Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

ESPN.com Page 2's 2004 MLB Predictions

Old 04-05-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ESPN.com Page 2's 2004 MLB Predictions

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ge=gallo/april

I read through the first two months of this and it's a riot.

This is my favorite one so far:
May 28 -- The FCC fines MLB and its broadcast partners $4 million after announcers repeatedly mispronounce the last name of Pittsburgh third-base coach Rusty Kuntz during a broadcast of a Pirates-Cubs game.
Old 04-05-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kuntz...
Old 04-05-04, 05:03 PM

April 16 -- The earth stops spinning on its axis for three hours during the first Yankees-Red Sox matchup of the season, won in the ninth inning by the Red Sox when a routine groundball goes directly between Derek Jeter's legs and allows the winning run to score.

April 17 -- Alex Rodriguez's record-setting five home runs are not enough for the Yankees to beat the Red Sox, as Derek Jeter makes nine errors in a 15-12 loss.

April 19 -- The Yankees win the final game of the season's first series with the Red Sox, as Alex Rodriguez moves directly in front of Derek Jeter before each pitch and fields both shortstop and third base flawlessly.
Old 04-05-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It wouldn't be funny if it wasn't true.

Old 04-05-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

April 28 -- "So Taguchi" becomes a cool catch-phrase meaning "very clutch" in St. Louis, after Cardinals outfielder So Taguchi records his eighth game-winning RBI of the young season in a 6-5 win over the Phillies. Hip St. Louisians begin saying things like: "Dude, you were so taguchi yesterday in finishing up that presentation," and "I needed a babysitter at the last minute and my neighbor came through for me. She is so taguchi!"

I like, I like.

Last edited by B.A.; 04-05-04 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oct. 2 -- On his way to Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs take on the Braves with a playoff berth at stake, Steve Bartman hits Mark Prior with his car, breaking the ace's leg.

Old 04-05-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

June 1 -- Albert Pujols is named NL Player of the Month for May after batting .385 with seven home runs and 23 RBI.

Old 04-05-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

June 6 -- Barry Bonds debuts a new "forearm guard" -- an authentic medieval suit of armor weighing nearly 125 pounds -- and stands directly on top of home plate to take his HBPs in a 5-1 win over the Rockies.

June 17 -- The Brewers, for sale since mid-January, are purchased for $8.25 by a nine-year-old suburban Milwaukee girl at a yard sale near her house.

July 8 -- His weight down to 104 pounds, Jason Giambi is put on the disabled list after he breaks his wrist when a light breeze knocks him to the ground during warmups before a game against the Tigers.

August 15 -- Alfonso Soriano admits he died of old age in 1974 and is neither alive nor 43 years old.

August 16 -- Inspired by Soriano's honesty, Bartolo Colon, Rafael Furcal, Neifi Perez and dozens of other Latin players admit they are in their mid-60s or older.

Last edited by El Scorcho; 04-05-04 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-06-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sept. 23 -- The White Sox pull a prank on visiting Royals' first-base coach Tom Gamboa, hiring two shirtless men two jump onto the field and chase him around while Gamboa receives absolutely no assistance from Comiskey security personnel.
Old 04-06-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mordred
Sept. 23 -- The White Sox pull a prank on visiting Royals' first-base coach Tom Gamboa, hiring two shirtless men two jump onto the field and chase him around while Gamboa receives absolutely no assistance from Comiskey security personnel.
"two shirtless men two"
Old 04-07-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk God

April 26 -- Off to a 5-14 start, Tigers' manager Alan Trammell warns his players not to peak too early and to pace themselves for the long season.
Old 04-07-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk God

April 12 -- When longtime Phillie Mike Lieberthal blows out his knee in the first game at the team's new stadium, thousands of Philadelphia fans boo him as he writhes in pain on the Citizens Bank Park field. Lieberthal claims his knee was not prepared for the plush, forgiving, non-painted-concrete surface of the new stadium.
April 7 -- The MLB office announces it just realized it forgot to include the Brewers on the 2004 schedule, but that it will try to fit them in "here and there" when other teams have days off.