Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Washington Capitals get #1 pick in NHL Draft

Old 04-06-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Washington Capitals get #1 pick in NHL Draft

I believe they had a 14% chance, but they were rewarded for gutting one of the most underachieving teams in sports. Alexander Ovechkin is the consensus #1.
Old 04-06-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It won't matter. The league won't be around after next year. No one watches
Old 04-06-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great. Now we can get a great forward, nurture him...watch him grow, and right before he becomes a mature talent we can trade him for 2 shitty defensemen and a 6 pack of Molson like we always do.
Old 04-06-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's pretty damn great for the Caps actually. Alexander Ovechkin will be a stud. The guy's probably hockey's equivalent to LeBron James, although some may push Sidney Crosby in that role. I'm not big into comparisons, but every once in a while there is a special player and this appears to be such an example. Maybe I will have to go to some Caps games next year afterall (like there will be any games)
Old 04-06-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish I could get into hockey though. I semi-understand the game but I just can't get excited watching it.

The Caps though probably did the best thing by dumping the overpaid talent and starting over.
Old 04-06-04, 04:19 PM

It'll be interesting to see what the NHL will do with 2005 draft if there's a season long lockout. Sydney Crosby is already tabbed as the 1st pick and is seen by some as the next Gretzky, but which team will get the first pick in 2005 if there was no season?
Old 04-07-04, 12:49 AM
PwA

ovechekin is a phenomonal talent, i watched him during the world juniors and he was awesome
Old 04-07-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by birdseye
It'll be interesting to see what the NHL will do with 2005 draft if there's a season long lockout. Sydney Crosby is already tabbed as the 1st pick and is seen by some as the next Gretzky, but which team will get the first pick in 2005 if there was no season?
I was wondering that too. If they kept the same draft order from this year, it would be insane for the Caps to get both Ovechkin and Crosby. Of course if they re-hold the lottery or let Pittsburgh draft first, it would give whichever team wins two great prospects w/o a single game played.
Old 04-07-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well it looks like tanking the season and screwing over the franchise for years to come paid of for Leonsis. Good job.