Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Baseball Rule Question

Old 04-05-04, 04:21 PM
Banned

Baseball Rule Question

When a player is tagging a player for an out, does the ball have to be in the glove or hand that tags the player?

ie: a NON FORCE play at the plate, in which the runner misses home and the catcher chases him down and tags him with an empty glove (ball is in his other hand)....is the runner out?
Old 04-05-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk God

No, he would not be out.
Old 04-05-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No.

You have to tag the runner with the ball in hand. Otherwise, you could use any part of your body to tag him out.

At least that's how the rule has always been explained to me
Banned

can someone post a clarification or link to the official rule?
DVD Talk Hero

Need to be tagged with the hand that the ball is in.
Old 04-05-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A TAG is the action of a fielder in touching a base with his body while holding the ball securely and firmly in his hand or glove; or touching a runner with the ball, or with his hand or glove holding the ball, while holding the ball securely and firmly in his hand or glove.

http://www.eteamz.com/baseball/rules...fm?m=1,2,3,4,5
Old 04-05-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A TAGis the action of a fielder in touching a base with his body while holding the ball securely and firmly in his hand or glove; or touching a runner with the ball, or with his hand or glove holding the ball, while holding the ball securely and firmly in his hand or glove.
http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of...on_terms_2.jsp

(yeah, it's the same as above, but this is from the MLB site)
Old 04-05-04, 04:31 PM
Banned

thanks, i was sure that was the rule. in a game last year i saw the catcher tag with empty glove and the unsuspecting umpire called him out.
Old 04-05-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Blake
http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of...on_terms_2.jsp

(yeah, it's the same as above, but this is from the MLB site)
You're going to have more faith in the MLB than in eteamz.com?!?
Old 04-05-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Infield Fly / Dropped Third Strike

Okay, here's one. I understand the Infield Fly rule, when it's called, and that the rule protects the batting team. And I understand the Dropped Third Strike rule (quoted below), but I do NOT understand why the rule is there. Can someone explain the "why"?

6.09 The batter becomes a runner when_ (a) He hits a fair ball; (b) The third strike called by the umpire is not caught, providing (1) first base is unoccupied, or (2) first base is occupied with two out

Also, consider the following scenario. Lead off batter (none out, bases empty). 0-2 count. Pitcher uncorks a wild pitch that's clearly going to the backstop. Batter, knowing it won't be caught by the catcher, intentionally swings (and misses), then sprints to first base well before the catcher can retrive the ball. Is the batter out or safe on first?
Old 04-05-04, 06:35 PM
Retired

The batter would be safe. Pitcher's gets a strikeout, but no out on the play.

I don't like that rule myself. I think it should be an out and an error, with the runner still getting the base (assuming it wasn't the 3rd out).
Old 04-05-04, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by MACD23
thanks, i was sure that was the rule. in a game last year i saw the catcher tag with empty glove and the unsuspecting umpire called him out.
Yea everything about that play was messed up, first Byrnes missed the plate and then he just shoved Varitek as he went to retrieve the ball instead of touching home.

Then Varitek came back with the ball and touched him with his glove (and the ball in his other hand).

And the umpire called Byrnes out.

So pretty much everyone messed up on that play.
Old 04-05-04, 11:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TopHatCat64
Yea everything about that play was messed up, first Byrnes missed the plate and then he just shoved Varitek as he went to retrieve the ball instead of touching home.

Then Varitek came back with the ball and touched him with his glove (and the ball in his other hand).

And the umpire called Byrnes out.

So pretty much everyone messed up on that play.
DING DING DING.....we have a winner. my buddy and i were debating whether that happened or not, and i hate to admit it, but i think it did. i can't believe you knew the exact play was i was referring to.
Old 04-06-04, 06:10 AM
Stealth Moderator

Re: Baseball Rule Question

When a player is tagging a player for an out, does the ball have to be in the glove or hand that tags the player?

ie: a NON FORCE play at the plate, in which the runner misses home and the catcher chases him down and tags him with an empty glove (ball is in his other hand)....is the runner out?
So to clarify ...

It's an out ONLY IF THE UMPIRE CALLS HIM OUT. Otherwise he's safe.
Old 04-06-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i can't believe you knew the exact play was i was referring to.
A's fans know all the painful plays that knock us out of the play offs. jeremy giambi not sliding...tejada stopping and protesting interferience...macha pitch hitting Melhuse for Dye in the 9th with 2 men on...the pain never ends
Old 04-06-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The worst part about Giambi not sliding that one time is that the media sucked off Derek Jeter for months afterwards because of it.
Old 04-06-04, 04:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DaveNinja
A's fans know all the painful plays that knock us out of the play offs. jeremy giambi not sliding...tejada stopping and protesting interferience...macha pitch hitting Melhuse for Dye in the 9th with 2 men on...the pain never ends
don't even talk to me about a pain.