Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Which team is more radiculos, the Yankees or the Lakers?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: ?
Lakers
18.60%
Yankees
81.40%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Time to hear from all the player haters. Who's worse? The Lakers or Yankees. The Lakers have a salary cap but are lucky enough to get some top players for pennies-on-the-dollar.......just because they want a championship ring. The Yankees basically buy up the talent with their super deep pockets and create their own all star team, but they do actually have to pay them market value plus a luxury tax.

So.....which is it?

Last edited by wabio; 04-02-04 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-02-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They're both full of a-holes, but the Yankees edge out the Lakers on this one, only because MLB is a much more relevant sport than the NBA.
Old 04-02-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Yankees. I dont care about the Lakers either way.
Old 04-02-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Yankees. The Lakers didn't spend a zillion dollars to buy an all-star team.
Old 04-02-04, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Yankees.
Old 04-02-04, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by El Scorcho
only because MLB is a much more relevant sport than the NBA.

(and yes, I go with the Yankees too. You can't hate the Lakers because all stars are willing to play for peanuts to win a championship.)
Old 04-02-04, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gotta be the Yanks (though I may be a tad bit biased). **** the Yankees - GO ANGELS!
Old 04-02-04, 08:32 AM
Mod Emeritus

They're both full of a-holes, but the Lakers edge out the Yankees on this one, only because MLB is a much more relevant sport than the NBA.
Old 04-02-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So would everyone still feel the same if.....say Garnett, Vince Carter, Marbury, and Iverson all went to L.A for free to get a ring?
Old 04-02-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by wabio
So would everyone still feel the same if.....say Garnett, Vince Carter, Marbury, and Iverson all went to L.A for free to get a ring?
Is that any different from the Olympic Dream Team?
Old 04-02-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by devilshalo
Is that any different from the Olympic Dream Team?

Well......they would all be playing for free and it would be a regular NBA season.
Old 04-02-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[obligatory statement for Bushdog]The yankees are playing completely by the rules and can't be blamed for trying to make money and win.[/obligatory statement for Bushdog]

The Yankees are worse, because the Lakers are playing with a salary cap, and should not even remotely be blamed because some players are willing to take less money to play there.
Old 04-02-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would feel exactly the same. Why is it wrong for players to do this? First off, it won't happen because of egos, and most of those players don't want to feel like they got handed a championship.

Many a time, I and others have lamented when some star player squeezes every last dime out of his team, thereby hurting the team's ability to get other players needed to win a championship. But as soon as 2 stars decide to take less money so that they might win a championship, people complain? WTF?
Old 04-02-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How come no one hates the Red Sox for spending nearly as much? I'm not a Yankee fan, but everyone seems to ignore the issue that the Red Sox have as much as, if not more talent this season than the Yankees.
Old 04-02-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by spainlinx0
How come no one hates the Red Sox for spending nearly as much? I'm not a Yankee fan, but everyone seems to ignore the issue that the Red Sox have as much as, if not more talent this season than the Yankees.
Well, the Red Sox payroll is some 70 million or so below the Yanks. Not quite "nearly as much". And their payroll, while high, is not so clearly out of line with every other MLB team. But I don't hate the Yankees because of their payroll. I hate the Yankees because they're the Yankees and I grew up a Mets fan!
Old 04-02-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Iverson agreeing to take less money.

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!
Old 04-02-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Blake
Gotta be the Yanks (though I may be a tad bit biased). **** the Yankees - GO ANGELS!
What he said.
Old 04-02-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is nothing Id like to see more than season ending injuries to a-rod and jeter on opening day while they go for a pop-up on the left side of the infield... guess which one I voted for.
Old 04-02-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Gotta be the yanks, who cares about nba to begin with?!?

I think it's pretty silly in both situations, people rejoicing because the lakers are winning, why wouldn't they? How couldn't they? Besides of course injuries or rape convictions is there a way the lakers could lose?

I would hardly call boston's payroll the same as the yankees.. Check the numbers, they're the closest 2 teams, but not really that close to begin with.
Old 04-02-04, 02:29 PM
Suspended

Can someone tell me how MLB is more "relevant" than the NBA? Relevant to what? Putting people to sleep?
Old 04-02-04, 02:38 PM
Retired

The Yankees. Without a salary camp, they try to buy championships. The lakers just got luck and got a couple past their prime players to play for nothing as a lame way to "earn" a ring before they retire.
Old 04-02-04, 02:39 PM
Retired

Originally posted by MJKTool
Can someone tell me how MLB is more "relevant" than the NBA? Relevant to what? Putting people to sleep?
Just a matter of taste. I used to be a pretty big NBA fan, but the quality of play is pretty crappy as a whole. Sure it's great to watch the Lakers, Kings, Wolves, Mavs and a couple other teams play each other. But there's so many bad teams in the league. I went to two Wizards games this year, and they were boring as hell (even though they won both games, Suns the first time, Kings the second). Those were the only times I've ever been bored at a sporting event.
Old 04-02-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool

the quality of play in the nba has gotten so poor, that it makes it almost unwatchable.
Old 04-02-04, 03:07 PM
Suspended

poor in what sense?
Old 04-02-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's remember that both teams are playing by the rules.

What if the Lakers win it all this year? Would that affect your decision?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.