota
Maryland v. Wisconsin
Purdue v. NCState
FSU v. NW
Daryl is offline  
Old 04-22-04, 01:40 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,317
Originally posted by Daryl
Not a coaching change, but some minor college bball news.

2004 ACC/Big Ten Challenge:

Wake Forest v. Illinois
MSU v. Duke
UNC v. Indiana
Mich v. GTech
OSU v. Clemson
UVA v. Minnesota
Maryland v. Wisconsin
Purdue v. NCState
FSU v. NW
Chris Paul squaring off against Brown and Williams - that will be an exciting game. The MSU/Duke match-up just depends on who will be w/ the programs next year (recruits/underclassmen) - it should be good either way.
B.A. is offline  
Old 04-22-04, 02:26 PM
  #21  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,785
Originally posted by Daryl
Not a coaching change, but some minor college bball news.

2004 ACC/Big Ten Challenge:

Wake Forest v. Illinois
MSU v. Duke
UNC v. Indiana
Mich v. GTech
OSU v. Clemson
UVA v. Minnesota
Maryland v. Wisconsin
Purdue v. NCState
FSU v. NW
If I had to pick right now I'd say all the home teams win except Indiana, Minnesota, and maybe Clemson. If Deng and Livingston leave Duke and Harris leaves Wisconsin things might change.

I wish the Big 10 was sending Iowa instead of the gophers. Minnesota is going to be even worse next year then they were this year.
MrX is offline  
Old 06-28-04, 04:04 PM
  #22  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,785
Thread resurrection time:

Looks like Vandy's Kevin Stallings is the front runner for the vacant Ohio St. job. They've been given permission to interview him for the job.

Interesting note, The Rutgers AD denied Ohio St permission to interview their head coach Gary Waters. I can't think of the last time that happened.
MrX is offline  
Old 06-28-04, 09:38 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,317
Originally posted by MrX
Thread resurrection time:

Looks like Vandy's Kevin Stallings is the front runner for the vacant Ohio St. job. They've been given permission to interview him for the job.
to a fellow alum of my high school.
B.A. is offline  
Old 07-07-04, 06:26 PM
  #24  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,785
Xavier's Thad Matta is the new Ohio St. coach.

Kind of surprising since he probably would have been the frontrunner for the Indiana job when Mike Davis gets fired in the next year or two.

Plus the Ohio St program is a mess.
MrX is offline  
Old 07-07-04, 06:27 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,317
What happened to Stallings getting the job?
B.A. is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.