Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

If you were a GM, What would you offer Pedro Martinez?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-05-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pedro's contract is up this year. How much do you think he deserves? How many years do you think he should sign for? If you were a GM, what would you do?

Alot of people in New England are afraid to sign him to a large contract. Reportedly, the Sox want a clause that voids the contract if he gets injured a certain amount. Here are his stats. (Sorry I couldnt format it better)

2001 2002 2003

Games: 18-----30-----29
W/L: 7-3-----20-4-----14-4
CG: 1-----------2--------3
IP: 116.2------199.1-----186.2
ERA: 2.39-----2.26-----2.22
WHIP: .93-----.92-----1.04
BAA: .199-----.198-----.215
K's: 163------239-----206
Old 04-05-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd rather sink the extra cash into re-signing Varitek, Nomar, and Lowe.

Pedro makes like $16 mill...so just divide that up amoung the other three guys to increase their salaries.
Old 04-05-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by namrufmot
I'd rather sink the extra cash into re-signing Varitek, Nomar, and Lowe.

Pedro makes like $16 mill...so just divide that up amoung the other three guys to increase their salaries.
But then who would get Pedro? Probably the team that makes him the highest offer. Which would mean...

I would really like them to sign Lowe and Varitek, but they dont even seem like a priority. Not to mention Ortiz. I think in the end, they will get Nomar and Pedro signed. I hope Theo knows what he's doing.
Old 04-05-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk God

what is any other 14 game winner worth?
Old 04-05-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
what is any other 14 game winner worth?
C'mon thats not fair at all. The bullpen blew at least 6 of his games last year.
Old 04-05-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chrisih8u
But then who would get Pedro? Probably the team that makes him the highest offer. Which would mean...
not the Yankees. PLEASE, not the Yankees.
Old 04-05-04, 09:39 AM

Pedro is worth a lot, IMO. He's statistically an elite pitcher. However, injury concerns would probably net him a lower contract than what he could be worth.

The Red Sox should forget about Lowe (if he's anything like he was last season) and Varitek and sign Pedro instead.

He might miss a couple of starts and therefore not give you 200 IP anymore, but his 190 or whatever innings will be of a fantastic quality.

Last edited by Shamu; 04-05-04 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-05-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Though he is a top-notch pitcher, he is injury-prone. I wouldn't offer him more than $14 or $15 million. He is on the downside of his career afterall.
Old 04-05-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: If you were a GM, What would you offer Pedro Martinez?

Originally posted by chrisih8u

Alot of people in New England are afraid to sign him to a large contract. Reportedly, the Sox want a clause that voids the contract if he gets injured a certain amount. Here are his stats. (Sorry I couldnt format it better)
It is my impression that today he takes himself out of games and baby's his arm. I think a clause like that would only make him even more skittish.

I'm not shitting on him, because I'm a Yankees fan, I'm actually trying to be productive to the point of the thread.

My solution, offer him a guaranteed contract with vesting and bonus options based on number of starts and/or number of IP. This is the flip of a protected contract. This gives him the oppurtunity to make a boatload of cash but promises him a $ commitment, and gives him a positive motivation.
Old 04-05-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by B.A.
Though he is a top-notch pitcher, he is injury-prone. I wouldn't offer him more than $14 or $15 million. He is on the downside of his career afterall.
The twilight of his career?

Old 04-05-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pedro made the same amount of starts last year as he made in 1999. The biggest concern I have with Pedro is his stamina and his fastball. He doesnt seem to be able to deliver high heat anymore and doesnt seem to be able to pitch effectively in the 8th and 9th innings as much as he did before.

But I do agree that $14 or $15 million is fair. I'm not sure how much Pedro expects to get, but he's making $17.5 million this year. I think he realizes that he will be taking a paycut.
Old 04-05-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: If you were a GM, What would you offer Pedro Martinez?

Originally posted by Bushdog

My solution, offer him a guaranteed contract with vesting and bonus options based on number of starts and/or number of IP. This is the flip of a protected contract. This gives him the oppurtunity to make a boatload of cash but promises him a $ commitment, and gives him a positive motivation.
I think that's a good idea.
Old 04-05-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: If you were a GM, What would you offer Pedro Martinez?

Makes sense to me - I wish incentive-laden contracts would become the norm.
Old 04-05-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Shamu
The Red Sox should forget about Lowe (if he's anything like he was last season) and Varitek and sign Pedro instead.
The Mariners would be glad to take back Varitek and Lowe if you don't want them anymore.
Old 04-05-04, 03:58 PM

The twilight of his career?

Damn you Bushdog I wonder what % of Sox fans would take a swing at the Duke if they saw him on the street?
Old 04-05-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Roto
The Mariners would be glad to take back Varitek and Lowe if you don't want them anymore.
Varitek never played for the Mariners, he came up with Boston in `97 and has stayed there.

Lowe's 6.96 ERA as a Mariner isnt something people should write home about.
Old 04-05-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Fokker's Feint
Damn you Bushdog I wonder what % of Sox fans would take a swing at the Duke if they saw him on the street?
I hope a high %. Though as a Yankees fan I wonder if I have to like him? (nope)

I wonder how many other guys got the reference
Old 04-05-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont blame Duke for not resigning Clemens. I doubt he would have performed at the level he did for the Red Sox. He just didnt like being in Boston anymore. Clemens hated Duquette and wanted a change of scenery. Leaving gave him motivation and he excelled.

But I would still take a swing at him if I saw him on the street. And if someone had already beat me to it, Id kick him in the balls when he was on the ground.
Old 04-05-04, 04:55 PM

"Varitek never played for the Mariners, he came up with Boston in `97 and has stayed there."

The Red Sox traded Hecliff Slocum (Spelt right) for Lowe and Varitek back in the day. I was but a wee lass then, but that was the trade.

Pedro worries me every year, yet his ERA is always top notch, whether he is or not. He was probably the third best pitcher in the AL last year, even if his win-loss record shows differently. Nomar, too, scares me. The end of last year, he was just terrible. I hope he can fight off injuries this year and be the top short stop in the league (If not that, at least be better than Jeter), and return to his first few season's form.
Old 04-05-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I figure that eventually that small frame of his is going to just completely wear out and he will spontaneously combust out on the mound one day. But if you're the Sox, you gotta resign the guy, right?
Old 04-05-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by KTIK
The Red Sox traded Hecliff Slocum (Spelt right) for Lowe and Varitek back in the day.
Looks like I was (partially) wrong, Varitek was drafted by the Seattle Mariners in the 1st round (14th pick) of the 1994 amateur draft. He made his MLB debut in `97 with Boston.
Old 04-05-04, 06:08 PM
Banned

pedro's numbers are fantastic but the last few seasons he does not consistently get past the 6th inning in games. the real ace this year is going to be schilling and it will be interesting to see if pedro steps it up or whines like a b!tch.....

oh and i forgot, his fastball has declined bigtime.......a notoriously slow starter, this preseason has been his worst, he hit 90 mph on the gun ONCE. long gone are the days of 4-5 innings of 95 mph heat. after last nights loss, the nation already wants his head on a platter.....a touch much since we do have 161 games left afterall...

Last edited by MACD23; 04-05-04 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anabolic Steroids
Old 04-05-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Offer him $14-$15 million. Yes, he's on the decline, but no one fuels the fire more on that team than him. He is still a top-tier pitcher. And there is no way in hell he would EVER sign with the Yankees. I know that money talks, but I just can't see him signing with NY.
Old 04-05-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
Offer him $14-$15 million. Yes, he's on the decline, but no one fuels the fire more on that team than him. He is still a top-tier pitcher. And there is no way in hell he would EVER sign with the Yankees. I know that money talks, but I just can't see him signing with NY.

[Yankee Fans]We don't want Pedro!!!!!![/Yankee Fans]

As for Prior, Wood, Beckett, and K Rod.....that's another story.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.